IGNORED

Most Overrated TV Shows

1 minute ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I feel like the Office is one of the best shows ever made.  My wife and I have watched thru the entire series 3 or 4 times and laugh our ass off the whole way thru.  Not only the laughs, you feel for different characters at different times.  The show is truly one of the best.

I agree with you 100% about the show.  I wasn't the name saying it was overrated.  I just said that I can understand not wanting to watch an show because of an annoying fanbase.  The Office fanbase on Facebook can be pretty annoying, but not annoying enough to make me stop watching.  

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I came here to ask how you can rate a show poorly based solely on fanbase, but then I remembered Rick and Morty and realized that I can understand that.  

The whole idea of 'overrated' aka 'you know better than everyone else' is so self-aggrandizing and indulgent it's ridiculous...

But yeah, Big Bang Theory comes to mind 😅

• Like 2

So my wife actually just watched Big Bang Theory all the way through.  In the beginning I think it was cute and entertaining but the premise wore thin pretty quickly.  I know by a certain point she was just powering through to see it to the end.  From the bits and pieces I caught of later episodes it was like self parody.  Better than some of the crap she watches.  There was that year she spent watching 8.2 million episodes of grays anatomy and its spin offs.  Now there’s sad fat girl show.  Or sad dead girl show. Oh your god.  At least she loves me enough to usually wait til I’m not around.  

Homebrew Team · Posted
6 hours ago, avatar! said:

Could never get through an episode of Big Bank Theory myself.

Watching any part of it without the laugh track makes you realize how terrible it is...

I was never a fan of the show, but I have seen a bunch of episodes.  Without the laugh track makes it so much worse. 

16 hours ago, Sumez said:

Did you watch it till the end? That show really goes out with its head held high.

I hated it at first when my girlfriend was watching it. A lot of characters were super annoying (especially the "redneck couple"), and the humor and pop culture references is just incredibly bad across the board, and fits very poorly with the setting.
But as the show moves on it starts to move away from Piper as a "main character", focusing more on other characters, and more on the dramatic side of things, and those aspects are told really well.

While I wouldn't say there are any "bad" seasons as such, the first three ones at least definitely pale compared to the later ones. I came on board for the fourth season (and although you'd lack some context for some of the characters, I'd say you can start out with that season just fine) and by the end of that one I was super hooked. It would be heavy spoiling to talk about why, though. 🙂 The events heavily influence the new directions taken in subsequent seasons.

I would be lying if I said the final season didn't leave me teary eyed.

Honestly, no. I stopped watching midway through season 4. 

On 2/28/2021 at 5:52 PM, TheBiRD said:

Will say Walking Dead. Even if I watched the all the episode. I reached my limit and can't watch Zombie shows or movies anymore.  Same with all the superheroes movies.. any of them.. Batman, Spiderman, Fantastic 4.. Boring.. 

I'm in 100% agreement here.  Back when people really cared about that program I'd get comments about not watching it, being clueless how great it was, how you just had to sit and get into it.  NO...I'm so bored and sick of zombie over exposure, they could have paid me in a focus study to sit and watch it and I wouldn't.

I kind of am on the same page as most comic book hero movies too.  I went to a good many pre-lame-virus with my best friend from work as we'd get out to do that and a meal to bs for a few hours, but I'm good with one and done, and even then, some I don't care to bother with.  I've even seen like Deadpool(never seen it) in a goodwill bin for $2 and walked right by.  I need a good added motive and motivation, big screen effects and friend, or I'm fine never bothering at all.

I got another to crap on, but I mean really we can blame it, but I'd call it a catch all for like 99% percent of those so-called style of shows... (un)reality TV and I glare icy at asinine non-survival based Survivor as a big culprit in this (I guess along with road rules, etc MTV kicking off the home drama version of it.)  Complete staged bullshit, and the parts that aren't, they set up stuff in a way it's hard to avoid getting the coached into canned responses to the dumb stuff.  That crap alone, that entire genre killed off so many worthwhile awesome TV 30min franchises and genres we grew up loving in the 80s and 90s.  Death of the quality sitcom nearly, and most action tv shows (like a-team and airwolf through cheese like Xena) got killed to make room for more of this addictive crap.

• Like 1

I have never watched or wanted to watch Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, or King of Queens. 

I quit OITNB too. I finished season 5 and had enough. I want a prestige drama like that (or violent soap operas as I call them) to tell me a story and be done with it. And feel like it’s going somewhere along the way. To me it was endless new things and people popping up. Sure, that’s like real life, but it’s not what I’m looking for in my entertainment.

That’s what made Breaking Bad and Prison Break so good imo, and I didn’t feel it from OITNB. Same reason I stopped reading superhero comics.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Link said:

That’s what made Breaking Bad and Prison Break so good imo, and I didn’t feel it from OITNB. Same reason I stopped reading superhero comics.

I loved Prison Break back when it was on.  I've rewatched the first 4 seasons (plus The Final Break) a few times, although seasons 3 and 4 don't hold up as well today.  I still say the first two seasons are absolutely fantastic.  I didn't get a chance to watch season 5, but I want to at least give it a try sometime.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I loved Prison Break back when it was on.  I've rewatched the first 4 seasons (plus The Final Break) a few times, although seasons 3 and 4 don't hold up as well today.  I still say the first two seasons are absolutely fantastic.  I didn't get a chance to watch season 5, but I want to at least give it a try sometime.  

I recommend it. I can’t give an opinion on 3 & 4 because this was over five years ago, but while watching it, I remember feeling like there was absolutely no filler, no unnecessary padding or waiting around.

• Like 1

For such an "overrated" show, I gotta say I've never met any of the people who like Big Bang Theory.

From my perspective it seems to be the show everyone loves to hate. And from what I've seen, that seems well deserved. Everything I've seen from it has been embarassingly bad. Much worse than Friends.

Edited by Sumez

23 hours ago, Sumez said:

For such an "overrated" show, I gotta say I've never met any of the people who like Big Bang Theory.

From my perspective it seems to be the show everyone loves to hate. And from what I've seen, that seems well deserved. Everything I've seen from it has been embarassingly bad. Much worse than Friends.

I agree completely. It’s utter crap. Yet it must be highly rated by someone — how else could it run 12 seasons? and if it’s bad that it receives a high rating from anywhere, that’s by definition overrated.