IGNORED

The Nyan Cat market has just exploded!!! $560,000

Screenshot-from-2021-02-23-19-59-52.png

https://news.artnet.com/market/nyan-cat-nft-sells-for-560000-1945679

When it comes to the title, I regret nothing!!!

Seriously though, I had never heard of something like this before!

...selling a digital asset known as an NFT—a non-fungible token—at auction...

What do you think? A good investment? Crazy? Is the world crazy? Why? I don't know...

No Idea Idk GIF by SWR3

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

Solid investment. Nyan Cat is a key 2011 meme and the first appearance of an animated toaster pastry with wide crossover appeal to weebs, gen Z, and adults who think cats are cute. Anyone collecting the full set of 2011 key memes will have to pay whatever the asking price now. 

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Lol, this type of thing is a bit old, kind of.  I got into the Nxt crypto early.  Over the years, they added features, including a shares issuing system.  Someone offered a shares market for a Nxt logo painting he made.  I think there were 10,000 share, and one share represented ownership in 10,000th of the painting.  The idea was to be a proof of concept that you can have a physical item, with divided ownership, and live markets can show you the immediate value of the item.

In this case, they just created an auction in ETH (or a side project) and all it really means it "you won the auction".  Hilarious.  That's more dumb than the Nxt idea. Well, brilliant for the seller. Dumb for the buyer.

• 3 weeks later...

$560,000? That's nothing!!

Screenshot-from-2021-03-11-18-35-47.png

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/11/most-expensive-nft-ever-sold-auctions-for-over-60-million.html

“As soon as I saw it, I saw it as this massive, massive potential for this as a platform for digital ownership of a bunch of different things, not just art,” he said. “Moving forward, I think this will be seen an alternate form of asset class.”

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/366648

The crazy thing about these purchases is that anyone can download Beeple’s artwork or Lebron’s highlight. It is as simple as clicking ‘save image’ on your laptop. What buyers are after is not the artwork in itself but the proof of ownership for that artwork. The buyers are akin to art collectors putting their most prized possessions on display in museums. NFTs represent a way for art collectors to encourage financially their favorite artists online.

Personally don't see the appeal, but that's just me... also not sure how you can really "own" digital art, but maybe I'm looking at this all wrong?

Vhs Crypto GIF by ZEDRUN

Edited by avatar!

@avatar! as I understand it, you have a license that says you are the owner. While it can still be shared and viewed by others, they don't own it. I'm not sure if that extends to usage rights or things like that? Kinda like how just because I buy a Mario 3 cart doesn't mean I am the rights holder of the source code. That's what I think anyway

31 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

@avatar! as I understand it, you have a license that says you are the owner. While it can still be shared and viewed by others, they don't own it. I'm not sure if that extends to usage rights or things like that? Kinda like how just because I buy a Mario 3 cart doesn't mean I am the rights holder of the source code. That's what I think anyway

Nope, you don't get the trademark or copyright to the digital item. All you essentially own is the code in a blockchain, but not the actual contents. Really all it serves is a proof of authenticity. An artist could create a unique NFT of digital art, right-click copy the artwork, and spread exact copies of the image all over the Internet. In theory, that NFT of the digital art still has worth because it's "authentic".

What good is it to have official recognized “ownership” of something if everyone is has free access to it?

With physical media the physical media was controlled by the publisher in that they were the only ones allowed to manufacture the media. Anyone manufacturing a copy without license could be legally pursued and charged.

With digital media, they’ve found ways to gate the media, only make it viewable as a streaming service, which you must pay a subscription fee to access. Or make it a digital file that is registered exclusively to one user, etc. 

Restricted access to media has always made ownership (or subscription) of the media synonymous with access to the media.

I’m confused with NFTs because you can have an image that everyone already has free access to view, but only one person “owns it”. In my mind it doesn’t fully click

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

What good is it to have official recognized “ownership” of something if everyone is has free access to it?

I’m confused with NFTs because you can have an image that everyone already has free access to view, but only one person “owns it”. In my mind it doesn’t fully click

Yeah, I hear you. I think @Teh_Lurv describes it correctly, which means you own an "authenticated" piece of digital art which otherwise is not any different than any other jpg etc as far as I can tell. I personally don't see the appeal, but to each their own!

9 hours ago, Teh_Lurv said:

Nope, you don't get the trademark or copyright to the digital item. All you essentially own is the code in a blockchain, but not the actual contents. Really all it serves is a proof of authenticity. An artist could create a unique NFT of digital art, right-click copy the artwork, and spread exact copies of the image all over the Internet. In theory, that NFT of the digital art still has worth because it's "authentic".

Interesting. Yeah I definitely don't fully understand it. But hey, some artists are making a killing on it so good for them

• Like 1

CNN purchased an NFT.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/14/tech/nft-art-buying/index.html

Pet3rpan is also one of 15 other owners of the 'Little Alien" artwork we bought, a scenario that's possible because it's a virtual piece rather than a physical one. Known Origin, like all blockchain-based platforms, lists all the owners of each piece, along with details of when they bought it and how much they paid.

I thought the whole point was that only one person owned the art? Apparently that's not always the case...

On 3/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, avatar! said:

CNN purchased an NFT.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/14/tech/nft-art-buying/index.html

Pet3rpan is also one of 15 other owners of the 'Little Alien" artwork we bought, a scenario that's possible because it's a virtual piece rather than a physical one. Known Origin, like all blockchain-based platforms, lists all the owners of each piece, along with details of when they bought it and how much they paid.

I thought the whole point was that only one person owned the art? Apparently that's not always the case...

I think it's easier to think of NFTs in terms of trading cards. If you own a 1-out-of-10 foil card of Pikachu, you don't own the image or have any rights to the IP, but you do own a physical object bearing the image that happens to be limited to 10 copies. NFTs are basically digital trading cards that can encapsulate other digital media. How many NFTs exist for a digital object is up to the person creating and selling them.

Edited by Teh_Lurv