IGNORED

Game Night Feedback Thread

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

No polls, no funny business, that will come later today!!!!

So my thoughts here.  What do you all have for me, what would you like to see, what would you like to be different.  Is 1 game a bad thing to do since some folks don't like the game chosen?  Would someone like to step up and always host a mario kart lobby, an among us lobby.....would you just prefer to keep it the way it is?  

I would love hearing from you all on what you think is a way to refine the process.

Would you like more than one voice channel?  Would you like to schedule, the first hour for 1 game, the second hour for another game, then whatever the remaining crowd wants to play?  These are the burning questions I wanna know.  

How am I doing as a host?  Is there anything you need from me?  Something that you might think I need to do to make it a better experience?

How are the game choices......One thing I thought this last time, and I could totally be wrong, is that participation was lower because it is getting stale?  Maybe I read too much into it?  Not sure.  

This all being said, u all will still have your bi-weekly game nights, I am just looking for possible improvements suggestions.  

I personally like the way it is setup, but would love to hear your responses, because maybe it is something that could be implemented.

If I am doing a good enough job and you just want to tell me that too, then go for it.  I have no issue taking any kind of criticism.  I will not hold it against you and kill u first everytime 😏.  But seriously, let me know what your thoughts are, I wanna keep it as friendly as possible for all to be able to participate in.  This is about coming together, having fun and just enjoying 2 nights a month with friends who we have met through the great community we have here.  

--Jeeves

Also, if there are ever any concerns just pm me and bring it to my attention.  I would not like someone to feel they can't voice their opinion, but if you want to do so privately feel free!  I think the regular group we have is a generally good group and can all take criticism and evolve.  

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

My feedback is that people need to quit playing some of these games so much.  They're clearly too good 😅

For real though, my feedback is that Jeevan does an awesome job running these, at the cost of his own schedule, while asking for nothing in return, which means people need to stop griping about silly little things.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

These have been super fun and I'm happy y'all let me join in even before being a site member. I think one or two games for the night is great like we are already doing.

However I think we should change up the games a bit more, I seems we keep voting the same. So maybe an idea could be one of we play a game one night it's not added back to the poll until the 3rd meeting. Like if we play game A on night one it's not eligible for voting until night three. Might help keep it lively? 

And jeevan youre a great host. Thanks for putting this together for us. 😁😁😁

• Love 1

I think the current format works and you're doing a great job of handling and juggling everything.  One thing I would suggest as a change would be having a dedicated voice channel in addition to a dedicated chat channel specifically for game night.  It doesn't always happen, but when folks who aren't participating and/or aren't interested in participating show up and start having conversations that aren't related to game night and what's going on therein, it's a real distraction.  This got to be problematic this past time when we were playing games where we verbally had to communicate with one another, over top of one another, and there was occasionally another, totally unrelated conversation going on at the same time.

I still prefer Discord for all of our chat related services, but am willing to go whole hog to Gather if it makes things easier should they update their interface to scale properly so everybody can see everything in a room, that there are other rooms, etc. 😉

• Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
5 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I think the current format works and you're doing a great job of handling and juggling everything.  One thing I would suggest as a change would be having a dedicated voice channel in addition to a dedicated chat channel specifically for game night.  It doesn't always happen, but when folks who aren't participating and/or aren't interested in participating show up and start having conversations that aren't related to game night and what's going on therein, it's a real distraction.  This got to be problematic this past time when we were playing games where we verbally had to communicate with one another, over top of one another, and there was occasionally another, totally unrelated conversation going on at the same time.

I still prefer Discord for all of our chat related services, but am willing to go whole hog to Gather if it makes things easier should they update their interface to scale properly so everybody can see everything in a room, that there are other rooms, etc. 😉

We are still looking into gather, i was thinking that a dedicated voice channel instead of general might be something to add as well, but can't really stop people from coming in.  That being said, will take this into consideration.  +1 for gather 😉  lol

Edit:  Also, in regards to the late start/channel not being there, my wife had me flustered kuz she threw a birthday thing on me at the last minute!!!!  haha, i know u all understand so sorry but it happens and we all know it 😉 

Just now, Jeevan said:

We are still looking into gather, i was thinking that a dedicated voice channel instead of general might be something to add as well, but can't really stop people from coming in.  That being said, will take this into consideration.  +1 for gather 😉  lol

Well, +1 for a fixed, fully operational and featured Gather, anyway, lol.  Seriously, on any screen I have that gets "zoomed" by Windows to make the text more legible (even the "only" 1080p ones), Gather just doesn't scale the video stuff at the top of the screen properly and it blocks out more and more of what's up there the higher the Windows zoom/scaling is.  The ability to turn off, resize, etc. the "buddy" icons at the top would be a great feature and solve this single, outstanding issue with the new platform.  Fingers crossed they do so.

