IGNORED

The card market has absolutely exploded!!!

Dumars2001

11 hours ago, MrClutch said:

I can't watch anything Vegas Dave puts out. He invested over $2 million into Derek Carr rookie cards and is STILL holding on to them. I feel like he sold his Trout and messed up on Derek Carr so now he wants the market to tank.

I think the market will continue to grow but it very well could burst in a few years time. Just like anything. The one thing I'm scared of is the fact that all of these grading card companies have over a million cards backed up in their system waiting to be graded. Think about the effect those cards would have on the market if they were all released in the next year. I think they're doing a good job of trickling them out so we don't really see the market being flooded. That's just because they can't keep up. If they do catch up, or grading becomes automated, the market could take a huge hit when millions of cards start going to market at once. The population count of a Zion PSA 10 could go from 500 to 4,000 in a matter of weeks.

Trading cards can appeal to a larger audience than a lot of other collectibles. There could be trading cards of anything. For example. I bought one of my kids a $20 Fortnite Mega Box of cards at Target or Walmart for Christmas a few months ago. I also bought 3 more for me to put in my stash. Those boxes are worth almost $200 on eBay now. I probably passed up on 20 or more of those during the holidays. You know how many times I kick myself for not taking out a 2nd mortgage on my house and buying cards with it?

I literally spent $60 at Walmart 2 months ago on Fortnite trading cards that were sitting on the shelf along with a dozen others and now they're worth almost $600. I was just guessing they'd be popular and it wasn't much of a gamble but damn do I wish I'd have bought all of them now.

Think of how many topics have been started about the bubble in the video game collecting hobby. Did a bubble ever burst? I don't think so. When you have a market that attracts the younger generations, it'll continue to thrive. That's what video games and cards both have.

It's just like stocks. You can't worry about the trades you didn't make. Just look at the ones you did make. You made a reasonable investment and it increased 1,000% in 2 months. But it's a volatile market. It could easily crater in another two months. That's why you DON'T mortgage your house and put it all into trading cards. Overall, I'd say you did pretty well.

Anybody ever see this movie? It used to be on Netflix and I thought it was pretty interesting from our generations point of view. My dad used to take my brother and I to card shows on the weekends when we were kids. We used to get the Becketts in the mail every month... My brother ending up pulling the Griffey UD rookie. There's an entire segment of the movie on that card alone. And if your father was more into collecting baseball cards than being a parent... this might hit close to home, like it did for me. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@BriGuy82 these the guys?... thats def the guy with the skinny jeans should have punched that dude in the nose just cause...pulled from fb group 😉 

3765427F-985E-4DE9-B8D3-3A9B012C26A5.png

Yup, just like that. Those people look like royalty compared to the gaggle of whiskey tangos I saw. I said hey nicely to them. One guy just looked at me and just shook his head. Another guy threw his head back and muttered some shit under his breath, I told him if he had something to say, we could go outside and I could do the cha-cha on his face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2021 at 5:54 PM, BriGuy82 said:

Anybody ever see this movie? It used to be on Netflix and I thought it was pretty interesting from our generations point of view. My dad used to take my brother and I to card shows on the weekends when we were kids. We used to get the Becketts in the mail every month... My brother ending up pulling the Griffey UD rookie. There's an entire segment of the movie on that card alone. And if your father was more into collecting baseball cards than being a parent... this might hit close to home, like it did for me. 

They weren't figuring on the Internet/Ebay coming along and making it a LOT easier to get cards and other collectibles.  It's fantastic if you are buying and want to relive those memories like I did from my college years (early 2000s onwards) but for those who counted on these or beanie babies or whatever to pay off half their mortgage someday, eh, not so much.

Bottom line, do a hobby because it's fun and you enjoy the journey/challenge.  If you want to invest that's what stocks/bonds/etc are for.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, BriGuy82 said:

Thanks, I'll watch this movie. It got mostly positive reviews, some negative ones, but I think I'll like it.

