IGNORED

Console Debate #19 Atari 2600

fox

How do you rate Atari 2600?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Atari 2600?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

The 2600 is a very interesting console, it has a cool history, and I love reading about the tech inside it, due to the incredibly lo-fi nature of it all. Babysitting the scanlines etc.

But I can't in good faith pretend it has any real value that isn't mostly historical. I still have one, but I can't see myself ever actually hooking it up again.

I guess the wood finish looks kinda cool.

• Angry 1

I decided on 6/10, but it's not an easy console to rank. It absolutely is one of the most influential, iconic and medium-defining consoles ever created and some of the programming wizardry and imagination that went into creating games for it is amazing. It is one of my favorite eras of gaming to read about.

But I honestly cannot recommend going back to it unless you are a die-hard fan of video game history and want to see what the early years of console games was really like. I've booted up an Atari and dabbled with it's games while working for my local retro game store and for me personally, it's just a terrible experience. While there are a number of games that still hold up today, the joystick is way too stiff for my liking. I never feel like I have good control over what is happening on screen and when the games as a whole are so basic, it just never feels like it's really worth the effort to go back to, even for the really good stuff. We've got great modern renditions of stuff like Breakout and Space Invaders, so I just don't see much value in going back for casual play.  

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Gave it a 7 (though, probably would be a 7.5 for me).  My first console!  Well, technically, we had the knock-off Coleco Gemini (a curiosity in itself), but we just called it a "Coleco Atari."  It will always be a special console due to it being the first I ever had as a kid in the mid-80s.  Many games are still pretty fun, especially the Activision games that @Bearcat-Dougmentioned.  My preferred way of playing Space Invaders is still on a 2600...even over the arcade experience(though the silvered mirror in the cabinet is pretty badass).  Warlords and Combat are still really fun to this day as well.

Of course, though it was fun at the time because I didn't know any better (besides the babysitter having an actual Colecovision), when the NES came out, that was it!  My mom sold the Gemini for a pittance at a garage sale ($10 with all hook-ups?).

I have an original, Sunnyvale Heavy Sixer now, as well as a four switch and Jr.  My kids actually quite like the 2600 because of the simplicity of the games.  My oldest loves Fishing Derby, so the old warhorse still has some sway to this day.  🙂

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted

While I appreciate the historical significance of it, and it was actually one of my first consoles as well, it's just not something that I have much nostalgia for actually playing, nor do I go out of my way any more to play Atari games.  

I got rid of my Atari stuff a while ago, as I was never really using it anyway, and it's not really something I've regretted in any way.  I realize this is simply a limitation of the hardware capabilities at the time, but most of the games just don't really have much depth for me to enjoy all that much.  There are some classic games on there like Break-out, Space Invaders, etc etc., but there are just better alternatives out there for me.

I know there are still some die-hard Atari fans out there, and that's great.  I'm glad to see others enjoy it, it just doesn't really do much for me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Inzoreno said:

I decided on 6/10, but it's not an easy console to rank. It absolutely is one of the most influential, iconic and medium-defining consoles ever created and some of the programming wizardry and imagination that went into creating games for it is amazing. It is one of my favorite eras of gaming to read about.

But I honestly cannot recommend going back to it unless you are a die-hard fan of video game history and want to see what the early years of console games was really like. I've booted up an Atari and dabbled with it's games while working for my local retro game store and for me personally, it's just a terrible experience. While there are a number of games that still hold up today, the joystick is way too stiff for my liking. I never feel like I have good control over what is happening on screen and when the games as a whole are so basic, it just never feels like it's really worth the effort to go back to, even for the really good stuff. We've got great modern renditions of stuff like Breakout and Space Invaders, so I just don't see much value in going back for casual play.  

This is me, 99%.  I haven't touched a 2600 in about 20 years.  The experience was ok, at best but I just couldn't get into it.  It was at college and a guy brought in his from when he was a kid and we had about 20 games to swap out, and those were most of the common ones.

The problem is, yes, this was an amazingly fun system when it was the best and all that was out there.  As a kid, I wore out Pac-Man (yes, that horrible port) and Pole Position. However, as soon as the NES dropped in the living room, it was "good bye 2600" forever.  That never really happened with other systems and I could always go back and play old favorites.

Regarding personal enjoyment of this console, this system really is about a 2 of 10.  But, regarding the personal historical experience and that I do enjoy reliving personal nostalgia, I bumped it up to 6.  Never forget your ancestors.  This feels like comparing riding in a horse and buggy to riding in a Tesla.  You almost can't put them on the same playing field, even when comparing just the latest 2D systems.  Regardless, riding around in a horse and buggy for a day (or week) just to get a since of history would be a great experience.  Regardless, it's not something I'd want to do often.  The same can be said with the 2600.  I'll keep my NES and onward, but the 2600 is there just to remind me of what we've overcome.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I gave it 7/10.  Sure it's primitive looked at from today, but it was so much better than the competition at the time. The large library of originals along with probably the most active homebrew scene on the planet gives games to match most people's tastes.

I also find it the most fun to collect for due to the wide number of real variants (not just trivial details like NES folk obsess over) and hardware releases, and it's probably the only mainstream system that nobody will ever have a complete set of games for so I'll never be "done."

The simplicity of most games makes it a perfect handheld, so my Flashback Portable actually gets more use than the original hardware.

• Like 2

4/10 and before you guys hate on me, just hear me out.  I acknowledge it's importance in gaming history. I'm sure had I played one in the late 70s/early 80s I would've loved it. But unfortunately my first console was NES and Atari 2600 has always felt vastly inferior, and primitive to the point that the games aren't even fun. I wish I could say I've enjoyed playing this system for more than 5 minutes but that would be a lie. 

• Angry 1

This is unrankable for me. In the purest of definitions, this is hands down the worst console I’ve ever played! But by the same token, it has some of the most nostalgic memories that I experienced as a child. 

I remember owning the C64 as the first gaming platform. My schoolmate who lived down the same street then bought an Atari 2600. I remember being envious at the time, and would go to his house often after school and play on his Atari. Then another nostalgic piece was playing River Raid on C64 cartridge with my dad, one of the very few games we had played together, himself not being much interested in games. Obviously, meaningless stories for most of you, but just to highlight that games can have nostalgic values as well as gameplay values.

• Angry 1

It's the best from that era, and in my opinion, several games are still fun to play today.  I used to own several consoles from that generation and I found that I just don't have the desire to mess with most of them and I've been slowly selling them off.  But I will keep my 2600 forever.  The model I have is the same model my Dad bought the week I was born and it still plays great.  I believe every gamer should try this console out at least once in their life.  

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Not related, but a couple of days ago I realized that Sonic the Hedgehog (1, 2 or 3) are all games you could play with an Atari controller.  All you need is a d-pad and one button.

Someone should do a demake of Sonic for the Atari, stat!  I'd play it... for 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, RH said:

Not related, but a couple of days ago I realized that Sonic the Hedgehog (1, 2 or 3) are all games you could play with an Atari controller.  All you need is a d-pad and one button.

Someone should do a demake of Sonic for the Atari, stat!  I'd play it... for 5 minutes.

Well, what do you know...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1