IGNORED

What’s your German experience?

Hammerfestus

3 week trip in summer of 2000 for high school. Went to Trier, Leipzig, Frankfurt, Munich, and others. It was wonderful! I visited the grave of Bach, ate half chickens from street vendors every day, and had a family stay with a young man who had a marijuana plant growing in his bedroom. Fond memories!

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted

Grüß Gott!  Ich habe gewohnt aus Augsburg von 1990 bis 1992.  

Pop was in the army a pulled a tour in Germany for a couple years in the early 90s.  It was awesome.  I went back in early 2000s for a couple of weeks.  Love the food, the beer and the fests!

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

I first took 3 years of German in high school because it was an under the radar screw off class.  In college I spent a month in ‘04 with eine Gastfamilie. It was a blast. Traveled all around was a fantastic guided experience taking language classes in a small town outside of Dresden.  I was studying Bio at the time.  Lazy decisions my junior year led me to switch majors to German Translation.  Spent a year studying at Uni Leipzig.   Probably spent more time taking “field trips” than I should have.  So many interesting adventures.  I hung out a lot with the Erasmus folks so I made friends from all over.  After graduation I tried out being a freelance translator but it was too much work for not enough money and no benefits. Fast forward a decade+ and I’m a SAHD now and my relationship with the whole thing consists of listening to Peter Wackel with my small children, sometimes watching movies in German on Netflix, and having a weird obsession with their historical linguistics and migration period history.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

how bout some room temp spaten?

You know from my time over there I really learned to appreciate a quality Pilsner just kept in a cool place.  I think the warmer temperature brings out the flavors and I’m pretty sure that’s why the American paradigm is ice cold.  It helps hide the fact that it tastes like shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

You know from my time over there I really learned to appreciate a quality Pilsner just kept in a cool place.  I think the warmer temperature brings out the flavors and I’m pretty sure that’s why the American paradigm is ice cold.  It helps hide the fact that it tastes like shit.

i cant drink a bud light unless its ice........nope thats a lie, i have drank over night opened bud light can....

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I took 3 years of German in high school when only 2 were required. This was strictly because half way through my second, required year (you had to have two years of a foreign language to graduate) my teacher retired and the sub was terrible. Anyway, my intent was to take three years so that when I went to college, I wouldn't be clueless. Well, I ended up getting a BS, not needing language credits and it wouldn't have mattered cause me small college didn't even offer a German course.

Oh, well. I did grow an appreciation for the language and the culture, though and I've meant to pick it back up for the past 2 decades.

• Like 1