IGNORED

Console Debate #15 Sega Pico

fox

How do you rate Sega Pico?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Sega Pico?

• 10/10 GOAT. Greatest console of all time.
    • 9/10 Bad@$$. One of the best.
    • 8/10 Exceptional. Everyone should play it.
    • 7/10 Superior. More than a few games you like.
    • 6/10 Good. You might occasionally enjoy playing it.
    • 5/10 Average. Smack dab in the middle.
    • 4/10 Mediocre. Not something you will go out of your way to play.
    • 3/10 Inferior. There are better alternatives to this.
    • 2/10 Poor. Barely worth turning on.
    • 1/10 Trash. No redeeming features.
    • Haven’t played, but interested.
    • No interest in it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/26/2021 at 07:00 AM

It's for little kids. There are some licensed characters but the storybooks (can't legitimately call them games) are purely linear and barely interactive.

I see the 2/10 I gave it is currently tied for the highest score the unit has received, so I guess that makes me a fan... Please, somebody, outvote me.

4.  I have one that I got for my children years ago. They have fun with it, but the titles are pretty mediocre after a bit.  They haven't played it in about a year, but my wife just told me this week ,actually, that we should hook it back up for our younger kids (I have 4 of them...oi).  

Of note, at least on my Pico, the cartridges are VERY FINICKY to get to work correctly.  It may just be my unit, but we have to constantly to insert and re-insert the cartridge story books to get them to make contact with the pin connector.  The Mickey Mouse cart is extremely finicky when it comes to this and we can only get it to play about 25% of the time.

Edited by Sumer
  • Haha 1

It's bad. I had one for years and used it once. I was impressed that the technology was there considering the age of the Pico but ultimately as a retro game console it has no appeal. Still o gave it a 4 if you're considering judging against other similar consoles like Leapfrog or Vtech type plug and plays. 

13 hours ago, asmikace said:

I remember reading that it was the most successful video game console in Japan lasting over ten years and really well in Korea. Even Nintendo had a Pokemon game for it

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Pico#Games

Amazing. 1994-2005. This thing was released when I was going into the eighth grade and died the year I was married. Quite a run.

I gave it a 2, it's not utter trash so that's outright unfair.  But it also is an educational toy and not a console in any shape or form other than sharing some game characters in those interactive story books.  This is more like a touch pad Teddy Ruxpin than a console so while it has educational value, outside of that, it's not worth even turning on as it makes for a poor console.