3. 3. Choose one

• Harry Styles - "Watermelon Sugar"
    • The Weeknd - "Blinding Lights"
  4. 4. Choose one

• Lorde - "Royals"
    • Adele - "Rolling in the Deep"

This poll is closed to new votes

Editorials Team · Posted

Also, feel free to request a song for the next batch.  I'll select one of them.

• Don't pick some hipster band/song no one has ever heard of.
  • Don't pick an artist that already got their own thread, or might get one in the future.  No Duran Duran, Imagine Dragons, Oasis, etc.

8 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

This one was kind of brutal.  1222.  Really didn’t recognize most of the tunes.

hmmm...

Did I do that right?

At least it wasn't just me. I mostly just voted for the songs that I had actually heard before. Even though I think Kenny Loggins deserves his own thread, I'll request Danger Zone for the next round. Top Gun also needs to be in @Reed Rothchild's movie poll.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I‘Ve never heard of it until now but that watermelon sugar video is giving me the creeps.  Seriously weird hipster dude in Elton John glasses eating strawberries and stuff at the camera is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

Also my only experience with Lorde is that she’s really Stan‘s dad.

I've never heard of Slade's Run Runaway before but that's actually a pretty cool song. They're like AC/DC Jr from Scotland. Still, they had no chance against Come On, Eileen.

I greatly prefer Lorde's Royals to Rolling in the Deep, but in terms of overall pop songs, Adele has to get the win there.

Go West, Dexy, The Weeknd, and Adele for me.

23 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I‘Ve never heard of it until now but that watermelon sugar video is giving me the creeps.  Seriously weird hipster dude in Elton John glasses eating strawberries and stuff at the camera is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

Also my only experience with Lorde is that she’s really Stan‘s dad.

This isn't Twitter, so I feel like I can safely say that I think Harry Styles is awful without taking much heat for it.

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@Abelardo I've been leaning towards giving Tears their own thread.  They are borderline, much like Pet Shop Boys were.

Tears for Fears were really talented, it's just that this song overshadowed everything else they did, the other day a friend of mine undeservedly referred to Everybody Wants to Rule the World as their one hit wonder but I absolutely understand why. Pet Shop Boys have a few recognizable singles but nothing as huge as Rule the World, they're good and probably deserve their own thread but the backlog of bands must be huge at this point so this is a good way to get some of them out of the way.

Editorials Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

Tears for Fears were really talented, it's just that this song overshadowed everything else they did, the other day a friend of mine undeservedly referred to Everybody Wants to Rule the World as their one hit wonder but I absolutely understand why. Pet Shop Boys have a few recognizable singles but nothing as huge as Rule the World, they're good and probably deserve their own thread but the backlog of bands must be huge at this point so this is a good way to get some of them out of the way.

Did you tell him their big album alone has three top 3 songs? 😅

I voted Go West because I barely remember how the PSB song goes and I have no problem remembering the Go West song. King of Wishful Thinking is catchy as hell.

Come On Eileen is a no brainer. Never been a big Slade fan because I'm not British.

I'm not that familiar with either the Harry Styles or Weeknd songs. But I kind of enjoyed the Weeknd halftime show so went with him. BTW, Sign of the Times by Styles is a great song, IMO.

I really like Royals. Chose Lorde over Adele.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 2/22/2021 at 10:04 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Also, feel free to request a song for the next batch.  I'll select one of them.

• Don't pick some hipster band/song no one has ever heard of.
  • Don't pick an artist that already got their own thread, or might get one in the future.  No Duran Duran, Imagine Dragons, Oasis, etc.

Guess people aren't interested.  Oh well 😄

Editorials Team · Posted

No strong feelings in any direction, except against Lorde. Rolling in the Deep isn't a great song or anything, but I voted for it easily. I'd vote Wheatus over Lorde. I can't explain it.

The Puddles Pity Party covers of those 2 Lorde songs are actually not that bad though, whoever writes Lorde's songs should have written for him instead.