IGNORED

Most Overrated TV Shows

2020 article on the most overrated TV Shows per state

https://www.reviews.org/tv-service/most-overrated-shows-in-america/

My #1 pic, The Simpsons, came out on top in 7 states. Don't get me wrong, I used to love the Simpsons, back when "it was good", but wow, over the years it really lost its charm.

You agree? Disagree? Game of Thrones and Friends were also popularly disliked 🙂

• Like 1

I saw the title and I immediately thought Friends. I didn't like it when it aired and I still don't. I don't hate it, nor can I say I've not seen an episode or two that's made me chuckle, but the longevity of that show plus mass appeal would make you think it's the greatest TV ever made. It's not. At best it's on par with How I Met Your Mother and similar "group of friends" shows. They were great in their time, but this show should have slid into oblivion.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

So, a map of beloved shows 😅

It is truly remarkable to think about what percentage of The Simpsons is post-golden era

Yeah, well to be overrated it has to be beloved to a certain degree 🙂

It's really unfortunate what happened to the Simpsons...

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/pop-spoofs-no-longer-the-main-draw-20111109-1n614.html#ixzz1dHgzL7xF

The central tragedy of The Simpsons is that it has gone from commanding attention to merely being attention-seeking. It began by proving that cartoon characters don't have to be caricatures; they can be invested with real emotions. Now the show has in essence fermented into a limp parody of itself. Memorable story arcs have been sacrificed for the sake of celebrity walk-ons and punchline-hungry dialogue.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Seinfeld, the co-stars carried that unfunny hack.

Jerry Seinfeld was certainly not the "star" of the show, but overall I recall very much enjoying his eponymous show. Of course, it has been a long time. I do also recall that the writing by Larry David was excellent for the most part, and although NBC asked Seinfeld for more seasons, he refused stating that he had done what he set-out to do. I do respect him for that. Hard for me to say whether it's overrated until I watch it again...

On the other hand, I fully agree that Friends is greatly overrated.

Edited by avatar!

Lost, especially after the writers strike. The show just always felt like it was trying to jangle mystery keys in front of my face and it was leaving writing prompts and loose ends for some smarter writer to hopefully do something interesting with.

Me and my wife watched Westworld during the S1 hype and both thought it was pretty tedious outside the great premise.

Procedural Doctor/Cop/Lawyer shows (no other professions exist I guess!)

Sitcoms: Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, etc (Office is getting up there with their cult like fanbase)

"Realty" tv shows (cept National Geographic)

So yeah pretty much everything on broadcast tv 😅

Edited by fox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are widely praised for their comedy elements, but they are absolutely not funny at all.  Pure milk toast.  Id rather die than watch a full episode of either.

So you're saying you're milk toast intolerant? 😄

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Orange is the New Black. It started so strong, but man did it get dumb so fast.

Did you watch it till the end? That show really goes out with its head held high.

I hated it at first when my girlfriend was watching it. A lot of characters were super annoying (especially the "redneck couple"), and the humor and pop culture references is just incredibly bad across the board, and fits very poorly with the setting.
But as the show moves on it starts to move away from Piper as a "main character", focusing more on other characters, and more on the dramatic side of things, and those aspects are told really well.

While I wouldn't say there are any "bad" seasons as such, the first three ones at least definitely pale compared to the later ones. I came on board for the fourth season (and although you'd lack some context for some of the characters, I'd say you can start out with that season just fine) and by the end of that one I was super hooked. It would be heavy spoiling to talk about why, though. 🙂 The events heavily influence the new directions taken in subsequent seasons.

I would be lying if I said the final season didn't leave me teary eyed.

Edited by Sumez

8 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are widely praised for their comedy elements, but they are absolutely not funny at all.  Pure milk toast.  Id rather die than watch a full episode of either.

Could never get through an episode of Big Bank Theory myself.

Watching any part of it without the laugh track makes you realize how terrible it is...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I came here to ask how you can rate a show poorly based solely on fanbase, but then I remembered Rick and Morty and realized that I can understand that.  

I feel like the Office is one of the best shows ever made.  My wife and I have watched thru the entire series 3 or 4 times and laugh our ass off the whole way thru.  Not only the laughs, you feel for different characters at different times.  The show is truly one of the best.