So, is the baseball card bubble over? Still going? There are always cards that will be worth a ton, but are the vast majority of baseball cards especially those from the 80s and 90s just filler?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, avatar! said:

Thanks, I'll watch this movie. It got mostly positive reviews, some negative ones, but I think I'll like it.

So, is the baseball card bubble over? Still going? There are always cards that will be worth a ton, but are the vast majority of baseball cards especially those from the 80s and 90s just filler?

It depends on who you talk to, but I believe we are in full bubble mode. Everything is cyclical and it's just the perfect storm with people being bored with covid, there was also the Michael Jordan doc, Kobe Bryant's death etc... But when outside money comes in without any knowledge or care of the hobby, and there are group investors paying ridiculous prices for items strictly as investment pieces those are the truest signs of a bubble. In that Netflix doc, they talk about people lining up to buy out retail stores' inventory, things like that, same exact stuff is happening right now all across the country. I remember going to goodwill stores even 5 years ago and seeing full unopened boxes and factory sets of cards from the junkwax era of the late 80s and early 90s going for less than 5 bucks. I think it's gonna be alot of the the same story 20 years from now with what is being hoarded by collectors/ investors today.  

Thanks everyone for all your posts regarding the card market explosion and thank you so much to BriGuy82 for posting about Jack of All Trades. That was an awesome watch. 

I guess, we can change this topic (lol) to "The video game market has exploded!" I am seeing systems and games for all platforms going for unreal prices (I know it has been going on for awhile already and there is already a thread for this topic) in the last couple of weeks! Not quite like cards (YET!) but prices for almost everything has gone up! Here are some examples below!

$36,655 for a VGA 85 Nes Action Set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-NINTENDO-NES-ENTERTAINMENT-SYSTEM-ACTION-SET-FACTORY-SEALED-VGA-85-/363283946680?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&fbclid=IwAR1HYpTUwF2GvAnoEuqOfdf9BNxnAd9VWaJl84JiYFePBomL10FM2DMw-gg

$27,340.96 for Raw Sealed Snes Chrono Trigger

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-SNES-Chrono-Trigger-/383938787774?hash=item596488f9be%3Ag%3AkCUAAOSwrnhgHbOK&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$2,475 for Raw Sealed Sega Genesis Fantasia (Wow)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-SEALED-Sega-Genesis-Disney-Fantasia/284151535980?hash=item4228c0596c:g:YJMAAOSw4ZZgBO2D

$5,000 for a Vga 85 Nes Ghostbusters

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghostbusters-Nes-Sealed-H-Seam-Nintendo-WATA-VGA-Graded-85-Silver/254847559465?hash=item3b56192729:g:X-EAAOSw4XRgELZV

And I can literally go on and on and on with more sales. I will say all the Mario games (of course) are on fire right now!

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

Thanks everyone for all your posts regarding the card market explosion and thank you so much to BriGuy82 for posting about Jack of All Trades. That was an awesome watch. 

I guess, we can change this topic (lol) to "The video game market has exploded!" I am seeing systems and games for all platforms going for unreal prices (I know it has been going on for awhile already and there is already a thread for this topic) in the last couple of weeks! Not quite like cards (YET!) but prices for almost everything has gone up! Here are some examples below!

$36,655 for a VGA 85 Nes Action Set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-NINTENDO-NES-ENTERTAINMENT-SYSTEM-ACTION-SET-FACTORY-SEALED-VGA-85-/363283946680?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&fbclid=IwAR1HYpTUwF2GvAnoEuqOfdf9BNxnAd9VWaJl84JiYFePBomL10FM2DMw-gg

$27,340.96 for Raw Sealed Snes Chrono Trigger

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-SNES-Chrono-Trigger-/383938787774?hash=item596488f9be%3Ag%3AkCUAAOSwrnhgHbOK&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$2,475 for Raw Sealed Sega Genesis Fantasia (Wow)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-SEALED-Sega-Genesis-Disney-Fantasia/284151535980?hash=item4228c0596c:g:YJMAAOSw4ZZgBO2D

$5,000 for a Vga 85 Nes Ghostbusters

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghostbusters-Nes-Sealed-H-Seam-Nintendo-WATA-VGA-Graded-85-Silver/254847559465?hash=item3b56192729:g:X-EAAOSw4XRgELZV

And I can literally go on and on and on with more sales. I will say all the Mario games (of course) are on fire right now!

