IGNORED

Modern (Current) collecting

FireHazard51

Social Team · Posted

So I've decided that I'm going to be diving head first into the Sony Playstation Virtual Reality headset for PS4 as it's forward compatible with PS5.  And after looking into it I see that it's collection isn't too big (physical) which made me think of the possibility to do a full set of PSVR only NA released physical copies.  I know there are games that have PSVR compatibility but for now I'm looking at only games that are playable on PSVR.  When budget allows I'll add the other compatible games that are also PS4/PS5 compatible.  

So my question to the audience is how does one go about collecting for a modern (current) gaming system on a budget (aka buy at discount MSRP prices).  Are there certain types of games that you suggest I jump on ASAP as certain types of games are only going to go up in price or be hard to find for a decent price.  

• Like 1

There is about 90+ NA PSVR games (I don’t track only be vs compatible) but your best option is GameStop when they have their buy 2 get 1 free. Also, watch Best Buy and Amazon as VR games tend to drop in price a couple months after then disappear. They are not hard to find right now but I assume this will become a Niche collectible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all the advice above. You should be able to get a lot of these from GameStop on sale or in eBay lots. New copies also tend to drop in price pretty quickly since they don't sell nearly as well as standard games.   Even with backwards compatibility on PS5, I expect PS4 games to be pretty cheap for the next ten years or so.

If you're serious about getting these games for as cheap as possible, buy all the rarest or most expensive ones while they're readily available and then grab the commons as they conveniently appear. Also, get the big box items early as they tend to get clearanced quickly due to their big footprint on shelves and in warehouses (i.e. Farpoint with VR Aim Controller).

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I agree with all the advice above. You should be able to get a lot of these from GameStop on sale or in eBay lots. New copies also tend to drop in price pretty quickly since they don't sell nearly as well as standard games.   Even with backwards compatibility on PS5, I expect PS4 games to be pretty cheap for the next ten years or so.

If you're serious about getting these games for as cheap as possible, buy all the rarest or most expensive ones while they're readily available and then grab the commons as they conveniently appear. Also, get the big box items early as they tend to get clearanced quickly due to their big footprint on shelves and in warehouses (i.e. Farpoint with VR Aim Controller).

Good advice about the rare games.  Is there an easy way to figure out how many copies are made of a game?  I've seen a game or two already starting to skyrocket like Moss.  I'm supper stoked about the Aim controller so I've already bought it.  

I see that if I'm going to be serious about this then I need to get a list of games to get and start to prioritize some games.  I hope this console doesn't get too many of those Limited Run type of games.  Those fuckers never seem to go down in price.

Edited by FireHazard51

8 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Good advice about the rare games.  Is there an easy way to figure out how many copies are made of a game?  I've seen a game or two already starting to skyrocket like Moss.  I'm supper stoked about the Aim controller so I've already bought it.  

I see that if I'm going to be serious about this then I need to get a list of games to get and start to prioritize some games.  I hope this console doesn't get too many of those Limited Run type of games.  Those fuckers never seem to go down in price.

As a general rule, the rare games will also be the more expensive ones. Of course there are always exceptions, but if you just organize the list from most expensive to least expensive, that should be a good approximation.

I’m really don’t understand the attraction of Collecting for current gen systems.  If you wait a couple years  99% of the library is going to be lower in value.  And it’s not like you could really predict the 1% even if you looked at the production numbers.  Certainly I could see it for certain pricey genres but the actual rarest titles don’t usually end up as the most $$.  So I feel like collecting current gen shoots the collector in the foot vs waiting until say the end of the PS5s life cycle.

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I’m really don’t understand the attraction of Collecting for current gen systems.  If you wait a couple years  99% of the library is going to be lower in value.  And it’s not like you could really predict the 1% even if you looked at the production numbers.  Certainly I could see it for certain pricey genres but the actual rarest titles don’t usually end up as the most $$.  So I feel like collecting current gen shoots the collector in the foot vs waiting until say the end of the PS5s life cycle.

1. I don't care about the long term value of the games I collect, as I am collecting them for myself, not for some future sale
  2. I generally buy new and early because I know what second hand video games tend to look like - grody; I like my games to look nice
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gloves said:
  1. I don't care about the long term value of the games I collect, as I am collecting them for myself, not for some future sale
  2. I generally buy new and early because I know what second hand video games tend to look like - grody; I like my games to look nice

1. I wasn’t suggesting concern for future value as a commodity.  I mean the cost of adding them to your collection is increased. 

2.Won’t you still be able to buy them new at a cheaper price some years down the road?

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Hammerfestus said:

1. I wasn’t suggesting concern for future value as a commodity.  I mean the cost of adding them to your collection is increased. 

2.Won’t you still be able to buy them new at a cheaper price some years down the road?

1. Fair nuf
  2. Maybe not, and I'd rather not risk it

Tbf though, I'm not a full set collector or anything; I just pick up the games that actually interest me. At this point I'm picking up maybe 1 game every 2 months.

One of the biggest issues with collecting for modern gaming systems (PS4/XBO included) is that these generations have a very large number of low print games in their libraries.  And while not all of these games have shot up in value, the vast majority have at least maintained their initial purchase price.  Of course with the extremely large number of low print games, there are a lot of people that think the market can't maintain these high prices and the values may come down at some point.  Whether you believe that or not, it still leaves an extremely large number of games that have very limited print numbers which is a collector's nightmare no matter what the prices are.  And these low print games include several VR titles.  

