IGNORED

Your favourites, of your favourite

DarkTone

Huge shout out to @CasualCart for the idea for this thread. 

What are the top 10 games in your favourite gaming genre? How hard is it to make such a list? 

Some people aren't even sure what their favourite genre is, while others could make a top 20 with ease. 

Mine is fighting games. But I've never thought what the top 10 of all time is. Gonna think it over and add it later. 

What's yours? Would it change often? 

Ooh! That's a neat question and a difficult one to answer. I'm inclined to say that action-platformers are my favorite genre...and that's one that is overflowing with some of the greatest games ever made. I'll have to ponder this a bit to come up with a decent list.

Edit: Okay, even though I'm wrestling with myself on my choice of genre (I could also go for adventure games or even FPS games), I'll be a champ and stick with it. Here is my bid for the 10 greatest action-platformers of all time (that I've played):

#1. Super Metroid (SNES)
#2. Super Mario World (SNES)
#3. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
#4. Revenge of Shinobi (GEN)
#5. Castlevania (NES)
#6. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (GEN)
#7. Mega Man X (SNES)
#8. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (NS)
#9. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
#10. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Honorable Mentions: Super Mario Bros. 3, Shovel Knight, Super C, Mega Man 2, Earthworm Jim, Ninja Gaiden, Rocket Knight Adventures...the list goes on.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Webhead123 said:

Ooh! That's a neat question and a difficult one to answer. I'm inclined to say that action-platformers are my favorite genre...and that's one that is overflowing with some of the greatest games ever made. I'll have to ponder this a bit to come up with a decent list.

I think I'm also planning towards action platformers. I'll find back to this post and update after thinking about it for a while.

*pops fingers*

*starts to play "Lion -May'n Ver.- on YouTube*

Here's my list. The top 5 would be hard to beat, especially the top 2. But I would not be surprised if this changed since the only other franchise I like nearly as much as Dragon Quest is Record of Lodoss War. Do there is a chance that 'Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth' might find a spot on that list.

01. Dragon Quest VI (DS ver.)
02. Dragon Quest IV (DS ver.)
03. Dragon Quest III (Super Famicom ver.)
04. Dragon Quest I (Super Famicom ver.)
05. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2 ver.)
06. Dragon Quest IX
07. Dragon Quest V (DS ver.)
08. Dragon Quest XI (PS4 ver.)
09. Dragon Quest VII (PS one ver.)
10. Dragon Quest II (Super Famicom ver.)

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 3

Like Fenrir’s homogenous list I think this would be super easy for me. Basically 10 Mario games:

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
Banjo-Kazooie
Sonic 2
Donkey Kong 64 (This game freaking rules, ghost bananas and all)

The positions are wishy washy since they’re all 10/10 games, but it’d be hard to shake up the list because more than half benefit from nostalgia.

• Like 3

Good question, but hard for me to answer.  If we're being super-liberal about what constitutes genre I'd say my favorite is everything that can be boiled down to SPEED TIMING & PATTERN RECOGNITION, but that would read more like a list of all time favorite games independent of genre than anything else.  I'd probably have to pick platform-action for a specific genre and then spend hours, days or weeks agonizing over which ones go where on the list... 

I don’t know that it’s definitively my favorite genre but RPGs in only a vague order —

1. Suikoden II

2. Dragon Warrior

3. Final Fantasy Tactics

4. Final Fantasy VII

5. Suikoden III

6. Witcher III

7. Dragon Quest VIII

8. Final Fantasy X

9. Lunar: Silver Star Story

10.  Suikoden

just outside the bounds of this list are the likes of Dragon Warrior II, Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest XI and Chrono Trigger.  I’ve had Dragon Warriors 3 & 4 for quite a while but still haven’t gotten around to sinking some solid time into them.  Final Fantasy 6 is overrated.

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted

My top 10 Space-Shooters:

1 ) Abadox [NES]

2 ) Star Soldier [NES]

3 ) Star Force [NES]

4 ) Super R-Type [SNES]

5 ) Blazing Star [Neo Geo]

6 ) Arrow Flash [Genesis]

7 ) Image Fight [NES]

8 ) Bosconian [Arcade]

9 ) Burai Fighter [NES]

10 ) Phoenix [Atari 2600]

But like I told @DarkTone when we were talking about this before, my list might change once I finally get to try out my TG16 mini.

-CasualCart

• Like 3

Hard to choose a genre, never mind a favorite game among them!

I wound up going with puzzle/puzzle platformers. These days I like games I can just pick up and play without having to sink serious time into getting the most of it. 

1. Game Gear- Super Columns. This game and it's mechanics need to be redone with the ability for online multiplayer. Matches would be super fast paced and be over in minutes, but man would they be an intense couple minutes! If you have never played this version of Columns, imagine regular columns, but you can turn the gems horizontal to make combos super fast. It really took the formula to the next level.

2. Genesis- Mean Bean Machine. I love me some Puyo Puyo, and this game was my intro to it. I can pop this in any day of the week.

3. Switch- Tetris 99. What a great idea! I suck at Tetris so I've yet to get a win, but I've put 30+ hours into it. It's just so easy to pick it up and play a couple matches in the morning before work.

4. NES- Kickle Cubicle. I wish there was a sequel for this. The game is never stunningly hard, but some of the bonus stages are hair pullers. The mechanics are awesome.

