IGNORED

What movie from your childhood did you absolutely love that you cant bear to watch these days?

SilverspoonGaming

When I was very  young (long before even video tapes) the local independent tv station used to run cheap Italian swords and sandals movies (which were even more cheaply dubbed and re-edited) on Saturday afternoons.  One set that they ran repeatedly was a bunch that AIP syndicated as entries in "The Mighty Sons of Hercules" . There were 13 of these gems and none (in Italy) originally featured a son of Hercules - although 2 did originally have Hercules as the star.  Very few of the sword and sandals movies hold up today (although there were a few good ones) - and these turkeys (in reflection) were pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Lots of movies are not as good as I remember.  I watched that damn Felix the Cat movie like a thousand times, and it's completely incoherent

Here is an obscure Felix the Cat piece of trivia from the very very early days of television.

https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2014/today-in-media-history-in-1928-felix-the-cat-began-testing-a-new-tech-called-television/

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Ok... I'll bite. Which one and why?

Tried to watch two of them as an adult last year:

a. really don't like most of the action scenes

b. at least half the jokes were meh for me

Exm. The opening the scene of Temple of Doom were jones is chasing the diamond on the floor and it keeps getting kicked away from him then the big coin starts to roll so he moves behind it to not get shot from bullets - 

Or the scene in Raiders of the lost Ark where they are in the market and it's almost like a scene from scooby doo when they are in the hall way and people are running in and out of doors.

It's got it's own type of humor, almost slapstick, that doesn't really do it for me as an adult.

• Wow! 1

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Any of the animated Disney movies. I watched them all as a kid, but I have no interest in them now.

Dude!  I can still watch Aladdin and Jungle Book any time. 

On a side note, the live action Aladdin is really good if you havent seen it.  Its funny as hell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fox said:

Flight of the Navigator, Short Circuit, Batteries Not Included, Mac n Me, Making Contact.  All kind of exist only as fever dreams in my head.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

man i watched these alot...

I actually watched Flight of the Navigator last year.  It was the first time watching it since grade school and I still enjoyed it.  Not as good as I remembered, but still good.  I need to watch it again with my kids sometime because I think they will enjoy it.  

• Like 2

Some of those stoner movies from the early 2000s. Try watching White Castle or Grandma's Boy. There are a few laughs but those movies are so beyond juvenile to me now that they're hard to watch. Also, there is usually a few funny parts near the beginning but as soon as the plot rolls out they become even more unbearable. 

19 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Any of the animated Disney movies. I watched them all as a kid, but I have no interest in them now.

Any time I rewatch any of the classics I'm genuinely surprised how well they hold up.

Actually, especially the much more recent rennaissance period lasting across The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, all just outrageously good movies altogether.

I've liked a few of their more recent movies, alongside the Pixar output, especially movies like Wreck-It Ralph and Wall-E stand out, but even the best "modern" family cartoons don't come close to that four-movie revival of the Walt Disney feature film brand.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The Last Starfighter feels too much like a weak Star Wars ripoff now. I loved it as a kid.

I can't even stay awake through Tron anymore.

Another childhood favorite Cloak+Dagger still holds up. As does WarGames.

Here's a pretty good cheap Star Wars ripoff (and it also steals from the Seven Samurai).

11 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Some of those stoner movies from the early 2000s. Try watching White Castle or Grandma's Boy. There are a few laughs but those movies are so beyond juvenile to me now that they're hard to watch. Also, there is usually a few funny parts near the beginning but as soon as the plot rolls out they become even more unbearable. 

For me, Grandma's Boy is one of those movies that if I see it on TV, I will always end up watching it.  In fact, I watched it two nights ago. As stupid as that movie is, I just really enjoy it.  It's probably my favorite "stoner/stupid/juvenile" movie ever.  

The Last Starfighter isn't one I saw as a kid, I only discovered it a few years ago.  I thought it was good, prob would have been one of my favorites if I saw this movie when I was like 10.  Didn't feel "bad" or "cheesy", effects felt very good for the era, and the story and performances had a lot of heart. 

The whole 4k thread makes me wonder how people are actually watching these movies.  The blu ray is really crisp and nice.  If you are still watching this on a worn out VHS and the picture quality is bad, that doesn't make the movie bad.