Yes, most all hobbies and many stocks are going ridiculous right now.  The NES Ghostbusters link you posted was low though, that was a quick BIN.  That one is worth double at least.

Local card shop burglarized for its base set booster box. Sad stuff to steal from what must be your local store. Gonna take a wild guess that the two perpetrators will not be smart enough to sell it without getting caught.

https://www.ky3.com/2021/02/23/thieves-steal-50000-from-springfield-mo-game-store/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kytv&fbclid=IwAR3bWvkr5FYYIoq9VI-1yoBkO0_aBesXEwV22WraoSyVuaT3GncSxmtgUcE

Not to victim blame, but damn, do card shops with $50,000+ in merch in the glass case not lock their product up in a safe overnight?? When Trade N Games was burglarized, they had to steal the entire safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Came here to say Pokémon is where the money is. Mostly thanks to the influx of 20-something and 30-something Youtubers on nostalgia trips spending crazy money. A 1st Edition PSA 10 Base Set Charizard is now worth six figures, potentially even upwards of half a million dollars.

Edited by KokiriChild

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I looked over that card with a 10x magnifier…it was tough to find a flaw. Bottom border cut might have been the knock.

Sometimes they will let small things slide even on a 10. I remember back in the day when mint used to be a perfect card, but PSA started the gem mint thing and then Beckett and SGC made a 9.5 gem mint and 10s pristine. I remember pulling cards straight out of backs even in the early 2000s and getting mostly PSA 8s, a handful of 9s and maybe one 10 out of every 50 cards. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I looked over that card with a 10x magnifier…it was tough to find a flaw. Bottom border cut might have been the knock.

What do you use to look for flaws?  Microscope?  I picked up a Topps Jete Gold Rookie for $10 recently.  Want to give it a close look for any flaws.  Might get it graded.

Edited by tbone3969

I'm not really into cards any more, but I assume that when the card grading companies really started focusing on how centered cards were, that's when they were trying to increase scarcity of 10s.

I really don't know the history of grade values and overall populations, but if there was a glut period of people no longer submitting cards, it would make sense for the graders to want to shake things up a bit and make "pristine" 10s even harder to come by.

When I hear someone say they thought they had a "perfect" card, my assumption is that the grader took out some type of micro measuring tool, and found that the card wasn't perfectly centered by 1/10th of a millimeter or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise me if that have quotas, or rather, they set limits to how many 10s they let out the door for a given day/week.   By limiting that number, people are more inclined to submit cards because it really is a gamble to see how good your card will grade.  

3 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm not really into cards any more, but I assume that when the card grading companies really started focusing on how centered cards were, that's when they were trying to increase scarcity of 10s.

I really don't know the history of grade values and overall populations, but if there was a glut period of people no longer submitting cards, it would make sense for the graders to want to shake things up a bit and make "pristine" 10s even harder to come by.

When I hear someone say they thought they had a "perfect" card, my assumption is that the grader took out some type of micro measuring tool, and found that the card wasn't perfectly centered by 1/10th of a millimeter or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise me if that have quotas, or rather, they set limits to how many 10s they let out the door for a given day/week.   By limiting that number, people are more inclined to submit cards because it really is a gamble to see how good your card will grade.  

In the end it is still a human deciding so there are always be variances.  I've seen plenty of tens with minor marks on them.  And I have seen 8s that I can not find a single flaw in.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Agree 1