Jump to content
IGNORED

Should I replace label on N64 sculptors cult?


Recommended Posts

Hey guys, i know from a purist standpoint I shouldn’t do this; but ill be honest it is bothering me. I know there are some very nice labels out there should i do this?  If so, how badly will this devalue the game and if the label being bad as it is. Is it a wash anyhow?  I don’t plan on ever selling it, but i guess you never know

thoughts?

368BBE3C-12D0-48C0-961A-D7621D84B0F8.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you really want to for your own purposes, get a cheap sports game to apply it to, and keep the original front stored away. Never say never, in terms of selling it or possibly upgrading.

Longer form response: If the label bothers YOU, and you want to have a nice label, then I'd suggest instead buying another copy with a nicer label and selling this copy to make up the difference.

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Ill go with either upgrading down the road or buy a donor cart for a repro label and tuck the original in safe keeping spot

Posted Images

Administrator · Posted

Longer form response:

If the label bothers YOU, and you want to have a nice label, then I'd suggest instead buying another copy with a nicer label and selling this copy to make up the difference.

Or this: 

Just now, Nesmaster said:

If you really want to for your own purposes, get a cheap sports game to apply it to, and keep the original front stored away. Never say never, in terms of selling it or possibly upgrading.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

 

Longer form response:

If the label bothers YOU, and you want to have a nice label, then I'd suggest instead buying another copy with a nicer label and selling this copy to make up the difference.

 

This is what I was going to say. You can always save money toward a nicer authentic replacement and sell this one to cover part of the cost.

Having a fake label on it would devalue it far worse than a messed up original label.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted

Short answer: NO

Long answer: Fix it, indirectly.  No reason to get hundreds into the hole in a pissing match over a pretty sticker.  Buy a ghetto game out of a dollar bin, warm water and dawn soap it clean removing the label in that scrub.  Find someone selling a nice copycat label and buy it, stick that on there, and save the beater original somewhere in a box.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Fake label games to me are the same value as a no-label game, which is less value than a trashed label.

This is helpful. Guys, please don’t be offended with my ignorant question. Im really trying to learn and understand; so appreciate your guys responses. Im still new to this and ive seen YouTube videos that you shouldn’t replace the labels but never a good explanation of why or what does it do to the value?  Perhaps ive not found the right sources?

with other collectables (not all but some) restoration is actually ok and in some cases increases value (such as cars). I guess i always wondered whats the deal with restoring a label thats been abused one way or another?  Then you have the argument of people trying to scam others that a game is no longer original which makes sense to me. But if one doesn’t draw the line somewhere. Where would it end i guess?  Start off with a crappy beat up version of a game cart with an original board but get reproduction label, maybe donor cart, reproduction box and manual. Now you have a nice restored game but only the board is original and it still feels dirty 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matthewnimmo said:

with other collectables (not all but some) restoration is actually ok and in some cases increases value (such as cars). I guess i always wondered whats the deal with restoring a label thats been abused one way or another?  Then you have the argument of people trying to scam others that a game is no longer original which makes sense to me. But if one doesn’t draw the line somewhere. Where would it end i guess?  Start off with a crappy beat up version of a game cart with an original board but get reproduction label, maybe donor cart, reproduction box and manual. Now you have a nice restored game but only the board is original and it still feels dirty 

Yeah, it's really weird how hobbies can differ in their perspectives.  I also collect arcade games, which is under the umbrella of collecting "video games" and in that hobby, it's expected that if you have a beat-to-shit component you'll replace it.  There are tons of online stores selling thousands of reproduced items from marquees to control panel overlays to stencils to you name it!  Yet if someone were to repro any part of an expensive NES game, the part that is a repro doesn't even count as existing in terms of the value (which I agree with).  It is very weird to see such completely different paradigms within what is essentially the same hobby for me of "collecing video games."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it's really weird how hobbies can differ in their perspectives.  I also collect arcade games, which is under the umbrella of collecting "video games" and in that hobby, it's expected that if you have a beat-to-shit component you'll replace it.  There are tons of online stores selling thousands of reproduced items from marquees to control panel overlays to stencils to you name it!  Yet if someone were to repro any part of an expensive NES game, the part that is a repro doesn't even count as existing in terms of the value (which I agree with).  It is very weird to see such completely different paradigms within what is essentially the same hobby for me of "collecing video games."

This is an excellent example. Didn’t think of arcade machines 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
17 hours ago, Matthewnimmo said:

with other collectables (not all but some) restoration is actually ok and in some cases increases value (such as cars). I guess i always wondered whats the deal with restoring a label thats been abused one way or another? 

Yes, restoration is common in many hobbies (especially collecting items that have practical use), but in game collecting, it never really caught on. Probably because counterfeit games and labels are rampant. Aside from cleaning a game or gluing down a lifted label, there really isn't much "restoration" you can do to a label or cartridge shell that doesn't involve faking something.

The equivalent of car restoration in the game collecting sense would be if you have a game or console that isn't working, you could "restore" it to working order. Such as, if a chip failed, you could put EEPROMs in with the game code in place of the mask ROMs. But I'd still tape the original mask ROM inside the shell somewhere to keep it intact.

But the caveats are 1) it still isn't as valuable as an original working copy and 2) you should always disclose the restoration, especially since to a trained eye it'll be readily apparent anyway.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
On 1/13/2021 at 5:18 PM, Tulpa said:

Fake label games to me are the same value as a no-label game, which is less value than a trashed label.

I get what you mean, but do you ever watch ebay a lot on loose game sales?  Since Gameboy is about all I'll buy old anymore I do.  I've seen in the last year or two, so it's not just virus tools with floating money, there has been an influx of thrashed original Gameboy to GBC Pokemon titles (R, B, Y, S, G, C) where the seller has opted to rip it off, polish the plastic up pretty nicely, and throw a 1:1 as possible (unbranded as repop) sticker on there and they'll get completed sales as high or higher than ones with original stickers.  I think the tide is starting to shift on the game only side of things at least where less perhaps are giving a damn and would rather it just be nice than deal with an eyesore.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Replacement vs originality generally comes down to functionality vs art.

Comics, sports cards, video game labels/boxes/etc are art, where the point of collecting is finding nice original examples.

Cars and arcade machines are built out of serviceable parts. These items are expected to work and there's much less value when they don't. Although I'd still prefer a slightly worn cab or vintage car with mild patina over something that's been scrubbed and sanitized of all character. 

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted

True but I don't think games are that black and white, even if you want to own the old stuff.  I think there's far far more who just want to play than get hung up over a sticker anymore.  A few years ago I would have agreed but seeing trends of people rather who would pay more on something someone made nice, but only marginally more than an original in average or worse shape changed things.  Throwing all these high tier WATA shenanigans in I think it's driving that point home even further with a divide between the two interests as the collectors are pricing more people out (along with your classic ebay troll wanting 20% more than the last one sold hoping someone will fall for it.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...