IGNORED

Mega Mans excessive use of force

phart010

Usually Dr Wily is the aggressor and Megaman only fights Dr Wily in order to de-escalate the situation. Once Wily’s machines of destruction have been defeated, Megaman will usually stand by as Wily surrenders.

Not in Megaman 2 on Gameboy. In this game, after Wily’s final form is defeated (in outer space), Wily gets into an escape pod. Megaman chases him down in a Rush-transformed spaceship and launches a rocket at Wily’s escape pod. If there were no sequel to this game to explain that Dr. Wily survived the crash, you’d finish this game thinking that Megaman just intently killed Dr. Wily.

Use of excessive force, no?

Here is the bodycam footage:

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Two words for you.  Justifiable homicide.

Look what wily has been doing, it was a mercy killing for the population living and robotic.

Yeah. It kinda reminds me of the argument that Batman would be justified if he killed the Joker based on what he would be preventing in the future.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yeah. It kinda reminds me of the argument that Batman would be justified if he killed the Joker because all of what he would be preventing in the future.

Yeah I could see that.  I was thinking in the present.  So with what happened first in the original Mega Man, and MM2 GB is a mix of 2+3 on NES, he had already killed, maimed, and wrecked so much at least 3-4x already.  That would be like Batman saying he's had enough of Joker's shit after he already wiped out a few people and ran a few crime sprees figuring the jerk wasn't going to quit.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I could see that.  I was thinking in the present.  So with what happened first in the original Mega Man, and MM2 GB is a mix of 2+3 on NES, he had already killed, maimed, and wrecked so much at least 3-4x already.  That would be like Batman saying he's had enough of Joker's shit after he already wiped out a few people and ran a few crime sprees figuring the jerk wasn't going to quit.

That's what I was getting at. It wouldn't do much to keep the franchises running though. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

From a perspective of pure vigilante justice I think he was justified in doing this. But if I think about this from the paradigm of a law enforcement person, Wily was no longer an imminent threat when he started running away, so Megaman didn’t have to torpedo him 🥴

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It caused me harm. Financial harm, which is the worst kind of harm.

Even worse than this kind of harm?  Which is no doubt what happens when you try to sneak in cheap store brand cat food/cat litter...

PS: Of course my kitty would NEVER even think of doing anything like this...then again he doesn't have claws and I wear glasses so...

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Even worse than this kind of harm?  Which is no doubt what happens when you try to sneak in cheap store brand cat food/cat litter...

PS: Of course my kitty would NEVER even think of doing anything like this...then again he doesn't have claws and I wear glasses so...

Ouch that was terrible 😣

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

He disabled Wily's ship with a missile. Wily just happened to still be in it.

Ooops, burned up in the atmosphere.  Oh well!

That cat needs an accidental missile too.  Love to give my cat one too, it has literally turned into garfield.  We have to lock the food up or she'll help herself, all day, every day (and night) and to the point our plates are out in the food pantry shelves, and the cabinets are food... so now she'll even resort to eating paper (toilet paper rolls, paper towels, etc) plastics and other crap.  Cats are a trap.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:05 PM, Estil said:

He probably just disabled Wily's ship so he could capture him.  Remember, the first rule of robotics is that a robot must never harm a human being.

Wiley called him out on this in Mega Man 7, but Mega Man's reply was that he was more than just a robot.  Wiley is then saved by Bass at the last minute just before Mega Man offs him.

Edited by CMR

I mean Mega Man isn't a law enforcer or even a soldier so when getting into violence he isn't really obligated with anything. Also add the factor that both come armed and with the expectation for a deadly outcome ofcourse it won't be written out like that (it's a "friendly" game) but that is the underlying reality.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:26 PM, Tanooki said:

Ooops, burned up in the atmosphere.  Oh well!

That cat needs an accidental missile too.  Love to give my cat one too, it has literally turned into garfield.  We have to lock the food up or she'll help herself, all day, every day (and night) and to the point our plates are out in the food pantry shelves, and the cabinets are food... so now she'll even resort to eating paper (toilet paper rolls, paper towels, etc) plastics and other crap.  Cats are a trap.

My niece is a toddler and she started feeding their cats by hand by picking up pieces of cat food out of the bag. So whenever one of their cats gets hungry and isn’t satisfied with what he got in his bowl, he’ll cuddle up to my niece and she’ll run to the pantry and feed him bits of cat food. He trained her. Cats are so smart, which is what makes them the best.

17 minutes ago, Strange said:

My niece is a toddler and she started feeding their cats by hand by picking up pieces of cat food out of the bag. So whenever one of their cats gets hungry and isn’t satisfied with what he got in his bowl, he’ll cuddle up to my niece and she’ll run to the pantry and feed him bits of cat food. He trained her. Cats are so smart, which is what makes them the best.

Well mine I think has a medical condition over the one she already has as she has a special vet food because she'll get bloody pee from bladder crystals.  But even before that it happened some, just less frequently.  It reminds me of a story of a real kid I was told about who had no OFF switch in their mind about being hungry, so the parents had to lock every cabinet and deadbolt the actual fridge or the kid literally would gorge itself to death on food.  The cat is about the same.  She just eats and eats and eats if it's out and about, and when it's not, she'll go digging.  We lost enough bagged, boxed, and plastic sealed foods that we had to baby lock the food cabinet and put the plates etc from that space onto the food pantry.  That's why now she'll end up sometimes eating toilet paper, paper towels, other barely consumable stuff like a goat.  Sadly often she gets locked into the small mini back bathroom off the master (old house, how they were then) most the time.  I'd love to re-home her, but no one would put up with it, and that means death.