IGNORED

Game Debate #35: Panzer Dragoon

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Panzer Dragoon was a real cool game. As an early 5th-gen game, it had really nice visuals and an amazing musical score. Most importantly, it was fun to play. My only gripe is that it's definitely a very linear and somewhat shallow game, with very little replay value. Still, it was the surprise jewel of the Saturn launch lineup and a nice beginning to what would become a pretty cool, albeit short-lived, Sega franchise.

7/10

• Like 1

Man hitting the L and R buttons in the game for the first time BLEW ME AWAY. I can spin the character?? Also, the 3D intro was super dope and the world seemed like a weird mystical distopia I still don't really understand. And this was before the N64 shattered all 3D standards so the world to me was more than fulfilling.

I remember getting the demo for this and being shook to my pubescent bones. So for me, the game holds a ton of nostalgia. However, I just played through it recently and the critiques are valid. It's short, the story is... not all there? and the replay value is basically none.

Still, it's a real gem of a game on the Saturn and it's one that always sticks out from my childhood of owning a Saturn as a lad. This, Clockwork Knight Virtua Fighter 2/Kids/MegaMix and Nights into Dreams were all staples in the few years I had a Saturn, between getting a PlayStation and a Nintendo 64.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

Panzer Dragoon is just ok.  I think I liked the sequel a lot more with its expanded story, berzerker attack, and evolving Dragoon. 

The graphical style is unique the music is solid, but the gameplay and story are fairly shallow.  Game is super short, first run thru is under 2 hours, and there is no replay value.

The sequel and epically Saga are worth your time, but the original is more like a Saturn tech demo.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I played it 20+ years after it's release but I didn't get the hype surrounding the game. I thought it was pretty decent, I had some fun with it as well as the remake that came out last year. I gave it a 7/10, I'll probably never play it again, and I found it rather forgettable and short but it wasn't at all bad.

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Sumer said:

I actually have a Saturn stashed away...but just have too many other games to get to and don't have that strong of a desire to play this one.  You never know, though...

honestly, I never really knew saturn existed, all that much, i vaguely remember the name and what not, but not much else.

The Saturn is one of those consoles that I've never owned nor knew anyone that did, so it is sadly one that I have absolutely zero experience with. I would love to own one but who knows if that will ever really happen.

I have played Panzer Dragoon Orta a time or two but that is the extent of my experience with the series. Seems cool enough and I rather enjoy rail shooters. Maybe one day.

When I had my Saturn it and #2 were some personal favorites, and around/before/after that I even had the WIndows PC release which was sweet too.  While I call the game personally excellent, I rate it as just very good (7.)

It's great, quite great, but it's not the best, not the best that year, or even quarter (likely) it arrived.  What it is, is a semi-inventive fun take on the rail shooter the way it works itself out.  The format is and was fresh, lots of nice things to take shots at, and the locking system it used was pretty nice as well.  I liked the visuals, sounds, and music it all had making for a really nice package.  The only bit jarring was the FMV, felt even crusty for then given what PC was doing at the same time but you could (and I did) just skip it.

These days and a bit of shame here, I have it on Switch on card, yet I've NOT been able to make time to play it which is pathetic.  So much arrived in so short of an amount of time I haven't chipped into it.

I still wish I could run the old PC version, and the other Saturn ports (Rally, Touring Car, Sonic R, etc) but they use garbage 16bit installers so that's a dead one. 😕

I rated it a 6/10.

No shade towards people who voted “Never played it, never will” but I’m genuinely curious as to how anyone has that strong of an opinion against Panzer Dragoon lol. Seems like a pretty adequate experience. Good candidate for “World’s Okayest Game.” Nothing world shattering, but nothing awful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Strange said:

I rated it a 6/10.

No shade towards people who voted “Never played it, never will” but I’m genuinely curious as to how anyone has that strong of an opinion against Panzer Dragoon lol. Seems like a pretty adequate experience. Good candidate for “World’s Okayest Game.” Nothing world shattering, but nothing awful.

I never even looked at that until you pointed it out.  That seems way too high for its own good.  I mean I guess it would be easier to find people who hate a flying rail shooter I suppose over other stuff.

I have very, very little experience with the Saturn. Never owned it as a kid and only ever played it while working for a retro game store. Panzer Dragoon I actually did own once, but never played as I didn't own a Saturn. At this point, 0% chance I will ever play the original, but I do have the remake preordered through Limited Run Games and definitely plan on playing that.

I put 7, it’s a fun game with a really cool style. Kinda one of those decent big name series some people act like they’d die for for some reason although based on the ratings none of those people are on VGS. I grew up on SF64, my friend had PD, so maybe I’ve been biased from childhood to prefer Nintender’s big rail shooter for console superiority reasons.