IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

Not only does Jim Cornette think Obama was the greatest president we ever had, but he cut a pretty nice and touching promo about the struggles of BLM.  Including the talk of how Breonna Taylor was killed in Jims hometown.  I like Brian, I like Jim.  They're different, but I disagree with Brian with how things evolved.  Are they evolving?  Yes, but the current gen caters to only current wrestling fans, while Jims gripe is making wrestling more broader and real so average people can get into it.  One of the guys in my band asked "You know about AEW?" "Yeah of course".  He responded "It looks really silly goofy" and turned it off.  Thats now how you gain fans and looking at 'modern style' wrestling (Really AEW) their numbers have been pretty much even the past 8 months.  500-700k mostly, with some spikes up to 900+.  And to sound old, most of the people who are really into more 'modern' stuff, grew up with the stale 00's WWE stuff.

And to put a bow on this, I really liked wrestling much better when the audience believed it, and wasn't mostly filled with podcast smarks.

• Like 1

I think what Al says here is just fantastic.  Regardless of what you say about him during his run, he is absolutely correct here.  He got a lot of flack for saying Hogan was a great wrestler because he drew money and wasnt a technician in the ring (compared to a Bret Hart) but what he says here is 100% true and will ALWAYS be true.

Backlash exceeded expectations... though they were pretty low lol

Idk why they bothered putting the belt on Asuka, other then the rest of the WWE Horsewomen are already occupied... but even then surprised they didnt give it to Sasha or The OmniFlair didnt become Charlotte Two Belts. Asuka deserves so much better then a plodding (and potentially dangerous) program with Nia Jax. Also just not a good match. Why is feud still going?

Match of the Night was probably Sheamus vs Jeff Hardy... though wouldve been better if Jeff won. Especially if they keep this feud going.

Orton vs Edge was actually pretty good, if not a bit too long. A shame Edge got legit injured during the match. Also just lol at the piped in crowd noise. like wtf.

Everything else was alright. Alright to watch but not worth going out of your way for.

Solid C grade

Pretty crazy but not surprising tbh.  A lot of young, immature 'indie', potentially wannabe wrestlers with nice bodies around other opposite sex people with nice bodies.  The whole underage thing, is just really, really shameful.  The problem is, wrestling is fucked up behind the scenes.  Im POSITIVE ever wrestler has done something fucked up, except maybe Owen Hart and maybe Mick Foley.  I hope its kept to things that people have done that are actually criminal because once that seal is broken, I feel basically every wrestler will be calling out every other wrestler.  From drugs, infidelity, lying and cheating.  "Let he without sin cast the first stone" and with wrestling, I think thats pretty impossible.

He said if Vince calls him, he'll be there.  So he will be back when the fans are back.

As awesome as the Boneyard match was he was clearly training for and expecting a proper "wrestling" match with Styles in front of a live crowd.  He talks at length about going out on his shield and putting over the next guy since that is best for the business.  He can't be done.

• Like 1

I dunno.  I don't see it personally.  Taker doesn't 'need' that money, he's already got a 15 year contact to be used either as a guy to help train the younger guys or as an advertising tool.  Its more about his loyalty to Vince.  So will Vince use him in the future?  Maybe in a baaad pinch but I wouldn't imagine in a match capacity.  Plus last time, Saudi went so horribly, I would be surprised if they went back any time soon.  I actually thought that Taker would retire officially this year at Survivor Series.  30 years to the day he began (Technically his WWF debut, even though he wrestled earlier taped TV matches) AND I think its in Houston or Austin.  I figured they'd do another 'boneyard match' with Sting to finally say they did it and protect the guys by doing it cinematically.  

Hope he really does hang it up, there's no way it's worth risking himself or another wrestler - his age is really showing in the ring IMO (same with Goldberg and he's my all-time fav).  Taker will have a contract for life with the WWE, similar to Flair, plus I'm sure he's financially secure.

