IGNORED

Versions of games with minor software differences

Optomon

Is there ever a cases where a commercially (non-prototype) released game has basically the same packaging, but contains minor software differences in game?

There is an obvious example of NES Zelda with different game over screens, but maybe something less obvious that could be uncommon.

I seem to remember a version of SNES Rock n' Roll racing where the extra NPC racer in two player mode is Shred instead of Rip. I don't know if this was a setting or something that actually happens in game. It was the first time I saw the game when it was new and some kid brought it over to our house to play.

• Like 1

I suppose Castlevania is also notable for having a second updated version released to fix it's bug crashing problems.

https://tcrf.net/Bugs:Castlevania_(NES)

Always rom dumps of them as PRG 0 and PRG 1.

But there is nothing too apparent to the player there. Any versions of different software releases of games that are notably rare?

• Like 1

One difference between The “over the hand” bros mario 3 and the “right” is  the names of the levels are all changed. Pretty sure there are some other minor differences as well.
And one I didn’t find out about until years later is Faxanadu the later revision fixed the type set from that terrible italic so you can actually read what people are saying. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Optomon said:

I suppose Castlevania is also notable for having a second updated version released to fix it's bug crashing problems.

https://tcrf.net/Bugs:Castlevania_(NES)

Always rom dumps of them as PRG 0 and PRG 1.

But there is nothing too apparent to the player there. Any versions of different software releases of games that are notably rare?

There's a casual reference to the site you're interested in right there.  The purpose of the TCRF (which stands for The Cutting Room Floor ) is to document changes across game revisions.

The most notable revision difference for old Game Boy games is the rare, original version of Tetris.  It was only released in Japan and there is a different song in the game.  There are other minor differences to the first version of the game, but the different music is what's most noticable.

• Like 1

The original release of Ocarina of Time has what people call Islamic Chants during the fire temple. It sounds like they mixed phrases from a recitation of the Qur’an chapter 112 Al-Ikhlas with the Athan (Call to Prayer) and added heavy reverb to make it very airy and echoey. 

It was taken out of later revisions!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mideast said:

The original release of Ocarina of Time has what people call Islamic Chants during the fire temple. It sounds like they mixed phrases from a recitation of the Qur’an chapter 112 Al-Ikhlas with the Athan (Call to Prayer) and added heavy reverb to make it very airy and echoey.

It's a well-known fact that it was taken out of all subsequent re-releases, but was it actually taken out of any of the later print-runs on the N64?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's a well-known fact that it was taken out of all subsequent re-releases, but was it actually taken out of any of the later print-runs on the N64?

Yeah this Zelda Site says 1.0 and 1.1 have the chant but it was taken out in 1.2. It lists a few other revisions too including Ganon's blood being changed to green instead of red.

It also says all Gold cartridges are 1.0 or 1.1, and all Player's Choice are 1.2.

• Like 1