IGNORED

Famicom Satellaview, How to get it running and what can I do with it?

I recently got a Famicom Satellaview in a lot of games and systems.  What can I do with it?  Is it even worth trying to get it up and running again in 2021?  Is it hard to get running?  I saw it once at a game show playing some cool Zelda remake.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• Like 1

The Satellaview worked by having a satellite broadcast which allowed you to download a game onto the satellaview cart. The company ceased all broadcasting in June 2000, so you will not be able to download any games. The carts have been found to have stuff still on them and I think people have found lost games that way before, as many were exclusive to the service. I'm pretty sure the cart works normally without the satellaview unit, the unit was only used to accept the broadcast and download the game. 

Many of the games that were exclusive to the platform are available to load onto a flash cart or emulator if you're into that.

• Like 1

So just to be clear, I have seen that original Zelda remake for it at a show and it looked awesome, I can play all the special satellite games (the ones that have been recovered) on my SD2SNES?  I don't need the satellite device to play them?

You say "not much I can do with it these days" but it seems like there is literally nothing I can do with it.

It seems to go for over $100 on ebay so I might as well sell it.  It looks cool, so I am trying to convince myself of at least one reason why I should keep it, but I will probably just take the money and sell it on ebay.

It's a display piece or a paperweight, that's it.  No one has decided as of yet it's worth bothering to simulate the satellite feature somehow over like the internet with some trickery.

The games are just legit SNES(SFC) ROMs in the end, and they're sitting in that lovely smoke monster pack or over on all those refreshed dumps of the library on archive dot org.  The Zelda NES remake is a solid choice, another is the lost F-Zero game BS F-Zero which has an entire reskin of the 4 cars, the drones, and a new set of tracks.  There are a few others worth a peek too, just wiki a list you'll see.  Since you have a SD2SNES you're more than set for it.

• Like 2