IGNORED

Pro Wrestling thread

CodysGameRoom

18 hours ago, Estil said:

But at least the Super Bowl is a real championship...I mean you guys do know wrestling is fake right? *shields face in anticipation of tomatoes and such thrown at me*  And for Rocky's sake I sure hope it is fake!!  If not, then he's gonna need a really good chiropractor!!

18 hours ago, Estil said:

But at least the Super Bowl is a real championship...I mean you guys do know wrestling is fake right? *shields face in anticipation of tomatoes and such thrown at me*  And for Rocky's sake I sure hope it is fake!!  If not, then he's gonna need a really good chiropractor!!

If you are interested in some of the real side of wrestling a new series (free to watch) Dark Side of The Ring takes a look at some of the stories behind some famous wrestlers/incidents. It's like Behind the Music (if your old enough to remember that) but for wrestling

https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/video/the-last-of-the-von-erichs/5c1a9c65be407707c961c831

On 3/25/2020 at 6:17 PM, Estil said:

All the more reason I asked if there's anyway you can see past ones?

Also what exactly makes 'Mania and the other PPV's different from the "regular" wrestling you see on TV?  I mean there does have to be a special distinction or else people wouldn't pay what, $40-$50ish for it?

WWE Network is your best bet. You can still get Wrestlemania via PPV service for like 40+ (WM itself has went for $60 or more) but $10 a month for that and every other PPV as it coems out and nearly all previous WWE, WCW and ECW content is a damn good price for a wrestling fan.

If you's like I can give you some good recommendations on previous Wrestlmanias is not specific matches to watch. In particular any WM match with Shawn Michaels is basically a guarunteed good watch, especially if you start from his 2002 return up until his retirement in 2010.

22 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

If you's like I can give you some good recommendations on previous Wrestlmanias is not specific matches to watch. In particular any WM match with Shawn Michaels is basically a guarunteed good watch, especially if you start from his 2002 return up until his retirement in 2010.

Oh no no no no no no I wanted to do like Julie Andrews would say and start at the very beginning, a very good place to start! 😄  I mean isn't Wrestlemania 3 (or III if you prefer) generally considered the best, or at least the one that put 'Mania on the map?  And it was IV (4) that had our now fearless leader's first cameo/guest appearance as I had already pointed out earlier...just a few days after my 8th birthday I might add...

Say, if you were a kid from the 80s and you were in the right region of the country, this right here is how you knew the Saturday morning cartoons were done!

Edited by Estil

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Oh no no no no no no I wanted to do like Julie Andrews would say and start at the very beginning, a very good place to start! 😄  I mean isn't Wrestlemania 3 (or III if you prefer) generally considered the best, or at least the one that put 'Mania on the map?  And it was IV (4) that had our now fearless leader's first cameo/guest appearance right?

The first Mania put Mania on the map with the rock n wrestling connection. But yea WM3 is notable for Hogan body slamming Andre the Giant to one of the biggest pops ever. Be forewarned not all manias are "winners"

Administrator · Posted

Well, we all know it's scripted (or as you say "fake"), but it still requires a lot of athletic skill to pull some of those moves off.

I would implore you to watch the Mr Perfect/Bret Hart match from Summerslam '91 and the infamous Hell in a Cell match with Mankind and the Undertaker (some time in 98, don't recall the exact PPV).

Then after you watch those, realize that Mr Perfect did that match with a tailbone fracture, and then the Undertaker had a broken foot for the Hell in a Cell match.   

10 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Well, we all know it's scripted (or as you say "fake"), but it still requires a lot of athletic skill to pull some of those moves off.

I would implore you to watch the Mr Perfect/Bret Hart match from Summerslam '91 and the infamous Hell in a Cell match with Mankind and the Undertaker (some time in 98, don't recall the exact PPV).

Then after you watch those, realize that Mr Perfect did that match with a tailbone fracture, and then the Undertaker had a broken foot for the Hell in a Cell match.   

