1. 1. What's your favorite Mario Kart?

• Super Mario Kart (SNES)
    • Mario Kart 64 (N64)
    • Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA)
    • Mario Kart Double Dash!! (GCN)
    • Mario Kart DS (DS)
    • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
    • Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
    • Mario Kart 8 / 8 Deluxe (Wii U / Switch)

6 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I freaking love CTR. I'll happily play the PS1 game over Mario Kart any day. Haven't checked out the remake yet

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how much content they packed into it. Half the content was released over time in free monthly patches but it's finished and all the content is there. Lots of tracks from other Crash games as well as original ones, and the ones from CTR of course. Not to mention almost every character in the franchise is playable.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this, just going back through the old debates.  I voted for 64 but what I'm really here to find out is why people love 8 so much.  It's honestly my least favorite of the console releases (never played the handheld stuff).  I find the tracks boring (they do look great) and the item box distribution is the absolute worst.  They just don't help/hurt enough to make a difference.  Passing people and getting passed rarely happens short of someone making a colossal mistake.  And hell, even falling off the track is barely penal anymore.  I'm sure some would consider these plusses but it just doesn't have that 'first to worst' chaos potential of the previous games.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Have you exhausted all of the gameplay in 8?

Dude, that game came out waaaaaaay back in 2014.  And the Switch has been around for four years now...we are loooooong overdue for Mario Kart 9.

Edited by Estil

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

But have you exhausted the gameplay in 8?

That's not the point and you know it.  Every console since the SNES and every handheld since the GBA has gotten a Mario Kart game.  And no, the Switch port doesn't count.

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Estil said:

That's not the point and you know it.  Every console since the SNES and every handheld since the GBA has gotten a Mario Kart game.  And no, the Switch port doesn't count.

I'll take that as a no.  Because I figure most people who have spent 100+ hours on the millions things in Mario Kart 8 are probably mostly satisfied.

Retire Smash Bros. and Mario Kart with the current iterations.  No need to retread the same ground yet again when fans have the two ultimate releases already.

Instead, bring us Mario Planes or Mario F-Zero or Mario Football.  Fuck anything.  Just not yet another Kart game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Estil said:

Dude, that game came out waaaaaaay back in 2014.  And the Switch has been around for four years now...we are loooooong overdue for Mario Kart 9.

12 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Have you exhausted all of the gameplay in 8?

I would rather they remake the rest of the previous Mario Kart courses and add them to MK8D than get MK9.  I tend to enjoy the cups that include courses from previous games and I'm always disappointed that some of my favorites from previous games are excluded.  So I would be happier if they focused on including ALL previous courses in the same style and graphics of the retro cups before making the next game.  

As long as this has been bumped, I will add that I recently (and FINALLY) bought a 3DS XL.  I've always owned the small screen versions of the DS and 3DS.  Since I finally have the larger screen, I've been going back to lots of older DS and 3DS games including MKDS and MK7.  MK7 is fun, but feels like a watered down version of MK8.  MKDS is just really frustrating and doesn't make me want to keep playing it.  Considering those were the two MK games that I had the least amount of time with, playing them now makes me more confident that my vote for MK8 was correct.  

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

There's a million things in Mario Kart 8? Honestly I thought it was one of the most lacking Mario Kart releases I've tried. It's a better game than Mario Kart Wii, but that one had more tracks, more modes, more everything.

🤔

MKW has 32 tracks and MK8D has 48?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Sounds like a lot of stuff was added in the DLCs?

Probably, since the strange way they are arranged compared to how their trophies are arranged implies they were not orginally there.  At least in 8 (which I never played).  8 Deluxe has everything straight off.

22 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Sounds like a lot of stuff was added in the DLCs?

The majority of people talking about MK8 are referring to MK8D which had no DLC.  As far as the original MK8 on the Wii U, a large portion of those sales came bundled with the system, and that version of the game also had no DLC and came with everything that was available on the Wii U version of the game.  Overall, a very small percentage of people have even played MK8 without everything available to them.  

8 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, I forgot the WiiU doesn't exist

I have more hours in the Wii U version than I do on the Switch version, but I've only played versions of MK8 that came with everything up front.  I've never had to mess with the DLC, which is true for the vast majority of MK8 owners.