I got back into WWE 3-4 years ago when he broke his WM winning streak - ever since then (and maybe even prior), this seems to be the conversation year after year.  Don't push it like Favre :).

On 6/21/2020 at 2:51 AM, DarkTone said:

All these accusations about wrestlers right now...

Willing to share any info/links?  I heard about some high-level stuff on YT videos but they "weren't allowed to share much", and it focused on a few wrestlers getting into real scuffles in the locker room.

EDIT - nvm, found it - sexual assault accusations - yikes!

Edited by Boosted52405

Wrestletalk put out two videos over the weekend that cover it pretty well. Shit is f*cked yo

Then most recent video

And then the 'Taker news. I'm with Fox in that I see him having at least one more match when possible in front of a live audience. Survivor Series would be a great place for that. Keep Styles as IC Champ until then and have the rematch. Make sense from "unresolved business" that they seemed to have teased with Styles in regards to MitB and that 'Taker never held the IC title. I'd be fine with match that going either way tbh.

12 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

Willing to share any info/links?  I heard about some high-level stuff on YT videos but they "weren't allowed to share much", and it focused on a few wrestlers getting into real scuffles in the locker room.

EDIT - nvm, found it - sexual assault accusations - yikes!

Yeah. Some fired over the accusations. Even Cornette isn't safe. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else entertained by the fact that, for like a solid month+ before AEW was advertising their "Fyter Fest" as a over two weeks of Dynamite on TNT special event (and the fact that they announced Fighter Fest like 2 or more months ago regardless), then like days before this past wednesday WWE was like "OH YEA GUYS NEXT TWO WEEKS OF NXT ARE THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH!?" lol

You'd think Vince wouldn't be so terrible at running his promotion after some 25 or so years of doing it

17 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Anyone else entertained by the fact that, for like a solid month+ before AEW was advertising their "Fyter Fest" as a over two weeks of Dynamite on TNT special event (and the fact that they announced Fighter Fest like 2 or more months ago regardless), then like days before this past wednesday WWE was like "OH YEA GUYS NEXT TWO WEEKS OF NXT ARE THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH!?" lol

You'd think Vince wouldn't be so terrible at running his promotion after some 25 or so years of doing it

The big problem with Vince, is that he is in an isolation bubble and really doesn't know what is going on outside of his own company. Also Vince has been running WWE for about 40 years, just an FYI. 😉

17 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I gave him the benefit of the doubt that the last second Great American Bash branding was a dig at Cody since it was one of Dusty's creations. 

1 hour ago, Tekdrudge said:

Does anyone else feel that Bayley is a bad heel? I feel like she is trying to hard, and it makes her unbelievable. I thought she was great as a baby-face.

She had a good face run, but when she is such white meat baby-face that she can't use a kendo stick in a kendo stick on a pole match, she just looks dumb.  Just because she is dressed like a kid, she shouldn't act like a child.  So a heel turn was welcome.

She has been a good heel.  She is the role model of the division and largely backed that up by winning or at least cheating to win with the use of Sasha.  Her dunking on the commentators mid-match has been pretty entertaining.

Ultimately, I think we are going to see Bayley and Banks turn on each other and get a rematch of that great Takeover they did several years ago.  So I imagine we will see face Bayley again, unless they flip things this time and have face Banks vs heel Bayley.

11 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

Does anyone else feel that Bayley is a bad heel? I feel like she is trying to hard, and it makes her unbelievable. I thought she was great as a baby-face.

I would have to agree, but I wonder if it's because I'm so stuck on her being overly outrageously huggie/kiddie since I've followed her.  It does feel to me that she's trying too hard, kind of like a 16 year-old cocky high school girl that is running around with a another (Sasha).  I'd like to see more "seriousness" out of her, maybe less attention sort of thing but yeah I'm not buying it at all I definitely agree with you.  I struggle with her look and voice/overall attitude as well.  It's unfortunate as I did have a ton of interest when she turned, but am not a fan so far but I love Sasha face or heel.