IGNORED

I have a game on the way a language change version in same region NTSC-J, authentic 1994 cartridge for Super Famicom!

I have got lucky I think in the best way ever got my favorite game made and I finished on GBA. Except its the actual release in English language, the game Tales of Phantasia. In total disbelief because the game was never to be released outside Japan so it would have had to be released inside Japan and actually was 'NTSC-J English Version' for Super Famicom!

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Do you mean someone modded a Japanese  version?

Its the Japanese release 'English Version' from the time 1994, even says Super Famicom on label out of the ordinary. Pretty much like there are French games in Canada, a language version release still NTSC-J but English for play. Picture not good!

TOP_ENG_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Joyomofrobro said:

Its the Japanese release 'English Version' from the time 1994, even says Super Famicom on label out of the ordinary. Pretty much like there are French games in Canada, a language version release still NTSC-J but English for play. Picture not good!

TOP_ENG_1.jpg

That's a fan translation dude, a bootleg.

If you are interested in finding out more, you can visit the website for the translation here:

https://dejap.eludevisibility.org/top.php

You can also download the ROM for free, rather than wasting your money on that fake.

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 1

Hah, did you really think that was legit? 😄  Awesome.

There is a magnificently done english translation that went so far as I think to even re-doing that singing introduction to the game even along with other verbal stuff as needed in the gameplay too.  But that NEVER came out until the GBA release in english in the US.

You need to cancel the sale, demand a refund, if they get crappy, threaten to turn them in for selling counterfeits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

That's a fan translation dude, a bootleg.

I have the French Canadian language Zelda so thought it may be a Japan release from 1994 in English like we have the separate carts for them. English is big there so I bet I'm right but I'll have to see to confirm. I looked at the label and its looking to be from 1994, I can tell fakes but forgot to save a picture. I paid only $80 as my desire to see for sure grew!

064-Zelda3_French_Can2.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well, first of all, Tales of Phantasia was initially released in 1995, not 1994. Second, why are you so sure that an hereto unknown "authentic English language" Super Famicom game has been found for sale in POLAND of all places?

The first English release of this game was the GBA version. Very few Japanese Super Famicom games had English language support, LEAST of all RPGs with hours worth of dialogue.

As someone who owns a lot of SFC games, I can guarantee you this is fake. Unless you are happy paying out the arse for a fake, you should probably cancel the order while you have the chance. 😖

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Joyomofrobro said:

I have the French Canadian language Zelda so thought it may be a Japan release from 1994 in English like we have the separate carts for them. English is big there so I bet I'm right but I'll have to see to confirm. I looked at the label and its looking to be from 1994, I can tell fakes but forgot to save a picture. I paid only $80 as my desire to see for sure grew!

064-Zelda3_French_Can2.jpg

Hmm???

Why was the completion of the fan translation project (a monumental undertaking) such a celebration if there was already an English-ready version available?? 🤔🤔🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, OptOut said:

Well, first of all, Tales of Phantasia was initially released in 1995, not 1994. Second, why are you so sure that an hereto unknown "authentic English language" Super Famicom game has been found for sale in POLAND of all places?

The first English release of this game was the GBA version. Very few Japanese Super Famicom games had English language support, LEAST of all RPGs with hours worth of dialogue.

As someone who owns a lot of SFC games, I can guarantee you this is fake. Unless you are happy paying out the arse for a fake, you should probably cancel the order while you have the chance. 😖

Hey bro, it's similar to finding a Japanese prototype of Sonic in Taiwan...

Errr....not, lol. I don't think Poland had any connections with Japan back then, lol.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

What makes that one better? That's the same dude that released "authentic SMB 2 conversions" , which were actually just conversions that bootleg Taiwanense companies did.

Ehh, f it, he's a cyclist, let's give 'em a pass.

• Thanks 1

I should have said something sooner. Sorry, dood. 😩

Like others here have stated Namco never did an official English translation in Japan for this game.

However...

The seller does imply that it is a reproduction that includes the English translation. Which implies that he sells these as a means to financially support his hobby. Something that is a good excuse to buy if you are into that field of niche collecting. Because not many are, here, but that does not make it any less of a hobby to get into.

As for me, I looked into he idea of collecting games like these. But chose not to for financial reasons. 😅

In all cases I can only say is that if the seller is doing to reproduction, he is selling these to finance his hobby. Which, for me, is a good enough excuse to keep the game. Because it might help you figure things out in the long run.

Then again... I am basing that conclusion on my own experiences. So results may vary. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could see owning that game, just not that steep of a price is all. When you find that special game or few games so much you enjoy, a flash kit just sucks.  If I really enjoyed that game I'd grab it, with the english singing and script popped into it with those dual hacks that exist.

I would in fact pay for the NES copy of Sim City to be done, probably wouldn't be cheap, have to mutilate a KOEI game for it to get the MMC5+saving, or find a modern solution chip/board set.  I'd also love to get those 5 DX hacked color releases on GB of old gameboy releases of Mario land 1+2, Dr Mario(wow makes a difference), Kirby's Dreamland, and Metroid II too.  I've seen other neat ones, Doom 1 and 2 on GBA hacked to use the PC textures/detail level, etc.  But it always in the end pays to make sure you're not being taken advantage of on the price side of things.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 7:18 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

well it's your money, but still, it hurts a bit to think about the good game(s) i could have bought with 80$

You are right its just a fake and its not even here yet. I just invested in a Fishy Face sealed game of Trials of Mana that's more like it. I will be opening to play its my favorite game Seiken Densetsu 3 I see Fishy Face Games products are pricy!

• Sad 1

On 2/28/2021 at 11:41 PM, GPX said:

“Modern cheap” items of a rare nature = assume fake/bootleg

or another way of looking at it,

almost impossible to find vintage rare items for cheap in 2021!

I have finished Tales of Phantasia for the GBA and its excellent so got my hopes up. Not what I intended and its happened before. I am usually okay at game buying unlike me!!