IGNORED

The card market has absolutely exploded!!!

Dumars2001

On 2/6/2021 at 8:54 AM, BriGuy82 said:

It's amazing how much tougher and more competitive players were 20+years ago. I'm a knicks fan, but I can respect how much Alonzo Mourning hated us. That guy wanted to win. 

I honestly dont watch basketball anymore because they call a foul if you breathe on another guy.  I loved the hardcore basketball where you would get elbowed in the face every time you drove to the basket.  Its just not exciting anymore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I honestly dont watch basketball anymore because they call a foul if you breathe on another guy.  I loved the hardcore basketball where you would get elbowed in the face every time you drove to the basket.  Its just not exciting anymore.

I hear you.  I love watching old basketball clips on you tube.  Larry Bird, the Pistons, the 90s Knicks....  back when men played the game.  Bunch of spoiled cry babies now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

I hear you.  I love watching old basketball clips on you tube.  Larry Bird, the Pistons, the 90s Knicks....  back when men played the game.  Bunch of spoiled cry babies now. 

I watch a TON of pre-2010ish basketball on YT.  Ill sit and watch a full game sometimes and its pretty enjoyable to see the physicality of the game back then.

19 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

9 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

4 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I watch a TON of pre-2010ish basketball on YT.  Ill sit and watch a full game sometimes and its pretty enjoyable to see the physicality of the game back then.

i was just saying to a friend i have a hard time watching games that end 120-130

i miss final score 93-89

i still watch the old games on yt too! lol

and 90's nascar

Edited by docile tapeworm

On 2/4/2021 at 6:19 PM, RH said:

The bigger question I have is where is all of this money coming from. It's not an understatement to say there's been an explosion in funds coming into collecting.

This past year has been tough for many. I lost my job in March last year. I'm a contractor so I:m use to it, but it took me 5 months to get a job (rather than the typical 2-4 weeks) and I had to accept a cut in pay.

I know people got "COVID bucks" but those free $600-2400 checks can't fuel all of this, plus much of this was starting before COVID.

I'm just curious. What happened in the last two years or so to make people want to throw BIG numbers at collectibles, especially the new collectors?

I think people are bored staying at home, and they are looking for exciting stuff to do. Plus, people cut on a lot of expenses due to the whole situation.

Maybe a lot of them always had the potential to be interested in collecting [whatever], and they got to doing it only during this time. And this happens in all levels of income - people with average income buy up all the nice condition games causing an increase in price, people with high incomes buy those pokemon cards from their childhood, and people with very high income but sports stickers (sorry, these are stickers meant to be placed in an album, and no one will convince me otherwise :P).

Also, you need to take into account that while most people feel like shit, they are not financially hurt. Now, before anyone bashes me - of course there are a lot of people who lost their jobs or suffered cuts due to the crisis., But still, most (as in - more then 50%) didn't. This pandemic has hurt the lives of almost everyone, but most of the time not the financial aspect directly. So actually, a lot people can afford to spend money on material luxuries that make them feel a little bit better in this this whole shitty situation.

Well, that's at least my take on it.

Cards are huge and it’s not just a weird bubble.

Like most of us, I collected when I was young in the “junk wax era” and then fizzled out in the mid 90’s.

I jumped back into it in late 2018. Just buying a few boxes of basketball cards here and there. Still haven’t poured tons of money into it but my card collection is now worth more than any video game collection I’ve ever owned. I had a 96 Topps Kobe rookie in a binder from when I was younger. Sent it in to PSA and it only got a an 8, but it’s worth $500 today.

Go to Target or Walmart and check out the card section. If you see any Basketball or Football cards there, buy them. $20 retail boxes don’t even hit the shelves anymore. There are 20 dudes waiting at 8am at every Target/Walmart for the card rep to stock the weekly supply. They buy every single box and immediately flip them on eBay for 3x the price they paid. This has been going on for over a year now, with no end in sight. It’s happening to Baseball, Soccer, and Pokémon cards now too.

Cards are doubling in price weekly and continuing to break record high sales. It’s nuts and it only keeps getting crazier. I remember seeing 2018-2019 Basketball cards sitting at Target and only buying a few $20 boxes. Those boxes sell for over $150-$400 a piece now. 

Do yourself a favor and go check out your old card collection and look up any of the big rookies. You’ll be surprised.

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@MrClutch the prizm is worth flipping. but i bought some chronicles and illusions....not as good.

If you bought 2019-20 Illusions or Chronicles at the retail price, you’re good. A $20 blaster box of either one will sell for $50+ on eBay.

Retail card flipping is easy money if you have a source or if you know the restock schedule. I don’t have a source and it’s not worth my time to camp out, so when I want to rip some packs, I’m always overpaying on eBay. 

21 minutes ago, MrClutch said:

If you bought 2019-20 Illusions or Chronicles at the retail price, you’re good. A $20 blaster box of either one will sell for $50+ on eBay.