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Well, +1 for a fixed, fully operational and featured Gather, anyway, lol.  Seriously, on any screen I have that gets "zoomed" by Windows to make the text more legible (even the "only" 1080p ones), Gather just doesn't scale the video stuff at the top of the screen properly and it blocks out more and more of what's up there the higher the Windows zoom/scaling is.  The ability to turn off, resize, etc. the "buddy" icons at the top would be a great feature and solve this single, outstanding issue with the new platform.  Fingers crossed they do so.

let's hope so, can't guarantee it tho.  so for now we will continue our discord chats until we see what they do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Events Helper · Posted
7 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

My thoughts are I'm always working when you guys have them so I never get to join 😭

I need to practice against more people in Smash Bros

shoot.  do u work every other Saturday?  maybe u can join us for an impromptu one at some point.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned
  • 11 months later...
Events Team · Posted
49 minutes ago, Gloves said:

FYI Runbow is free on the Epic Store right now - we've played it a number of times for Game Nights and it's pretty fun. Would be worth grabbing to increase the options available to you if you don't have it already.

Didn't know that had been played for Game Night before. I'll definitely add that to one of the next polls.

Administrator · Posted

@ZeldaFreak regarding starting later - I'd be down for that personally. Typically, my wife and I will get dinner started/ordered at 7 or 8 and watch a show while we eat, usually done by 9. Not that I'd have it start 3 whole hours later on my account, but that's just what we usually do for reference.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

@Mega Tank @spacepup @Jeevan @Deadeye @fox @Vectrex28 @0xDEAFC0DE@DefaultGen@Gloves @Avgn Gamer @drxandy @SailorScoutMandy@ZeldaFan042 @BattySalem @Rhapsody98 @darkchylde28 @KokiriChild @Reed Rothchild @Scrobins @neodolphino @FireHazard51 @AverageOliver98 @nettenette @B.A. @Murray @a3quit4s @zi @G-type @ninjistar @Brickman @Aguy @Splain @Sumez @Hybrid @chair

I brought this up in the last Game Night thread, but to re-iterate, me and spacepup have noticed that not a lot of people show up right as game night starts at 6. Most people don't show up at 6, sometimes it takes 30 minutes or even an hour for people to start showing up. This last one, it took about an hour and a half for people to start finally showing up. So, I wanted to ask you all, would you all like for game nights to start at a different time? I could've done a poll, but instead I just came up with a little system to determine what your guys' opinions are on this:

IF YOU WANT GAME NIGHTS TO CONTINUE STARTING AT 6 PM EST: GIVE THIS POST A DISAGREE REACTION.

IF YOU WANT GAME NIGHTS TO START LATER THAN THEY CURRENTLY DO (SAY, 7 PM EST:) GIVE THIS POST AN AGREE REACTION.

If most of you want game nights to continue starting at 6, then no changes will be made. However, if most of you guys want game nights to start later than they currently do, then we can do some more in depth discussion on what time everyone would like, and once we decide on a time, starting on the next game night (Oct. 15) all game nights will start at that time instead of 6. Let us know your thoughts!

• Agree 6

Social Team · Posted

Of all the games times I've ever attended, I think only 1 time I showed up at 6.  I know a decent amount do show up early though so maybe there is a "Pre-game" where people can informally play any game before we do actually do game night.  Killer Bee is a short game that can be played with only a few people showing up as an example.  Just a thought and also maybe an excuse to push out the game night start time further out than just an hour.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

@Mega Tank @spacepup @Jeevan @Deadeye @fox @Vectrex28 @0xDEAFC0DE@DefaultGen@Gloves @Avgn Gamer @drxandy @SailorScoutMandy@ZeldaFan042 @BattySalem @Rhapsody98 @darkchylde28 @KokiriChild @Reed Rothchild @Scrobins @neodolphino @FireHazard51 @AverageOliver98 @nettenette @B.A. @Murray @a3quit4s @zi @G-type @ninjistar @Brickman @Aguy @Splain @Sumez @Hybrid @chair

So, it looks like the response has been pretty overwhelmingly in favor of having game nights start later in the night than they currently do. So... what time do you all think it should start at instead? I won't do a pseudo poll for this one, just want some general discussion on the topic.

For my two cents, I was thinking of having it start an hour later at 7 PM EST, since that's usually about when people start showing up, sometimes a tad bit earlier or later. Obviously everyone's schedule (and timezone) varies so we won't be able to find a starting time that's perfect for everyone, but ideally we want it to be around the time the first couple people usually start showing up. We could also do 7:30, however I don't feel we should have it start any later than 8 personally, anything beyond that feels like a bit too much of an overcorrection to me, and wouldn't be ideal for most I don't think.

But yeah, those are just my two cents, I think 7 PM would work well, but feel free to discuss this, and we'll go with whatever time the majority wants.

(Also sorry about all the pings, just want to get as much discussion about this as possible to gauge as many people's opinions on this as possible, and pings are usually the best way to get people talking)

Events Team · Posted
On 10/3/2022 at 8:20 AM, FireHazard51 said:

Of all the games times I've ever attended, I think only 1 time I showed up at 6.  I know a decent amount do show up early though so maybe there is a "Pre-game" where people can informally play any game before we do actually do game night.  Killer Bee is a short game that can be played with only a few people showing up as an example.  Just a thought and also maybe an excuse to push out the game night start time further out than just an hour.

Oh yeah, if a few people show up before the actual start time we're always free to play something in the meantime while we wait for more people to show up.