6 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:
  1. Fair nuf
  2. Maybe not, and I'd rather not risk it

Tbf though, I'm not a full set collector or anything; I just pick up the games that actually interest me. At this point I'm picking up maybe 1 game every 2 months.

Lately, I've been buying games in a manner similar to what Gloves is saying.  In the past, I would never buy a game when it first came out because I would never want to spend $60 on a new game.  But in recent years, first party Nintendo titles tend to hold their value for quite a while.  Sometimes after an entire year has pasted, the used copy of a game might still go for $50.  Is it really worth getting a one year old game that is used and grimy just to save only $10?  At this point in my life, the answer is no.  That doesn't mean that I buy every single first party Nintendo title at launch, but I'm certainly more likely to do so now then I was 5 or 10 years ago.  

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Lately, I've been buying games in a manner similar to what Gloves is saying.  In the past, I would never buy a game when it first came out because I would never want to spend $60 on a new game.  But in recent years, first party Nintendo titles tend to hold their value for quite a while.  Sometimes after an entire year has pasted, the used copy of a game might still go for $50.  Is it really worth getting a one year old game that is used and grimy just to save only $10?  At this point in my life, the answer is no.  That doesn't mean that I buy every single first party Nintendo title at launch, but I'm certainly more likely to do so now then I was 5 or 10 years ago.  

Counter-point, with an eagle-eye and always asking for photos, you can definitely find good deals on used games that are a year or two old. If I am planning to play a game at all, I have no need for it to be sealed. Ergo, I buy used when I can because a 25% savings is that much extra cash I can put elsewhere.

But I do have exceptions. Games that are new, now, that I think may go up in value I'll buy brand new. This is mostly LRG stuff because almost every limited game I've wanted has gone up in value if I missed it. Choosing to wait for an LRG title when it is only available on aftermarket will almost certainly cost you more, even for a used copy. Buy it new through preorder if you can. The good news is that most of the cool indy stuff from LRG is reasonably priced at $30-40. Well, it is for Switch and I know you are talking about PSVR. Still, I'd imagine the same is true for simpler indy titles on PSVR.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

Counter-point, with an eagle-eye and always asking for photos, you can definitely find good deals on used games that are a year or two old.

For some games, this is true, but for the games I was specifically referring to in my example, finding one for that much of a discount over market value is a time consuming process that simply isn't worth my time anymore.  Yes, it's nice to apply those savings to future game purchases, but I don't just value the money I spend.  I value my time as well.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

For some games, this is true, but for the games I was specifically referring to in my example, finding one for that much of a discount over market value is a time consuming process that simply isn't worth my time anymore.  Yes, it's nice to apply those savings to future game purchases, but I don't just value the money I spend.  I value my time as well.  

Yeah, I can understand that, especially if you've collected all of the vintage games you want. However, if you still have a sizable want list (mine is about 500, old and new) looking for a cheap copy isn't a problem because in my case, I have 50 saved eBay searches that are always being managed and there is a bunch of stuff to look for. This might be true for FH since he's just starting and with time more and more VR games are likely to be released.

However, if you are practically finished collecting and have, maybe, 10-20 modern titles that you are interested in, I understand your point.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, I can understand that, especially if you've collected all of the vintage games you want. However, if you still have a sizable want list (mine is about 500, old and new) looking for a cheap copy isn't a problem because in my case, I have 50 saved eBay searches that are always being managed and there is a bunch of stuff to look for. This might be true for FH since he's just starting and with time more and more VR games are likely to be released.

However, if you are practically finished collecting and have, maybe, 10-20 modern titles that you are interested in, I understand your point.

Yeah, I'm specifically talking about games that are approximately one year old (as I mentioned in my initial post).  This thread is about modern game collecting and I was simply explaining why some people bother to buy games when they first come out because for some developers and publishers, the games hold their new value long enough that it's simply not worth the time it takes to wait for that game to get cheaper.  This primarily involves first party Nintendo tiles and game published by Limited Run Games or similar publishers. 

This doesn't apply to many high selling AAA tiles on Sony and Microsoft consoles.  For those games, just wait 3 months and buy it when it gets discounted to $20.  That's an example where it's worth the wait to save that kind of money.

• Like 2

Social Team · Posted
On 2/18/2021 at 9:38 AM, Hammerfestus said:

Even though it's "current gen", they were making games for it back in 2016.  So I feel like I'm not too bad of a position to start collecting.  Well except for a few games so far.  Limited Runs are fucking nuts and will keep that in mind for any future console I MAY collect.  

On 2/17/2021 at 8:51 AM, Mr. CIB said:

There is about 90+ NA PSVR games (I don’t track only be vs compatible) but your best option is GameStop when they have their buy 2 get 1 free. Also, watch Best Buy and Amazon as VR games tend to drop in price a couple months after then disappear. They are not hard to find right now but I assume this will become a Niche collectible.

I thought the PS Vita would be a Niche collectible console and therefore easy to get a big collection.  Let me tell you very few people had PS Vita and collecting for it isn't cheap/easy.  Since the PSVR is still in production and forward compatible with PS5 it has some legs to be more popular.  

Also since I finally got to play some games on it I can totally see it being a great console to collect games on.  It's very fun to play and games won't be too long/intense so I'll have time to play the games I collect.  Prices for games that are over in 5-10 hours go for cheap.  And honestly it's a blast for those few hours.