IGNORED

PSA some asshole is doing spot on counterfeits of NWC now

Lincoln

1 hour ago, VegHead said:

This is more than a hypothetical. Capcom, Disney, and others have re-released physical SNES carts in the last few years. I cannot speak to their sales numbers, but they've done well enough in these limited cases that there were subsequent re-releases. There have also been fresh releases of foreign games that never got a legal, local release. It would seem decades of bootlegs didn't erase the market for the real deal when it came around.

I think when it comes down to it, if there's a desire in the market, and the owner/company cannot or will not satisfy that demand, you will invariably end up with bootlegs to bridge the gap.  I believe this is the case in almost every aspect of commerce, although I don't think a universal ethic can be applied. 

This is something i forgot about, that official holy diver cart release from a couple years ago. That was bootleg only for a long time if you wanted a nes version. 

I own a bootleg and famicom original and still bought the nes release. There are several other famicom only games i would pay a reasonable price for a licensed nes release. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VegHead said:

This is more than a hypothetical. Capcom, Disney, and others have re-released physical SNES carts in the last few years. I cannot speak to their sales numbers, but they've done well enough in these limited cases that there were subsequent re-releases. There have also been fresh releases of foreign games that never got a legal, local release. It would seem decades of bootlegs didn't erase the market for the real deal when it came around.

I think when it comes down to it, if there's a desire in the market, and the owner/company cannot or will not satisfy that demand, you will invariably end up with bootlegs to bridge the gap.  I believe this is the case in almost every aspect of commerce, although I don't think a universal ethic can be applied. 

It’s hypothetical both ways. There’s no way to measure how many people that played a pirated version would then decline to purchase an official re-release since they’ve already played it. There’s also no way to measure how many more sales you would have gotten if the pirated version never existed. 

22 minutes ago, phart010 said:

It’s hypothetical both ways. There’s no way to measure how many people that played a pirated version would then decline to purchase an official re-release since they’ve already played it. There’s also no way to measure how many more sales you would have gotten if the pirated version never existed. 

I would agree with the uncertainty here to some extent, and that it could go in either direction on a larger scale.  In the case of some releases, though, they have completely sold out.  I think the irem re-releases of Metal Storm and Holy Diver both sold through completely.  Demand was clearly higher than supply in that instance.  The near unavailability of NES and SNES Classics throughout their lifecycles also would suggest demand outstripped supply.  There aren't a lot of cases to use as examples, though.  I think most pirating is done digitally these days, even when it comes to old systems like we all collect.  You don't hardly see repros like this NWC being made or sold because it's so much easier to just pop up an emulator, or if you want a more real experience, an Everdrive.  I guess that makes it mostly a moot point in reality, even if it's interesting to discuss the hypotheticals.

Guests · Posted
39 minutes ago, avatar! said:

So... anyone want to summarize the hundreds of messages here for those of us that will not read through them? 🙂

I like turtles? 

10 hours ago, phart010 said:

Im not for or against pirating, can’t say I’m completely innocent, but I do always buy original stuff to support publishers whenever it is possible. 

But just to play devil’s advocate, they could have plans to re-release something old but we are just unaware of it. In that case you’d be taking away their thunder by pirating it. Part of the marketing hype of rereleasing something that has been inaccessible for a long time is the fact that it’s been inaccessible for a long time. Nintendo or other developers may want to capitalize on that inaccessibility by re-releasing it. If people pirate the software making it accessible, then when it does get a re-release people will be less likely to spend money on the re-release since they’ve already gotten their fix in the interim.

Yeah but according to our crusader here, that's morally wrong.  Old stuff just should be free as it's the right thing to do, not to keep releasing it over and over, upgraded or not (straight emulation, port, etc.)  Yeah...no.  Don't like it tough.  If they're keeping the game active on the market by some means that entire argument is bs.  And as you pointed out, maybe someone has plans.  We don't know what will show up monthly on the Switch Nintendo freebie roundup for being a subscriber.  We don't know if they'll do like Technos did and make some Kunio package with everything either.  Or looking back, Bionic Commando Remastered from Capcom...or Capcom doing the HD remaster/recreation of their original line of Resident Evil games.

That is the right, and as you said, if they just let people throw stuff around for free, the motivation is gone to try and do much with it because you have to have low to no expectation of sales because well piracy is free and morally that's right...right?  Chasing down hypotheticals to make a weak argument for copyrights sucking and old stuff should be free is what's weak here.  Don't like it?  Don't buy it.  You probably were going to steal it anyway, or at least felt you had the moral high ground to at any time that fits.

• Like 1