IGNORED

NES KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS CHIP AND SOLDERING PLEASE!!!

Hey guys...I'm wondering why someone would solder this chip like this whether is was a fix or not...looks like the battery was replaced and then this chip was soldered on...the game doesn't work and to me it's clearly because of this soldering job...who has the knowledge to tell me if I were to remove this solder could this game possibly work again...or do you think I would need to replace the while chip...this is for uncharted waters so not a cheap game to replace....here are some pictures....thoughts??

20210318_195628.jpg

20210318_195632.jpg

20210318_195639.jpg

Edited by Hollywoodcaddy
  • Wow! 1

Ah jeez someone went to town on that MMC5 chip. So the best way to clean this up is to lightly remove those blobs using flux and solder wick. The important thing is to be super gentle with those pins since they are easy to bend. Once the excess is removed, you can do some drag soldering in order to get it back in order. I'd recommend watching some videos on how to solder SMD parts, it will give you a better idea.

I have two guesses as to why someone did it: 1, someone was trying to remove the chip, and it is easier to desolder when you apply a lot of fresh solder like this; 2, the game wasn't working and the person decided to try to reflow it and failed. I'd just redo the whole chip at this point...

In terms of replacing it, good luck. It is an MMC5 Nintendo custom chip. Nobody is making repros of this chip and most likely never will. These chips are unobtanium otherwise...

Here's a nice video on how to SMD solder, I started it at about 14 minutes in. 

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS CHIP AND SOLDERING PLEASE!!!
12 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Ah jeez someone went to town on that MMC5 chip. So the best way to clean this up is to lightly remove those blobs using flux and solder wick. The important thing is to be super gentle with those pins since they are easy to bend. Once the excess is removed, you can do some drag soldering in order to get it back in order. I'd recommend watching some videos on how to solder SMD parts, it will give you a better idea.

I have two guesses as to why someone did it: 1, someone was trying to remove the chip, and it is easier to desolder when you apply a lot of fresh solder like this; 2, the game wasn't working and the person decided to try to reflow it and failed. I'd just redo the whole chip at this point...

In terms of replacing it, good luck. It is an MMC5 Nintendo custom chip. Nobody is making repros of this chip and most likely never will. These chips are unobtanium otherwise...

Thank you for the video bud 😁

13 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

That video is awesome...that's exactly what I needed to see....thank you!!!!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 6:22 PM, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do solder.  Does powering a component with shorted leads like this chip or shorting contact points on a board break that component or the board beyond repair?

I ask since I believe I shorted two contact points near the power in on a Sega Genesis. It could also be a bad power adapter. I had the system running for a couple minutes before I caught the power adapter creating the worst smell ever. I'm worried that applying power the system board with a new power adapter could break that adapter or testing another system with a possibly faulty power supply could break that system. The system had power, if I remember correctly (LED light on), but no video or audio.

5 hours ago, yZoneFox said:

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do solder.  Does powering a component with shorted leads like this chip or shorting contact points on a board break that component or the board beyond repair?

I ask since I believe I shorted two contact points near the power in on a Sega Genesis. It could also be a bad power adapter. I had the system running for a couple minutes before I caught the power adapter creating the worst smell ever. I'm worried that applying power the system board with a new power adapter could break that adapter or testing another system with a possibly faulty power supply could break that system. The system had power, if I remember correctly (LED light on), but no video or audio.

Depends what you shorted. I honestly don't know what you shorted, but it's not a very good thing in your case probably.

What you can do is check for shorts on the board you worked on (you should be doing this anyway after you work on it, even the best of us make mistakes). You can also test the power adapter not plugged into the console with a multimeter to verify whether or not it will be safe. If you are very paranoid, just replace the power adapter. Personally I use a current limited variable bench power supply, so if I do make a mistake, it will only go do far.

• Thanks 1

Man thats probably what would happen if I tried to resolder something (my hands are so shaky) and exactly why I bought a replcaement board for an arcade cabinet instead of recapping it myself, leaving hte old board for a someday project. Have a lot of respect for people who are able to work with electronics this way. If you take on the project of trying to fix this I'd definitely be interested in seeing your progress!

On 3/18/2021 at 8:22 PM, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I have not went through any of my extra games yet but off hand do you know if they used this same MMC5 chip in any other games or is this chip specific to this particular game?

18 minutes ago, Hollywoodcaddy said:

I have not went through any of my extra games yet but off hand do you know if they used this same MMC5 chip in any other games or is this chip specific to this particular game?

The MMC5 is a later chip used in NES games, only a handful of games used it and they tend to be a bit more uncommon. But here's a good resource for identifying which games used the MMC5 chip.

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/search.php?keywords=mmc5&kwtype=chip

Dont even bother.  Those legs are so tiny its virtually impossible to solder in a normal way.  I could be wrong, but the way those things are soldered is with solder paste.  Its like a toothpaste and your chip can stick on it.  You then put it in an oven that gets to the right temp and melts the paste and automatically bonds the metal parts together.  Its one of the reasons why its basically cheaper to replace those PCBs with new ones than to just fix the one component that needs replacing.  Also its this technique that makes it much easier to condense space on a PCB,

Well I removed all that damn solder and everything is where it should be now...everything is touching what it should be touching ...its all good now...BUT...the game still doesn't work, however it's not making an amplifier hum anymore when you turn on the power to the Nintendo...it just goes to pink screen ...which probably means it needs a new chip...at the very least I know I did everything right, the chip is where it's supposed to be and now I have the tools and knowledge to mess with my other broken games haha....thank all of you for your help...it is very much appreciated...for real guys...thank you thank you