Retail card flipping is easy money if you have a source or if you know the restock schedule. I don’t have a source and it’s not worth my time to camp out, so when I want to rip some packs, I’m always overpaying on eBay. 

i had the vendors number but so did a few others from other towns and they started showing up at the store local to me...the first time i went in there and saw two other guys waiting.... i said...oh hell no i aint waiting in line with a couple other monkeys holding our weenies waiting for the vendor. lol. that was the last time i went to walmart for cards. havent talked to the vendor since.

its easy $ but its a dirty game. the vendor originally told me there were no basketball cards when chronicles dropped. i said bs i know you got some but i dont see you stocking it. so the vendor back pedals and says i think there might be another box. long story short vendor takes my number calls me an hour later and says "hey i got those cards".... so in order for you to score retail product off the shelf, it has to make it through the vendors hands (because they obviously know thw value) and all the customers lined up in there the phone, then store employees hands (because the vendors boxes sit in the stock room and employees just steal them from there), then if the product makes it through that...there will be 10 people waiting for whats left...

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@MrClutch its all about psa. and i realize that now lol 

...my sale. they bid pennies on this products top rookies.

Yeah Chronicles singles aren't worth a ton. That's the thing about buying sealed wax. At the prices they command, you almost certainly aren't going to get your money back out of the cards that you pull from the box. Keep the box sealed and watch them go up. 

I like ripping packs and submitting to PSA. Getting back that order from PSA makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrClutch said:

Yeah Chronicles singles aren't worth a ton. That's the thing about buying sealed wax. At the prices they command, you almost certainly aren't going to get your money back out of the cards that you pull from the box. Keep the box sealed and watch them go up. 

I like ripping packs and submitting to PSA. Getting back that order from PSA makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

i should have kept them sealed.

kid in me wanted to rip and it went bad. lol. i bet i ripped $1500 worth of retail and got maybe $500 back so far. 

5 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

kid in me wanted to rip and it went bad. lol. i bet i ripped $1500 worth of retail and got maybe $500 back so far. 

Years ago I met a kid who had got into Magic the Gathering when it just started. At that time, I think a Black Lotus was a few hundred dollars. He told me he literally burned some of them because they were at first considered worthless. Just a reminder that a mint Black Lotus recently sold for over $500,000

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Years ago I met a kid who had got into Magic the Gathering when it just started. At that time, I think a Black Lotus was a few hundred dollars. He told me he literally burned some of them because they were at first considered worthless. Just a reminder that a mint Black Lotus recently sold for over $500,000

there is hope! 🙂 

9 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

293B8140-C13A-4B11-AC9A-B5B5CD82626F.jpeg

didnt leave any for the kids

I can't even go to the card section anymore because I might have a brain anuerysum looking at the line of people waiting for cards to be restocked by the vendor. My son asked me for some pokey-man (that's what we call them in nj) cards and there was a line of neck beards waiting for them. I was like, are you man children waiting for pokey-man cards? They all started talking shit to me and I almost got into a fight with a bunch of virgins at a target at 1130 am on a Tuesday on my early lunch break. They probably borrowed their mom's cars to get there. True story. I told my son I would have to order his cards online. 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I also have a hard time keeping anything sealed. Ripping packs is too much fun. Especially if you got them for the retail price. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I can't even go to the card section anymore because I might have a brain anuerysum looking at the line of people waiting for cards to be restocked by the vendor. My son asked me for some pokey-man (that's what we call them in nj) cards and there was a line of neck beards waiting for them. I was like, are you man children waiting for pokey-man cards? They all started talking shit to me and I almost got into a fight with a bunch of virgins at a target at 1130 am on a Tuesday on my early lunch break. They probably borrowed their mom's cars to get there. True story. I told my son I would have to order his cards online. 🤣

Yeah, what a bunch of nerdy virgins! They should do something more manlier, like talk about video games on a video game collector forum.

I've run into a line once and when I saw it, I was like "nope." I collect and buy the damn things but there's no way I'm waiting in a line for hours to save a few bucks. I have nothing against it though. These people are trying to make some extra cash and the card market is easy money right now. Some people work at a retail store and make minimum wage. They can wait in a line at a store for an hour and make an extra $100. More power to them. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

1 hour ago, MrClutch said:

Yeah, what a bunch of nerdy virgins! They should do something more manlier, like talk about video games on a video game collector forum.

I've run into a line once and when I saw it, I was like "nope." I collect and buy the damn things but there's no way I'm waiting in a line for hours to save a few bucks. I have nothing against it though. These people are trying to make some extra cash and the card market is easy money right now. Some people work at a retail store and make minimum wage. They can wait in a line at a store for an hour and make an extra $100. More power to them. 

same here. soon as i wasnt the only one i wasnt gonna stand there with them and then what, split it with 4 other monkeys?

i dont care if they do but im also not mad a bri 😂 if you actually said that to them your my fucking hero bro. "holy shit whats bri fighting in the parking lot for?!" poky-mans baby!!! wwwooo!

look i dont care if you stand there like a d-bag. like clutch said, make your buck. at the same time get ready for the flak from the other side. 

• Haha 1