IGNORED

Intellivision Amico - WTF!?!

FireHazard51

This was announced a long while ago. I think there is a big thread on it over at Atari Age. Pat the NES Punk mentions it in his podcast fairly frequently, and Ive seen it mentioned a few other places.

Honestly looks like another Coleco Chameleon/New Atari VCS/Polymega type flop to me.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

It's legit.  Tommy is targeting the demographic the Wii left behind, grannys and people who loved bowling.  Their goal is super family friendly fun with cheap accessible games.  Every game will have multiplayer and have an E rating.  He's even hired people who helped market the Wii to market the Amico.  No idea if it will be a success, but it's definitely real.

• Like 2

Social Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, CMR said:

It's legit.  Tommy is targeting the demographic the Wii left behind, grannys and people who loved bowling.  Their goal is super family friendly fun with cheap accessible games.  Every game will have multiplayer and have an E rating.  He's even hired people who helped market the Wii to market the Amico.  No idea if it will be a success, but it's definitely real.

I've only watch a little bit but I think it has zero appeal to me.  Honestly I think VR will be the next "thing" for casual family play.  But we'll see.  I just ordered the PSVR and some games.  I think I'll have to bring it to the family Thanksgiving/Christmas to see my extended family and parents react to 3D games.

• Like 1

I think it has a small chance given it seems to be going after the classic 'tv games' style market of old... harmless E rated stuff where it's after not so much "gamers" but just casual players, non players needing a distraction, etc.  It does have some gamer cred thrown at it with a few releases to see if it can get a few of those types on board like Earthworm Jim but they know the worm and the rest isn't enough to get those core types.

Tommy has good ideas going, and isn't being stupid about it trying to lock his gems down on one piece of hardware either.  They'll be pushing their goods out as well on the Evercade handheld with an intellivision library on 1-2+ volumes starting later in the year.  I don't see them losing or losing hard like the stupid mistake the stadia and quite a few others were, but I don't see it going Wii crazy either even with the branding and marketing teams behind it.

I'm pretty sure the new Wii is the Switch, tbh... Just based on my experience with extended family, the Switch has DEFINITELY been the biggest hit I've seen with non-gamers in many many years, at least since the Wii days.

As for the Amico, yeah, I'm following the shitshow listening to Ian and Pat on the CU-podcast! I look forward to seeing them in the bargain bin next to the PlayStation Classics and OUYA's any day now! 😄

• Like 5

Events Team · Posted

I'm not really interested in these boutique throwback consoles especially in the $250+ price range.  However, if the VCS came with wireless Atari paddles, I'd be all over that just to play Kaboom! in comfort and style on the big screen.  Oh well, dropped the ball again, Atari.

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

I'm pretty sure the new Wii is the Switch, tbh... Just based on my experience with extended family, the Switch has DEFINITELY been the biggest hit I've seen with non-gamers in many many years, at least since the Wii days.

As for the Amico, yeah, I'm following the shitshow listening to Ian and Pat on the CU-podcast! I look forward to seeing them in the bargain bin next to the PlayStation Classics and OUYA's any day now! 😄

Well I'd look forward to seeing them there as well, but these bad boys won't even make it to shelves here 😄

13 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Honestly I think VR will be the next "thing" for casual family play.  

VR, even more expensive industry/professional VR, still has challenges that aren't really well aligned with playing with a console in the living room.

And there are bio-mechanical/ergonomic issues that probably mean it is never safe for children to use, regardless.

The muscle strain concerns of long-term headset use are a real issue, aside from how well any particular headset addresses possible impacts on vision.

• Like 1

I don't understand this console. The whole thing seems to be that you have centralized unit hooked up to a tv, and the controllers are like phones but for the whole family? It feels to me like they are trying to hit that demographic of kids who like phone games but don't have a mobile device of their own. Seems like an already really crowded market to be diving in, it seems that every kid these days has a tablet or phone and can download games for free. 

I wish them the best of luck with this one...

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:38 PM, OptOut said:

Agreed. I've met multiple people who are not "gamers," but picked up a Switch and Animal Crossing and play it all the time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I don't understand this console. The whole thing seems to be that you have centralized unit hooked up to a tv, and the controllers are like phones but for the whole family? It feels to me like they are trying to hit that demographic of kids who like phone games but don't have a mobile device of their own. Seems like an already really crowded market to be diving in, it seems that every kid these days has a tablet or phone and can download games for free. 

The controllers for the original Intellivision looked like phones.

2 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

The only people I've seen excited for it seem like Intellivision nostalgia addicts (I mean, obviously, look at the controller) who claim it will be perfect for playing with their families. Without the "Intellivision dad" who's going to buy it for their family, I have no idea who's going to buy this. Rare/failed console collectors? My wife and mother in law play literally 1000s of hours of mobile games, but they would have absolutely zero motivation to buy a $250 TV box that does the same thing and they can't play at the kitchen table, on the couch, in bed, etc.

50 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

The only people I've seen excited for it seem like Intellivision nostalgia addicts (I mean, obviously, look at the controller) who claim it will be perfect for playing with their families. Without the "Intellivision dad" who's going to buy it for their family, I have no idea who's going to buy this. Rare/failed console collectors? My wife and mother in law play literally 1000s of hours of mobile games, but they would have absolutely zero motivation to buy a $250 TV box that does the same thing and they can't play at the kitchen table, on the couch, in bed, etc.

I don't even get that! The name for Intellivision was bought so they could capitalize on a name that the common folk don't know anymore. This whole thing is dumb.

• Like 1

This reminds me of one of those delusional pitches on Shark Tank where the person is passionate about their product but completely blind to the business side of it as a result.

Even being interested in gaming and game related online content, I rarely hear about this thing.. I can't imagine the average consumer.

4 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

I don't even get that! The name for Intellivision was bought so they could capitalize on a name that the common folk don't know anymore. This whole thing is dumb.

That was my first impression as well.  I don't know why anyone would think using the name was a good thing.  It was a lame console at the time.  

But we should give Tommy the benefit of the doubt as he is obviously passionate about it and deserves a chance because of that alone.  But yeah, I have no plans to pre-order such a thing, and I am not sure what the market is.  Doesn't mean there isn't one though.

29 minutes ago, LaC said:

That was my first impression as well.  I don't know why anyone would think using the name was a good thing.  It was a lame console at the time.  

But we should give Tommy the benefit of the doubt as he is obviously passionate about it and deserves a chance because of that alone.  But yeah, I have no plans to pre-order such a thing, and I am not sure what the market is.  Doesn't mean there isn't one though.

Uh just because someone is passionate doesn't mean it gets a chance. If it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea. Mike Kennedy was passionate about the Coleco Chameleon too, so was, well everyone who backed the Ouya. Also it seems like Tommy has gone down much of the same road as these other failed or undelivered projects as in misleading information or attacking people that point out legitimate flaws instead of addressing the concerns. 

• Like 1

All of these non-truly-mainstream consoles basically look like overpriced Raspberry Pi's with a fancy shell and OS, promising to play oldies that literally anything from a watch to a full blown computer these days can play plus mildly enhanced versions of the same games.  No thanks.  For $200-300, I expect PS3-PS4 performance at a minimum these days.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...