IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - 2021 suggestions thread

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
17 hours ago, mbd39 said:

How about a Contra high score contest with looping allowed? It would be fun to see how many people can max out the score.

This would be very fun, but too time consuming.
I have been trying to priorize shorter, faster grinds to allow people to have most fun with the game and to let people with not too much free time to be able to compete for the top spots as well.

Unfortunately, Highest score Contra with loops allowed would present a challenge regarding the time needed to max the score.

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

This would be very fun, but too time consuming.
I have been trying to priorize shorter, faster grinds to allow people to have most fun with the game and to let people with not too much free time to be able to compete for the top spots as well.

Unfortunately, Highest score Contra with loops allowed would present a challenge regarding the time needed to max the score.

That's good to hear. I'm getting too old to grind out 5 and a half hours to max out the score in Mario Bros again.

Dino Riki (high scoring omits the possibility of using continue)

Back To The Future (high score no looping)

Loopz (game A - most loops or high score - difficulty level ?) or (furthest progression in game C w/o password)

Snake Rattle N Roll

Roadrunner

Pyramid

Kabuki Quantum Fighter

Paperboy 2

R.C. Pro-am II

Thunder & Lightening

Castlevania Overflow Darkness (if hacks are acceptable submissions)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yay, NES contest suggestions!  Here are a few I suggest (mostly shmups) that I don't think have been done yet:

• TetraStar: The Fighter (FC) - An intense shmup with epic gameplay/music.
  • Touhou Rououmu (NES/FC, Homebrew 2018) -  It's an homage to the Touhou series (bullet-hell shooter), built from the ground up for Famicom/NES.  It was released as a freely available ROM, so anyone can try it out.  
  • Quarth (FC) - It's like Tetris meets a shoot 'em up, by Konami.

And I agree with Videomation making a comeback 🙂 I see some other great games listed too.

*Edited for spelling of Japanese title. Included link to developer's website.

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
25 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Top of my list

RC Pro Am II is one of my favorite NES game as well. The only time we used it in the contest was during the very first year of the contest (I suggested it at the time). For a long time we tried to stay away from pricier game for the contest, but now I'm very tempted to add it to this year schedule!

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, guillavoie said:

RC Pro Am II is one of my favorite NES game as well. The only time we used it in the contest was during the very first year of the contest (I suggested it at the time). For a long time we tried to stay away from pricier game for the contest, but now I'm very tempted to add it to this year schedule!

It is fast, it is brutal, it is fun.

Let's do this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ausden said:

American Gladiators

You are the man. I was unaware there was another person on the planet that likes that game. Here is my full list. 

American Gladiators

RC Pro AM 2

Golf

Kung Fu

NES Open

Blue Marlin

Captain Skyhawk

Marble Madness

Paperboy 2

Rad Racer 2

Rainbow Islands

Rush N Attack