IGNORED

5 Screw Gotcha question

Falleninglass

I just picked up what looks to be a 5 screw gotcha. Label looks rough and like it was poorly glued on. At work so I haven’t opened it up yet, but are there any other indicators? Is the board different? Label different? 

Edited to add more crusty label pics. Plastic is warped at the top seam and side. 

DC1CEFED-D350-43F9-9D2C-B314443A7303.jpeg

563C96B1-C68E-4AC0-AB1A-2626A81F6C9D.jpeg

E5BFDA60-56E3-42E6-ACFE-FC48249F8261.jpeg

901C07ED-B1C9-4D4B-A0AC-BE9921AC08E6.jpeg

71FD25C4-E612-4E22-BB62-320B49D4F3B5.jpeg

0D7A0986-EAE8-42CC-B00E-B09DFDA87D0B.jpeg

445F9299-A886-4660-A554-FC3826B2C7A3.jpeg

E7279D46-371A-432D-915C-10ADEFEDAF16.jpeg

Edited by Falleninglass
Added board pics/ closer label pics

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

It's obvious they were trying to make a fake one, I think there are only a single digit quantity in existence.

I’m thinking so, but hoping not. It wasnt listed or sold like it was. $100 lot with three games, a nes, and some controllers. Feels like too much work for a sale, but it’s definitely possible. 

8 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

i would imagine if someone was trying to fake one, they would try to fake one to a collector who would want it in good shape because who else other than a collector would want it?  I think there are some more than 'single digits' but a date code always helps.  Take a pic of the PCB

That’s my hope too. I’ll post picks of the board when I get home tonight. 

19 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

i would imagine if someone was trying to fake one, they would try to fake one to a collector who would want it in good shape because who else other than a collector would want it?  I think there are some more than 'single digits' but a date code always helps.  Take a pic of the PCB

It looks like the glue got everywhere and they tried to clean up up and flatten out the label a bit better but it just got out of control so they abandoned it. They couldn't sell it on its own so they threw it into a lot with other games to get rid of it.

36 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

It looks like the glue got everywhere and they tried to clean up up and flatten out the label a bit better but it just got out of control so they abandoned it. They couldn't sell it on its own so they threw it into a lot with other games to get rid of it.

Well the date could would help significantly. 5 Screw Gotcha is the last 'big game' I would want but I refuse to pay a lot for a game I wouldnt ever play haha.

2 hours ago, Falleninglass said:

Updated board pics

Thanks for the update.  Looks like @Code Monkey called it.  The 5 screw Gotchas ive seen should have the date code on the PRG chip as 8748.  This one is 8819.  The rare 5 screw / 3 screw variants should all be late 87,  Theres a small possibility maybe it was a refurb but I would suspect this isn't legit.   Sorry!

*EDIT* I also just now noticed after posting this, I can see the left side of the label is lifting.  Didn't notice it before.  Def looks like a label transplant now, just VERY poor.

Edited by guitarzombie

On 2/24/2021 at 10:26 PM, guitarzombie said:

Thanks for the update.  Looks like @Code Monkey called it.  The 5 screw Gotchas ive seen should have the date code on the PRG chip as 8748.  This one is 8819.  The rare 5 screw / 3 screw variants should all be late 87,  Theres a small possibility maybe it was a refurb but I would suspect this isn't legit.   Sorry!

*EDIT* I also just now noticed after posting this, I can see the left side of the label is lifting.  Didn't notice it before.  Def looks like a label transplant now, just VERY poor.

This one looks like it literally sold today on ebay. Has 8813? How is the date code read? Is this one legit in your opinion?

***Edit*** 

I was looking at the wrong chip. The one from ebay looks legit. Date code is 8746 not 8813.

030B51D8-E9C6-4D24-B2AA-E9454BC2CBD0.jpeg

Edited by Falleninglass
Wrong info provided

Something seems a bit fishy here now.  They switched from 3 screw to 7 screw in mid 87.  So the rarest games that were 5 screw are very late 87.  If RC Pro Am counts as a real variant and not a refurb (do all those date codes match?) then that would be the latest with VERY early 88.  So that late into 88, I would find that highly suspect personally.

41 minutes ago, Hollywoodcaddy said:

I have a gotcha 5 screw...I'm sure I can open her up if it'll help you guys out any...but yeah....i agree...that one looks like someone tried and failed to replicate a real 5 screw...then tossed it in a lot to just get rid of it...sorry bud

Appreciate the help in any way. I didn’t buy it as legit, so luckily not financially invested. Would definitely be bummed if its not, but wanna do my due diligence. Found an old list from NA of the known copies. Just sent a message to Ferris and Ninja. If anyone knows if any of the others came over let me know. 

2D525CC8-6E5C-4062-91E9-494795456C1A.png