IGNORED

Favorite North American NES launch title

Favorite North American NES launch title  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite North American NES launch title?

• 10-Yard Fight
    • Baseball
    • Clu Clu Land
    • Duck Hunt
    • Excitebike
    • Golf
    • Gyromite
    • Hogan's Alley
    • Ice Climber
    • Kung-Fu
    • Pinball
    • Soccer
    • Stack-Up
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Tennis
    • Wild Gunman
    • Wrecking Crew

I voted SMB, because of course.

And I'm really not surprised to see Excitebike in 2nd place, what's more susprising is the lack of votes for Kung Fu, which is a solid action title. Excitebike is a highly nostalgic title for almost anyone who grew up with a NES or Famicom.

I want to talk about Pinball tho. In my family, that was a solid go-to title. Both my parents,me and my younger brother all played it repeatedly. It's the first black box game I bought CIB when collecting. It has its flaws, but the ball physics are good and if you play it long enough you can overcome the unfairness of the bumpers on the lower screen. I keep going back to this title. 

I played a bunch of SMB this year because of SMB35, but I don't revisit it often otherwise. Whereas I'm always in the mood for a score attack on Pinball. It's great.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Love 1

Yes and not that long ago, and I think I said basically what the doctor did this time.  SMB excluded, what is your favorite title, because it's obvious that's going to get almost every vote

I put SMB due to no restriction.  If there was one I'd be having to choose between like Balloon Fight, Kung Fu, and Donkey Kong 3.  I had a few others but they stand out from memory the most.

Edited by Tanooki

SMB is a great game. I did not see it in the poll for some reason (and I was looking for it!) and assumed that was due to the question over whether it really was a launch title or was released slightly later.

Either way, I vote for Kung Fu. SMB1 is eclipsed by SMB3 for me. Even when I was a kid, it was my least-played of the trilogy. Whereas no game has surpassed Kung Fu on its own terms. It also has, in a certain way, deeper gameplay if you are trying to press points.

And these days, which one do I turn on, far more often? 

fu massacre GIF

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Link said:

SMB is a great game. I did not see it in the poll for some reason (and I was looking for it!) and assumed that was due to the question over whether it really was a launch title or was released slightly later.

Either way, I vote for Kung Fu. SMB1 is eclipsed by SMB3 for me. Even when I was a kid, it was my least-played of the trilogy. Whereas no game has surpassed Kung Fu on its own terms. It also has, in a certain way, deeper gameplay if you are trying to press points.

And these days, which one do I turn on, far more often? 

fu massacre GIF

SMB is in the poll; basically everyone has voted for it except for you and me, and @BreaKBeatZ who voted for Excitebike.

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

SMB is in the poll; basically everyone has voted for it except for you and me, and @BreaKBeatZ who voted for Excitebike.

yeah I see it in the results (pretty obvious) but only after I voted, when the radio buttons are gone. I’m sure I just skimmed past it accidentally. I still would have chosen Kung Fu for the reasons I mentioned “and, SMB, for those reasons, I’m out”

Shark Tank Mark GIF by ABC Network

Edited by Link
  • Haha 2

I kind of wish I just ignored SMB and left a note.  Digging Link's response.  More I think about it, probably would have come down to excluding DK3 from my last post and been that or Balloon Fight.  Both of them for his reasoning, fit, which gives them real staying power.  You can cheese and breeze the stuff for quite awhile once you get into the motions, but it's that how and when you choose to react that can throw you into a space to really rack up some points.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I kind of wish I just ignored SMB and left a note.  Digging Link's response.  More I think about it, probably would have come down to excluding DK3 from my last post and been that or Balloon Fight.  Both of them for his reasoning, fit, which gives them real staying power.  You can cheese and breeze the stuff for quite awhile once you get into the motions, but it's that how and when you choose to react that can throw you into a space to really rack up some points.

Donkey Kong 3 was released on the NES in June the following year.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:39 AM, Mario_Friend1982 said:

Donkey Kong 3 was released on the NES in June the following year.

Well then I guess it's good I would have excluded it. 😉  It already got dq'd.  I'm more split on the other two anyway, unique and VERY good, easily replayable without getting boring fast.

So I guess I forgot Balloon Fight came later then too... guess that narrows my answer to had I ignored SMB it would be Kung Fu.  Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley are awesome, but limited in scope and once you get the hang of either the challenge is all but gone and just an exercise in maxing the score or how long until its boring.