IGNORED

Console Debate #16 Nintendo 64

fox

How do you rate N64?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate N64?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

• The title was changed to Console Debate #16 Nintendo 64
5 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I just can't go full 10, im sorry, the snes is my ultimate favorite kuz its sooooo goooood, but im going full set on n64 so that is something right?  right?????

My finger is hovering over the ignore user button... 😑

I got a feeling the Anger Emoji is going to be getting a proper good workout from me in this thread! 😉

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Some great console exclusive titles in Mario 64, Smash Bros, Zelda Ocarina, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Banjo games etc. But on the flipside, a lot of average mediocre sports/racing games among the gaming library.

Overall, a solid 7/10. Not as much variety but some excellent gaming to be had!

• Like 2

I went with a 4.

While in high school, I worked on weekends around the neighborhood and saved to get an N64 on launch instead of PS1 or Saturn, and quickly came to regret my decision. Some of the games were over $100 in Canada, and I had a tough time finding things I wanted to play. All the RPGs were gone, sprite based fighters were gone, shoot 'em ups were non-existent...I only ever bought SM64 and LoZ:OoT Collector's Ed.

But that's all in the past. I look at it now - and the 21 games I have for it - subjectively with a 2021 lens and see a handful of fun games with a few more that I'd like to get, namely Mario Tennis, Golf, and Mario Party 1,2, and 3. I would also like to get the Ultra HDMI mod done at some point (when kits are available again) and maybe that will help...I honestly don't know. I can say that - for now - the N64 sits alongside the Casio Loopy with the distinction of being the only two consoles in my game room that aren't hooked up as I just don't get the urge to play all that often.

With that said, I will never have a negative thing to say to someone who loves the system, is passionate about it, and gets those nostalgic feels for it and its library (or is trying to get all the games); it's just nice to see people get excited for what they care about and that's enough for me.

• Like 1

I went 6/10. I wasn't a fan of it back in the day, outside of Mario Kart 64 really. Over the past couple of years I've started to appreciate it more, and there' some impressive stuff like the Tony Hawk ports or Perfect Dark. But overall, it's probably my least favorite Nintendo console. Which, 6/10 certainly isn't bad.

• Like 1

6/10 generously because the top of the library is so stacked. The bulk of the library is one of the smallest and least interesting for major consoles. Genres like 2D shooters, RPGs, horror, 2D platformers, action/platform adventure, get barely a couple of games each compared to the wasteland of B-list racing games and sports. The controller ergonomics go back to the pre-NES era, the 3D is blurry, and framerates are garbage.

My two favorite games ever are OOT and SM64, but after the Nintendo and Rare stuff, N64 is weak and looks ridiculous next to the cornucopia of genres and variety on Playstation.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I'm probably a little younger than most people here, so I pretty much grew up with the N64. Yeah the controller is janky, small library, etc, but probably my favorite multiplayer console. I still play Mario Party 1-3 every month with my friends. Micro Machines is probably my favorite not popular multiplayer game on the console. Throw in Mario Kart, Golf, Tennis, Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2... great time. 

Also from a collecting point of view I love the variety of consoles and controllers. Biggest gripe is not a good way to put the carts on a shelf.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I'm glad the poll responses on this one are public... Makes keeping my enemies list up-to-date nice and easy!

List GIF by memecandy

Let's see here... Jeeves... Tyler... The fuckin robot... Oof, these are some rough breaks here!

Hey now, N64 made the top side of average because we’re covering all consoles! Just be happy this isn’t rate Nintendo consoles or N64 would be scapping for the bottom spot with Switch!

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1