5. NES- Adventures of Lolo. This is the hard version of Kickle Cubicle. Some of the rooms are just so intricate. They require not only perfect placement, but also execution when the skulls and stupid statues that shoot arrows out their eyes light up. I always miss a statue, somewhere.

6. PSX- Oddworld: Abe's Oddessy. Really funny story driven puzzle platformer. Gets really hard in the later stages. I still haven't beaten it. Still a blast, though.

7. SFC- Super Mario Picross. I'm glad this was uploaded to Switch Online and I have a chance to play it. It's a super fun game like sudoku mixed with minesweeper. Like no other math puzzler out there.

8. Switch(among other systems, but it's best on a handheld)- Puyo Puyo Tetris. I love the story mode with a ton of progressively more challenging cpu opponents. The swap mode is really awesome too. Fusion mode is too overly complicated, though. I don't find it particularly fun. It felt like a chore on the final stages.

9. NES- Tetris. It's Tetris! The standard all puzzle games are measured against. The non tengen version is probably the best. It's certainly the most unforgiving of any falling block puzzler there is. In my prime I could get to level 11 or so. It's basically impossible for me at that point.

10. NES- Dr. Mario. Another game I would like to see an update for. It's simply a timeless concept, never once duplicated. I would love to play a sequel with an expanded multiplayer mode. Imagine a battle royale Dr Mario with a giant race to clear the screen or germs! Targeting system, like Mario 35 or Tetris 99 to toss garbage at your opponent s for clearing multiple germs at a time or combos. It makes me excited just thinking about it!

Well, there's my list. Great idea for a topic!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if I could put a list together the way the thread wants me to, so I'm going to cheat and post my favourite game from EACH genre that I like. Sorry if it's not in the spirit of the thread, but I still want to take part.  🥴

RPG: Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire: I'm including both games together since you need both games to max out your trainer stars to get a golden trainer card.

Racing: Wave Race (Game Boy): The best racing game on Game Boy, and something I love to play every summer.

Puzzle: Dr. Mario (Game Boy): The NES version has a better ending scene, but the Game Boy version has better music, more combo jingles, and is easier for me to play as the textured pills are easier for me to distinguish from the coloured pills.

Shoot 'em Up: Stinger: Just an all around fun game that isn't as unforgiving as other genre staples.

Fighting: Urban Champion: As someone who never got into Fighting games for how complex they were, I adore the level playing field and simplicity of Urban Champion so much that I feel I'd like the genre if there were more games like it.

Platformer: Super Mario Bros.: I will always love the original SMB the best of all Super Mario games. The way it controls is so awesome, and it feels so great to pull off stunts in this game.

Motion Control: Kororinpa Marble Mania: My absolute favourite Nintendo Wii title. It works so incredibly well, and is so much fun. Aiming for all gold trophies is the only real way to play. ; )

Sports: Bad News Baseball: An often overlooked and forgotten NES Baseball game by Tecmo. It's less popular than other genre staples like "Base Wars" and "Baseball Stars", but it's also really fantastic, and best of all allows you to play as girls teams. 😊

Pinball: Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire: An absolutely stellar pinball game that fixes every problem with the original Pokemon Pinball. Can't recommend it enough!

Visual Novel: Professor Layton and the Curious Village: The first, and only good Professor Layton game. Layton wasn't some stupid action hero in the first game, and everything was really quiet, mysterious, and a good mix of soothing with creepy.

I adore the first game so much, and stopped playing them after the third game which was a complete mess, and a total removal of what the series started out as. I also adore how the plot of the first game would stop sometimes in optional areas where Layton and Luke would just shoot the 💩 for a minute and challenge each other to riddles. 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AmandaCathedral said:

Puzzle: Dr. Mario (Game Boy): The NES version has a better ending scene, but the Game Boy version has better music, more combo jingles, and is easier for me to play as the textured pills are easier for me to distinguish from the coloured pills.

If you could play it with colored pills would you though?  It was unofficially 'DX' stylized by a rom hacker, if you care to use an emulator, have a cheap flash kit, or maybe find someone to throw it on a real cart it could be fun.  Best of both worlds. Color of the NES, superior style of the GB version.  https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5281/

Here it is in action:

That looks pretty neat! I might give it a whirl on the computer some time. I like playing these kinds of upgrades to existing games.

I've never seen much point in playing this kind of thing on real hardware though. I sort of miss the days where there was an exclusive "underground" library of hacks and translations only playable on the computer. I feel playing these types of games on real hardware ruins the rebellious nature of them, but maybe that's just me. 🤔

7 hours ago, AmandaCathedral said:

That looks pretty neat! I might give it a whirl on the computer some time. I like playing these kinds of upgrades to existing games.

I've never seen much point in playing this kind of thing on real hardware though. I sort of miss the days where there was an exclusive "underground" library of hacks and translations only playable on the computer. I feel playing these types of games on real hardware ruins the rebellious nature of them, but maybe that's just me. 🤔

Currently as of when they got started I think in 2019 by a few independent workers there are just five.  A 6th is teased but doesn't exist for the Nintendo title For the Frog the Bell Tolls, so if that ever made it that would be a potential 6th.
- Super Mario Land DX
- Super Mario Land 2 DX (with Luigi added, and new sprites for Mario and him, other tweaks beyond colorization)
- Kirby's Dream Land DX
- Dr Mario as you saw
- Metroid II Return of Samus DX

That's it, but it's some good variety and it really does make the games pop.