Undertaker vs Mankind was King of the Ring 98. Also Undertakers foot? THAT is the most impressive physical feat of that match for you?! Really!!???

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Undertaker vs Mankind was King of the Ring 98. Also Undertakers foot? THAT is the most impressive physical feat of that match for you?! Really!!???

No, but watch all the shit he does.  Seeing as how lots of giving a bump is pressure on your own body, that's pretty damn impressive.   (Not as impressive as the two major bumps Foley took, but still impressive.)

17 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

No, but watch all the shit he does.  Seeing as how lots of giving a bump is pressure on your own body, that's pretty damn impressive.   (Not as impressive as the two major bumps Foley took, but still impressive.)

Im not saying its not impressive on its own. But next to Mick Foley dislocating his shoulder on the first one, then climbing up the cage again, then the stairs shots he took on the same arm. I tense up just thinking about it

11 hours ago, SuperJimtendo said:

That's my all time favorite match homie.

Followed by bret vs Owen at mania X

I like Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at mania, a key match that really helped make Austin the Man.

11 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im not saying its not impressive on its own. But next to Mick Foley dislocating his shoulder on the first one, then climbing up the cage again, then the stairs shots he took on the same arm. I tense up just thinking about it

Well considering everything else that went on during that match, Taker working with a broken foot is just the metaphorical barbed wire cherry on top of the hardcore sundae lol

On 3/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Lmao i was thinking the same thing...Mankind is lucky to be alive!  I can't think of any one that took more of a beating than Mick Foley on a WWE stage.

I tuned in both nights, was better than I thought it would be as well, but really weird in the expected sense.  I think it's funny seeing the wrestlers doing their entrances and ring poses looking out into an empty building lol.

Really wanted my man Goldberg to attempt a Jackhammer but I am 99% sure he can't pull that off against Braun.

Very much enjoyed the ladder, last man standing, and graveyard matches - even if the graveyard one was more like a movie - is Undertaker going to continue?

The funhouse match made me feel like I was tripping on drugs, just fuggin weird but kinda cool at the same time.

Would have liked the Brock/Drew match to go a bit longer - did anyone hear about Brock backstage?

When it was good i dug it.  When it wasn't I didn't.  To me exposed who the real stars are and who needs more seasoning.  For example Charlotte/Rhea was so god damn good, it felt real.  You didn't realize there wasn't a crowd.  Others... well it was cringy.  Takers match was awesome and happy people dug it.  Thought it was gonna get shit on.  Im calling right now Taker/Sting Survivor Series '20 in this kind of style match. 30 years after the debut.  Sting wins, Taker retires.  Rights all the wrongs.

I was pretty underwhelmed. There was only one solid "wrestling" match and that was Rhea and Charlotte. The spectacles like the ladder match and the Edge match were good. Edge Orton is memorable. The "cinematic" stuff was fine for what it was. I'm an nWo mark so that part was amusing. 

But idk. Becky Shayna, Cesaro Gulak, and especially Bryan Zayn should have all been classics and felt super underwhelming. And both of the main titles matches were also leaving a LOT to be desired for me. 

Meh. 3/10.

13 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did anyone watch Wrestlemania over the weekend? It was better than I thought it would be, but it would have actually been good if they just stuck to 3 hours. There were too many filler matches with it being two days long.

I personally think it was overall pretty good. The matches youd expect to suck did obviously (Corbin vs Elias for example) but most of the other matches were good, if maybe a bit underwhelming with the lack of crowd. The Boneyard Match (Taker vs Styles) and Firefly Funhouse Match (Cena vs Wyatt) were pretty great, especially if your in to Cinematic TV/Movie style spectacles. I actually enjoyed Orton vs Edge for the story it told, even if the match dragged a bit.

WM 36 more then exceeded all expectations, even with those expectations being low lol

Not abad mania all things considered, more title changes than i would have guessed

I think the non-standard matches benefited the most, Boneyard, Last Man Standing, and Firefly Funhouse were all entertaining. Seeing Mcintyre win and the start the split of Sasha/Bayley was pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...