IGNORED

Game Debate #41: Star Fox 64

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

It's one of the best games of its kind, although rail shooters are not really my thing. But I still enjoy it a lot, I really can't think of any game that comes close to it for me within the same genre. It was also the game that introduced the rumble pack which was revolutionary at the time. Overall I gave it a 9 since it's influential, fun, probably the best game in it's genre that I know of, charming characters, good music, it's just a blast. I wish that this wasn't the only good game in the franchise though.

As much as I still adore the original for it's tight ground breaking (for the specific time/console) design there's just no denying, if there is a true high point to aspire to in the franchise it's this game.  It just got everything so right, refined what they had done in the original, in the lost sequel until recently, got some new ideas thrown in and crafted a genius piece of work that's easily and so many times over replayable without getting even a hint towards boring.  Pop that basically unheard of before packed in rumble(pak) support and it really upped the experience as well.

9, but I have big nostalgia for it and have played it to death. I still walk around quoting the game at home. If my wife says "Who are you guys" to anyone in any context, I say "We're Star Fox". Then without missing a beat she'll continue with the response "I still don't know what that means".

• Haha 3

I didn't get to play much of this one except a time or two at a friend's house. From everything I've seen and what little I've experienced, it looks like a great offering on the system. I really should play my copy, as I've always loved the original SNES game and even found a great deal of appreciation for the late-to-the-party Star Fox 2.

Administrator · Posted

I had to give this one a 9.  What I remember most about this game, is just plain having fun!  It was somewhat unique at the time, and just a great shooting adventure.  Star Fox on SNES was a fun and impressive foray for the system, but the 64 version just took everything about the concept and made it much better.  If analyzed from a super technical perspective, I'm sure there are plenty of issues, but I don't care because the game is just a classic, fun game.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

i might own 2 as well 😮

one with a big box and a rumble pack included 😛  

Not in hand yet, but it is purchased 👍

64 and 64 3D!

This is legitimately in my top 25 all time.  By far the series highpoint, and the best rail shooter of all time.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1