IGNORED

The card market has absolutely exploded!!!

Dumars2001

18 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Look up those "levels" I mentioned earlier for west coast tech employees.

They have a fairly strong culture out there of frowning on more typical displays of wealth that previous generations would have associated with those income levels.

You mean like 3 million dollar hidden door speakeasies? 

Or AI controlled underground shoe “closets” that are 3000 sq ft and house 10,000+ pairs of shoes that give you a selection based on scans of what you are wearing for the day 😂🤣🤣🤣

But yeah, shoes, comics and cards are big. We have a local card/comic shop that I drop in from time to time, and I noticed they guy was out of half of his stock. I thought he was going out of business, but I guess a kid drove a ferrari in and dropped 100k on a black amex and wiped out his inventory!

6 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

You mean like 3 million dollar hidden door speakeasies? 

Or AI controlled underground shoe “closets” that are 3000 sq ft and house 10,000+ pairs of shoes that give you a selection based on scans of what you are wearing for the day 😂🤣🤣🤣

But yeah, shoes, comics and cards are big. We have a local card/comic shop that I drop in from time to time, and I noticed they guy was out of half of his stock. I thought he was going out of business, but I guess a kid drove a ferrari in and dropped 100k on a black amex and wiped out his inventory!

Part in bold is my point -- I had the distinct impression that they aren't generally buying ferraris, because being publicly flashy with your car is frowned upon.  (Tesla isn't considered "flashy" in that context, though)

Regardless of your net worth, when you aren't buying a Ferrari, it frees up a lot of disposable income to buy something else silly like trading cards.

(and it takes proportionally a lot less money than that flowing into that type of hobby to distort prices -- recall the whale making high end video game purchases a few years back that seemingly distorted things single-handedly)

Edited by arch_8ngel

I have complete sets and insert sets I haven't looked at in 20 years. I have the full set of O-Pee-Chee with Brett Hull's rookie card in it, plus another of his rookie card. I have the full set of Upper Deck Signature Series from the early 1990s, they were random inserts in packs with about 40 in the set. Loads of other rookie cards as well, I used to collect but then lost interest and they went into a box in the basement.

Until now I thought the entire box might be worth $10.

• Wow! 1

30 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Part in bold is my point -- I had the distinct impression that they aren't generally buying ferraris, because being publicly flashy with your car is frowned upon.  (Tesla isn't considered "flashy" in that context, though)

Regardless of your net worth, when you aren't buying a Ferrari, it frees up a lot of disposable income to buy something else silly like trading cards.

(and it takes proportionally a lot less money than that flowing into that type of hobby to distort prices -- recall the whale making high end video game purchases a few years back that seemingly distorted things single-handedly)

There are tons of super cars around here. In mountain view (where googles main campus is) there is a Maserati a ferrari, and a McClaren dealerships all right next door to each other!

5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

There are tons of super cars around here. In mountain view (where googles main campus is) there is a Maserati a ferrari, and a McClaren dealerships all right next door to each other!

Affording a Maserati is a bit of a lower rung than a McClaren! 😛

There are certainly high income tech kids of all interests, I'm sure (or to get to super-car level, you're really talking about 8-figure IPO exits 😛 of which there have been a few this year)

Edited by arch_8ngel

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

blind $30 shipped. you dont want to waste time listing that stuff for peanuts when a fellow member can add it to three other members collections that passed down to me 😉

Oh, I guess I'll be testing the waters with a few here in a moment

• Like 1

Logan Paul spent another $2m on 1e Pokeman boxes apparently, keeping those kids interested! Remember, the youth is the future! The future to unlimited profits!

I wonder if people who spent $20k on forgotten black box games in early variants feel like they boarded the wrong train to the moon looking at every other collectible hobby.

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If only this set of cards from MJ's restaurant was marked in some manner.  Cant imagine there were too many of these considering they had a crazy markup, even then 😔

IMG_20210204_105508.jpg

ya those are $1 cards otherwise. if there was a way to credit them to the resturaunt....ya $$$

Oh yes it has blown up.  Thing is it really happened to only the top 5% of the cards out there.  The other 95% are worthless IMO.  High graded copies of premium players and super rare inserts are where the only money is at.  I remember almost pulling the trigger on an Upper Deck Jeter SP rookie PSA 9 about ten years ago but didn't because I thought paying over $300 for it was nuts.  Well last time I checked it is now a 5k card.  Crazy.

• Like 1

I'm also at the PSA Forums (www.psacard.com).  My collection (no joke) consists of at least 100K cards...all complete sets (mostly 80s/90s but I have 1974-79 Topps BB also) and in binders/sheets.  I'm "idle" (if you will) on my card collecting but my current goal is to finish getting the early/mid 90s BB/FB/BK insert sets (especially Fleer/Ultra) and if I ever get the chance (you know like lottery or inheritance from some long lost relative I never heard of or something) my dream has always been to do the early 70s and 60s sets.  I especially love the 1971 black border set and to a slightly lesser extent the 1972 colorful psychedelic "variety show stage" set and hope to someday be able to do those.

Edited by Estil