IGNORED

Legend of Zelda appreciation thread

Tulpa

Zelda!  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which Legend of Zelda game is your favorite?

• The Legend of Zelda
    • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    • A Link to the Past
    • Link's Awakening
    • Ocarina of Time
    • Majora's Mask
    • Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
    • Four Swords
    • The Wind Waker
    • Four Swords Adventures
    • The Minish Cap
    • Twilight Princess
    • Phantom Hourglass
    • Spirit Tracks
    • Skyward Sword
    • A Link Between Worlds
    • Tri Force Heroes
    • Breath of the Wild

Top 5:

1. Ocarina of Time

2. Breath of the Wild

3. Majora's Mask

4. Link's Awakening

5. Skyward Sword

I grew up playing the original Zelda on NES in the early 90s but never had a SNES so I didn't get to play ALTTP when it was new. I remember seeing an ad for Ocarina of Time and immediately knew I had to get it. It's still my favorite game of all time, and Zelda is easily my favorite series. The only main series title I still need to play is Spirit Tracks.

Also BOTW is the closest I've gotten as an adult to the feeling my first play through of OOT gave me. It was really more than a video game, it was an experience. I'm beyond excited for the sequel too, giving off some dark MM vibes just based off the short teaser!

Before we owned a NES, my cousins owned one and had some first gen games including TLOZ which seem pretty impressive, one of my older cousins was playing and she was at Level 4 and needed to use the candle to brighten up darkened rooms which was mind blowing, she talked about how her older sister was at Level 6 and some nerdy girl in her class was going though the second quest.

At that point I was pretty much convinced that I wanted a NES to play this game and my mother got us one that summer, we got no Zelda game though but it was lent to us at some point, I have very fond memories exploring the game on my own and randomly stumbling on secrets or new dungeons, discussing progress with kids at school was the only way to advance when you got stuck, luckily there were a few kids at school that were playing it as well so I fond out about things like the Magical Sword and how you need to use the flute to access Level 7.

One time I stumbled across Level 9 a little early and shared my discovery at school, some older kid heard me talking about it and asked me for specific directions, good times! By the way I couldn't read English but the game has very few text, my mom provided me with an English to Spanish dictionary, thanks to that I was able to get though the lost woods.

Overall this was a great game to play pre-internet days and it took me months or perhaps a year to complete the first quest, saying that I don't think it has aged well, big part of the experience was discussing progress with other people playing it and we didn't had internet to help you when you get stuck, it's just impossible to experience it today as we did back in the day which is a shame, it was a great game to own in the late 80s, early 90s.

I picked Twilight Princess. It's everything I like about Ocarina of Time and then so much more. Incredible atmosphere, very depressing and chilling mood, some of the best dungeons I've ever played (I love the temple of time and the sky palace!) Zelda to me has always been more about understanding your environment and puzzle solving, and combat has always been about exploiting weakness more so than pure challenge, so it really hit the nail on what a Zelda game is supposed to be. 

I don't how you guys are gonna feel about this, maybe you guys might think this is weird or stupid or something...but my wife really likes hearts, so whenever I get a Heart Container or a Heart Piece, I like to tell my wife I found or won her heart (whichever the case may be).   Or if I'm having trouble with a mini-game I'll lament, "I'll never win your heart..." 😞  Of course she tells me that I already won her heart 🙂

It's so hard to pick just one. In the end it came down to link to the past or wind waker. I love the exploration and treasure hunting in wind waker and the dungeons so it got the edge over lttp. Now if you said top 5, 6 or 7 lol, I'd say

Windwaker, lttp, oot, links awakening, botw, link between world's, and Oracle of seasons

1. The Legend of Zelda - defined my childhood

2. OoT - defined my adolescence 

3. Breath of the Wild - defined my adulthood

I could swap out “defined” for set the standard for a perfect game I guess. Defined is kind of a drastic word, I mean I wasn’t frolicking around in a green tunic, talking to fairies, and well you get it. 

17 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had to go with the original, although to this day I still haven't played through the second quest. I really need to get on that one of these days.

Same for me also, I like to replay Legend of Zelda every once in a while. But have never gone through the whole second quest.

Breath of the Wild wins it for me overall, but A Link to the Past is a close first. I absolutely LOVE that one so much. Such a masterpiece. If such, it would be by favorite retro Zelda ever made. However, Breath of the Wild introduced a different type of Zelda gameplay, which I enjoyed so much. I put 240 hours into it and still not done.

Oh easily Zelda II. That was the first Zelda game I got, and first game excluding SMB/Duck Hunt. While I can enjoy many different types of games and gameplay perspectives, those from side view, particularly those that involve hacking away at enemies with a weapon to go along with the platforming are what I've always favored (Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Shatterhand), and if it has some exploration (Zelda II, Castlevania II, Faxanadu), even better. Zelda II has the perfect blend of many different things that I love in a game, a masterpiece, really. Played a whole bunch of NES hacks earlier this year, among them some Zelda II ones, though those ones were way to hard to be enjoyable in the long run, but I did have fun for a bit and Zelda II has never failed with the combat.

Events Team · Posted
On 10/27/2019 at 6:51 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had to go with the original, although to this day I still haven't played through the second quest. I really need to get on that one of these days.

20 hours ago, TWarwick07 said:

Same for me also, I like to replay Legend of Zelda every once in a while. But have never gone through the whole second quest.

Well, you guys better work on this ASAP cause it's a real embarrassment for yourselves! Also, make sure to check if the word 'Caution' on the back of your cartrid........