IGNORED

Game Debate #40: Streets of Rage 2

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I say this without hyperbole but SoR2 is honestly deserving of being in the category of "best beat-em-ups of all time".

The graphics are great and hold up even today. The soundtrack is just killer and one of the best retro video game soundtracks ever. The game play is easy to learn but reveals enough hidden depth to make it exciting to discover and master its nuances. It's length and difficulty are just about right: Not too short or to long.

I was a young fan of the Final Fight series but after really pitting the two series side-by-side and seriously measuring their qualities against each other, SoR (particularly 2) just comes out ahead in every category for me.

10/10 without any hesitation. One of the genuine greats.

• Like 2

Streets of Rage 2 rules.

Amazing music, the gameplay is satisfying and the setting is exactly what I want from a brawler.

The only problem I have with it is that I think it goes on for too long. Brawlers from that era have a sweet spot in terms of length for me, (about 30 minutes) and Streets of Rage 2 is twice that. I get fatigued a bit playing it to completion. Playing it on the Switch, where I can drop it and come back to it whenever,  it's a solid 9/10.

• Like 2

It’s pretty simple:

- a must play for all beat’em up fans

- if you’re not a beat’em up fan, then give yourself an uppercut and get outta here!

But no seriously, as far as beat’em ups go, it’s a near perfect blend of visuals, sounds, and gameplay on a 3 button controller! 

8.  Great game and awesome soundtrack. Remembering renting it at a Blockbuster back then, but never bought it or the first one (I think I skipped 3). But, I prefer Final Fight...that may not be fair, though...as I am talking about the arcade version of Final Fight when I say "Final Fight."

I got SOR4 last year from Limited Run.  Played a little bit and enjoy it, but really have to dive further into it, since I have been a "beat 'em up" fan since Double Dragon arcade at the bowling alley way back when.  😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumer said:

8.  Great game and awesome soundtrack. Remembering renting it at a Blockbuster back then, but never bought it or the first one (I think I skipped 3). But, I prefer Final Fight...that may not be fair, though...as I am talking about the arcade version of Final Fight when I say "Final Fight."

I got SOR4 last year from Limited Run.  Played a little bit and enjoy it, but really have to dive further into it, since I have been a "beat 'em up" fan since Double Dragon arcade at the bowling alley way back when.  😄

I see a few comparisons of Final Fight and Streets of Rage on several of the posts. The mere fact you are comparing a 16-bit console game to a classic arcade game tells you right there how much quality the Streets of Rage franchise is. I remember playing the first Streets of Rage game with a friend, and feeling that “arcade quality” experience in the truest sense. Streets of Rage 2 just delivered that same arcade experience with extra moves and refinements, and became an instant classic as well as being the gold standard for console beat’em ups. Pretty much in a similar vein to Final Fight being a gold standard for arcade beat’em ups.

Also, the soundtrack was absolute killer for its time. No other fighting games back then had that same aural goodness, which is no doubt what helped to elevate the SOR franchise above from the rest.

• Like 3

As far as the Genesis goes, best damn brawler on the hardware hands down.  Great controls, nice characters and enemy set, music well no explanation needed there considering how it's gushed over pretty much unanimously.

I know it won't be popular in a Sega pit, I still prefer Capcom's Final Fight efforts, but damn it's one of those near toss up level situations.  I gave it an 8, it's probably deserving as far as the system goes on its own in a bubble a 9 though.

• 2 weeks later...