IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest 2021 - Super Mario 3

BeaIank

I'm going to post this for now while it still looks decent, but I can do a lot better if I get some time on the weekend.  No point pressing on 1-4 and 1-6 because I ain't got the skills, and I accidentally killed one of the koopas in 1-3 early on, so that level was botched too, but I'm at 632,320:

EDIT: Score update, don't have it in me to hit a million...

1930968730_SMB3Score2.JPG.6469a98e213348ffaf6b99448383f219.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis i think you should try point pressing instead of point scuming

It's point scumming to me and I consider it really cheap, but if that's what the contest calls for, that's what you gotta do!  And I changed my nomenclature in my second post to the more positive sounding "pressing" so I could fit in with those of you who consider it a more noble act... 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

If this were a world 1, stage 1 competition, Id be killing it. This run was sadly cut short due to stupidity, but it gives me some hope going into the weekend. I get stage 1 amd 2 strategies. From there, I cant figure out where to point press. 

20210317_232527.jpg

Now that's point-scumming !!  Impressive!

"Skinny laughing doing 350"

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

EDIT: I just noticed after posting my pic that LCDs/LEDs are totally incapable of making sand look like the color of sand.  Look how pee-colored y'alls deserts are on world 2! 😛

I like my pee colored sand! 😄 I'm playing through an older el gato and it dims the screen a bit so I have to kick up the brightness, otherwise it looks fine.

Events Team · Posted
56 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Well Im a jackass. I confused you with @JamesRobotwho put up a crazy high score. My apologies! Its after you get awarded your points and sent to map screen

My score isn't that crazy.  If you're clearing 225k on level 1, you'll have me beat by the end of the world.

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's point scumming to me and I consider it really cheap, but if that's what the contest calls for, that's what you gotta do!  And I changed my nomenclature in my second post to the more positive sounding "pressing" so I could fit in with those of you who consider it a more noble act... 😉

whats cheap to you is fun for me noble or otherwise(?)... 🙂  

point scumming 1 million c'mon! 

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

But if everybody does it, it is no longer scummy, no?

How in hell could you have a SMB3 contest without hurting your wrists hopping on turtles' shell for minutes straight? This is the world we live in my good man!

• Like 1

Here's a go...:  World 1 Complete: 258,320

World 1 Complete 265,410

I couldn't use my usual tube because the frame obscures the score...

so I tried #2, (flat screen) with my Retron 1 = pic looks like trash and the score is still obscured by frame/pitiful display...

I tried tube #3 last night only to have a constantly flipping picture.....

Hauled out tube #4 today (that's the one normally reserved demo-ing NES consoles) then I remembered it doesn't have RCA hook-ups....

Was about to dig out an extra NES and co-axial it but decided to give #3 another go.  Lo and behold, the picture is not flipping and the score is visible; Hazaaah!

I never dreamed that just trying to playing Mario 3 would be like this...

Edited by PII

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Murray said:

Lol legitimate question. Is that before or after you get the bonus points for completing the level? 

After the bonus points for completing the level.
You need to have at least 15K points and stage 1 beaten on the world map on your picture for you score to count.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

Current scoreboard posted.

Also, you all who have been posting score updates in a new reply would help me GREATLY if you instead edit and update the original score reply with the new score and post that you updated your score instead.
It is a lot harder to tally the scores when you have like 5+ different scores posted around the thread.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Current scoreboard posted.

Also, you all who have been posting score updates in a new reply would help me GREATLY if you instead edit and update the original score reply with the new score and post that you updated your score instead.
It is a lot harder to tally the scores when you have like 5+ different scores posted around the thread.

Ok, sorry. I’m probably the main offender. I asked about this earlier but no one responded so I figured it was ok. I’ll go back later and edit my posts to make it easier on you.