IGNORED

Game Debate #36: Tetris

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Insane depth and skill ceiling in a mathematically perfect package. I have the Tetris kick now and then but I can't give NES Tetris full marks cause of hypertapping, brutal RNG, no hard drop, no ghost piece and no hold piece. I'm not sure what the absolute best version of Tetris is but maybe one or more games in the series could garner a 10/10 from me, while NES Tetris 1989 is a solid 9/10.

Edited by sp1nz
  • Like 2

9.  Some years ago this would’ve gotten a lower ranking from me mostly because I suck at Tetris but the Tetris 99 helped improve my skills so that I can enjoy it at faster than the slowest speeds.  I still suck but at least now I can more thoroughly enjoy the game.  I also recognize it for what it is — the gold standard against which all puzzle games are measured.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

How hard was it for you to score 50k? That's actually not easy for someone who hates the game and is terrible at it.

im i really that bad at it? i hoped it was that i just dont care to put together a puzzle on my tv screen when i can do it at my moms house on her dinning room table.

i think i actually had to try to score that much and i hated every stupid L shaped second of it lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

im i really that bad at it? i hoped it was that i just dont care to put together a puzzle on my tv screen when i can do it at my moms house on her dinning room table.

i think i actually had to try to score that much and i hated every stupid L shaped second of it lol

It's all about those endorphin hits. It just feels good when you setup for a Tetris and then finally get that Tetris. Especially as the speed gets faster and sometimes it seems as if the long piece will never drop. It's so addicting.

It does take a decent amount of time to develop the muscle memory to play well. There's a steep learning curve.

• Like 3

"Tetris" is a very wide range of options here.

Are we just talking about the game concept in general, spanning across every implementation? The original Electronika 60 version, or the more popular MS-DOS one, or any of the arcade or console variants?

If it's just "Tetris" altogether, it's unbeatable. Surefire 10/10. Tetris The Grand Master 2 is the best implementation of Tetris that exists, and quite possibly the best video game in the world. It's pretty much the Chess of the video game platform.

I could go on forever, providing a wallpaper of text for every page of this thread, all it takes is someone to kickstart me. 😣

• Like 1