IGNORED

Tengen NES Turbo Control Pads

neogeo79

I have a sealed one and a box only. Another collector I know has a CIB one and said that the controller had no branding on the front.

I've been looking for a Tengen branded one for years and have never seen one.

Does the back of that controller have any kind of company name or address? It would be strange if it was totally blank.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:46 AM, neogeo79 said:

Hi DK,  

The controller that it came with is blank on the back and when I opened it up the board has no company markings.  No Tengen anywhere.  Maybe they never had Tengen markings on them at all??

I'm going to guess that they just made a corporate decision and cheaped out on the NES controller, even though the Genesis and Snes ones have Tengen branding. Tengen was nearing the end of its life, so cost cutting was probably a priority. 

If I had bought this as a kid I'd be pissed off more about the fact that the cord doesn't come out the side of the controller like the pic. 2X false advertising!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Count said:

I seem to recall @Tengen on NA posting some back when with the Tengen script on the front like the box.

I was TENGEN on NA. 🙂

I have never seen a NES controller with the script on it. @Speedy_NES has a CIB one I believe. He might be able to chime in that the one in his box is unmarked like the OP.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 2:27 AM, DK said:

I'm going to guess that they just made a corporate decision and cheaped out on the NES controller, even though the Genesis and Snes ones have Tengen branding. Tengen was nearing the end of its life, so cost cutting was probably a priority. 

If I had bought this as a kid I'd be pissed off more about the fact that the cord doesn't come out the side of the controller like the pic. 2X false advertising!

1 hour ago, DK said:

I was TENGEN on NA. 🙂

I have never seen a NES controller with the script on it. @Speedy_NES has a CIB one I believe. He might be able to chime in that the one in his box is unmarked like the OP.

Yes, mine and every CIB that I've seen has had the unmarked controller. The note above about the location of the cable is interesting and something I hadn't noticed before on the Tengen box. I'll get to why in a second.

This particular controller must have been a white label product at the time, as it was sold under various different brands, mostly unmarked, but at least one with branding on it (Recoton).

The controller evolved from left-side cable to top-side cable placement, likely because the cable on the left would get in the way when handling the controller (I imagine most people wrap their palm across the sides). See Doc's variants that I've attached here. The image on the packaging would indicate that the left-side version came first.

It is possible that there are multiple Tengen variants, but I haven't seen them.

DSC01539.JPG

DSC06002.JPG

DSC06004.JPG

• Like 1