IGNORED

DS Portrait of Ruin Cart - random scribble or valuable signature?

GPX

I need help from someone here who either knows Japanese or collects for signed items..

I have a complete DS game - Portrait of Ruin, everything in like-new condition, but with some writing on it. I had purchased this several years ago, and didn't even realize stuff was written on the cart until I recently opened it up.

IMG_E8095.JPG.c603db5b1821115e59d418670aa969e2.JPG

If anyone can help me out with deciphering the scribbles in the above, free online kudos points for you!

• Like 3

Well from Wikipedia ... I guess you'd have to see if any of these names matched in kana/kanji

Director(s)

Satoshi Kushibuchi

Producer(s)

Koji Igarashi

Programmer(s)

Shutaro Iida

Writer(s)

Koji Igarashi
Hiroto Yamaguchi
Shutaro Iida

Composer(s)

Michiru Yamane
Yuzo Koshiro

from my very very limited hiragana knowledge.,. I don't see any matches there

Edited by Pendragonx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pendragonx said:

Well from Wikipedia ... I guess you'd have to see if any of these names matched in kana/kanji

Director(s)

Satoshi Kushibuchi

Producer(s)

Koji Igarashi

Programmer(s)

Shutaro Iida

Writer(s)

Koji Igarashi
Hiroto Yamaguchi
Shutaro Iida

Composer(s)

Michiru Yamane
Yuzo Koshiro

from my very very limited hiragana knowledge.,. I don't see any matches there

Can you at least make out one or two of the characters? Thanks for your input in the previous post!

1 minute ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

IGA is Koji Igarashi's nickname. You can see it at the bottom of Curse of Darkness' Japanese boxart.

IGAプロデュース

(Produced by IGA)

spacer.png

Thank goodness for VGS and fellow hardcore collectors!

Fun fact: I was about to list this on eBay as “DS Portrait of Ruin; complete with manual; unfortunately, some writing on the cart.”

Lucky I had a bright spark to ask on here first before listing!

• Like 2

and for those who really want to know, the signature is actually supposed to be

五十嵐 Iga (IGARASHI in Japanese and then IGA in English).

But for some reason sometimes he omits the 十, like below.

And 嵐 being rather complex, is written super quick and distorted, basically unrecognisable.

image.thumb.png.e00c59e632228134e44d13d9a466c3fd.png

my job here is done

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

16 minutes ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

So only the cart is signed? What about the box insert? or manual?

Case and manual is mint, which is why I was initially disappointed when I saw scribbling on the cart. Then I pondered and was hopeful this was some famous signature, considering everything else was well kept, including the cart contacts as well. Thanks for your input!

• Like 2

It's really strange that he signed a ridiculously small DS cartridge label instead of the box insert, as he (and everybody else who signs games) usually does. I guess the guy who got it signed wasn't having his brightest day. It's also possible the insert was signed and swapped at some point by a previous owner. It's easy to miss a signature or dismiss it as random writing (especially if it's in a different language).

That Dracula X signed insert is how it should be done😁

Let me know how much you manage to sell it!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GPX said:

Would you prefer...random Japanese scribbles? 😉

Yes, I would, it would be amusing, but something about it was eating at me but I just couldn't figure it out.  Something about it seemed like I had seen it once before which is why I tried to dig just a little.  Glad I kept watching this thread, cool to see IGA smooshed the short signature version of his name on there, a total saver.  Almost worth if you're a fan, to just stuff that in a little plastic shell or something to preserve it whether you're an autograph hunter or not.  It's not like the loose DS card of it will break the bank to replace it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2021 at 1:17 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

It's really strange that he signed a ridiculously small DS cartridge label instead of the box insert, as he (and everybody else who signs games) usually does. I guess the guy who got it signed wasn't having his brightest day. It's also possible the insert was signed and swapped at some point by a previous owner. It's easy to miss a signature or dismiss it as random writing (especially if it's in a different language).

That Dracula X signed insert is how it should be done😁

Let me know how much you manage to sell it!

It’s also possible that the previous owner only brought the cart along for the signature and not the entire case/manual. Just a fun thought, I wonder if your PSP Castlevania was signed on the same place/day using that same silver pen? 🙂

After knowing what the “scribbles” mean, I’ve decided to keep it as my core collection. Now my one and only signed game!

• Like 1

iga_auto.thumb.jpg.b9d4d38a0befe23c537f41b54555ecc5.jpg

Here is my IGA autograph.  I got this from him in person at the GameStop manager's conference the year he was there to promote Order of Ecclesia.  He was really nice, had to talk to him through a translator, I told him how much I loved his Castlevania games like an enthusiastic fanboy.  He was humble about it and told me thanks for enjoying his games.  I have a picture of us somewhere on an old hard drive hiding away in the closet.  I will try to dig it out sometime.

The picture is a thin cardstock, that frame is an 8 x 10 so its a bit smaller than that.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

5 minutes ago, Jicsan said:

iga_auto.thumb.jpg.b9d4d38a0befe23c537f41b54555ecc5.jpg

Here is my IGA autograph.  I got this from him in person at the GameStop manager's conference the year he was there to promote Order of Ecclesia.  He was really nice, had to talk to him through a translator, I told him how much I loved his Castlevania games like an enthusiastic fanboy.  He was humble about it and told me thanks for enjoying his games.  I have a picture of us somewhere on an old hard drive hiding away in the closet.  I will try to dig it out sometime.

The picture is a thin cardstock, that frame is an 8 x 10 so its a bit smaller than that.

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I wonder if he only signs in a silver pen? Or perhaps all the signatures seen on this thread might be done on the same event and year with that same silver pen? 🤔

• Like 1