IGNORED

Star Wars: Sequels vs Prequels

Gloves

Sequels vs Prequels  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Prequels (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith)
    • Sequels (Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rise of Skywalker)

Events Team · Posted

The sequel trilogy is going through the same thing the prequel trilogy did. For now a lot of people dislike them, but give it 10-15 more years and people will start saying "Wait, maybe the sequel trilogy isn't as bad as we all thought it was!" and the cycle will repeat.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

The sequel trilogy is going through the same thing the prequel trilogy did. For now a lot of people dislike them, but give it 10-15 more years and people will start saying "Wait, maybe the sequel trilogy isn't as bad as we all thought it was!" and the cycle will repeat.

I don't disagree with this in general, but it doesn't apply to me.  I've been a defender of the prequel trilogy since it came out.  I don't argue that the prequel trilogy is amazing, and I certainly don't argue that it's better than the original trilogy, but I have always maintained that it isn't as bad as most people say.  

• Like 1

Star wars is part of my life and I can't even try to avoid it, I honestly just love the feeling I had as a kid experiencing the original trilogy for the first time on vhs and want to look at everything else with rose colored glasses. 

When the 97 rerelases got theater time I got to see empire and jedi on the screen and didn't even care about the cgi changes. When prequels came out, it was like there finally was a starwars of my generation and I would ride my bike to the local theater and see phantom menace multiple times, I loved the ship design and art style for it (always been a sucker for art deco). The other two not so much, they were ok but it still wasn't the original trilogy feeling.

Then disney

So many meh things but out of them, my first date with my fiancee was seeing the first disneyfied sequel, and I proposed at disney infront of the millennium falcon. I think despite all the negatives there is still some sparking that childhood feeling in the sequels despite all the copycat bs but they're definitely milking the cow dry now with all the content coming out.

Best thing disney did with starwars is the theme parks.

I vote prequels because of art deco spaceships.

• Like 1

Prequels, I just feel they were REALLY well done with respect to the main story.  The evolution of Anakin and the surrounding elements were excellent.

Sequels were excellent too, but they get a little out of hand with the use of Jedi powers.  Not a huge fan of the handling of Luke throughout the sequels at all.

Both were better than IV, V, IV...in my opinion (I don't think they held up all that great).

Side note - Mandolorian is super enjoyable, especially the end of S2.  However, wish they'd quit repeating the same elements in almost every single episode.

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

Both were better than IV, V, IV...in my opinion (I don't think they held up all that great).

Just wondering how old you are?  This is the first time in my entire life I've ever heard anyone say this, so I'm really curious as to your background with these films...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just wondering how old you are?  This is the first time in my entire life I've ever heard anyone say this, so I'm really curious as to your background with these films...

I'm 36 and did not watch the originals growing up, resulting in this opinion (and also why I'm sure so many are passionate about the originals).

I watched SW off and on growing up but never got into it until I, II, and III were already on DVD.  After reading several debates online on which order to watch 1-6, I did give IV-VI a fair chance and watched them first before I-III.  They were soooooooo much more engaging.

The only time in my life I was really a big Star Wars nerd was like 95-98 era when I read the book Shadows of the Empire, and the PC/N64 game came out. That was around the time I really watched the original Trilogy, and I was reading a series of young adult books based around Han Solo's children (can't remember what the series was called, it was written by a husband/wife team) and pretty much my interest in Star Wars peaked when Rogue Squadron for N64 came out. I like the Pod Racing videogame a lot (as well as Sega's arcade version) but I have never even watched a single minute of a Star Wars movie since I saw Phantom Menace at a party at a friends house. Never seen Episode 5, 6, or any of the movies of the last 10 years at all.

I enjoyed Rogue One as well.  It's certainly the best Star Wars movie that Disney has handled.  Disney hasn't been a complete disaster with Star Wars.  There have been several good aspects of the purchase.  Rogue One is good.  The Mandalorian is good.  The Star Wars stuff at the Disney parks is great.  Honestly, the only problem I have with any of it is the way they have handled the mainline Star Wars movies.  The sequel trilogy movies were written in a way that makes me believe they have little to no understanding  of the source material, and that's pretty unfortunate.   

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted
7 hours ago, trj22487 said:

The only time in my life I was really a big Star Wars nerd was like 95-98 era when I read the book Shadows of the Empire, and the PC/N64 game came out. That was around the time I really watched the original Trilogy, and I was reading a series of young adult books based around Han Solo's children (can't remember what the series was called, it was written by a husband/wife team) and pretty much my interest in Star Wars peaked when Rogue Squadron for N64 came out. I like the Pod Racing videogame a lot (as well as Sega's arcade version) but I have never even watched a single minute of a Star Wars movie since I saw Phantom Menace at a party at a friends house. Never seen Episode 5, 6, or any of the movies of the last 10 years at all.

Young Jedi Knights

I didn't realize everything was retconned until the new movies revealed that Han and Leia's kid was named Ben

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Young Jedi Knights

I didn't realize everything was retconned until the new movies revealed that Han and Leia's kid was named Ben

Yes, that was the title! Oh man, just looking on the old covers on Google makes me so nostalgic...I must have had the first 20 or so...

I always assumed the newer movies probably didn't treat those books as existent....Jacen and Jaina Solo.....I remember 'em

On 1/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I haven't seen Rise of Skywalker, so I'll abstain

As much as I love the prequels, I think TFA and TLJ are good Star Wars movies. The TRS is meh and I thought that the Dual of Fates (scrapped 9th movie) would've solidified the trilogy. 

Sequels are the opposite of the prequels. The started strong and ended weak while the prequels started weak and ended strong. Still AOTC was too weak and Phantom Menace had tooooooo much damn side story and ultimately, somehow, lacked lure but did a great job of world building 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
On 1/11/2021 at 5:27 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

As much as I love the prequels, I think TFA and TLJ are good Star Wars movies. The TRS is meh and I thought that the Dual of Fates (scrapped 9th movie) would've solidified the trilogy. 

Sequels are the opposite of the prequels. The started strong and ended weak while the prequels started weak and ended strong. Still AOTC was too weak and Phantom Menace had tooooooo much damn side story and ultimately, somehow, lacked lure but did a great job of world building 

Yeah, it's a shame we ended up with the iteration of Rise of Skywalker that we got, that was the only movie in the trilogy I wasn't a big fan of, and I really like the sound of that scrapped concept. I think that would've made for a much better overall movie.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, it's a shame we ended up with the iteration of Rise of Skywalker that we got, that was the only movie in the trilogy I wasn't a big fan of, and I really like the sound of that scrapped concept. I think that would've made for a much better overall movie.

This guy had the scrapped script animated.

He goes over it here

THen animated it in this one

I just can't help but this this is how that sequels should have ended. The whole time Rey would've had her own light saber, Fin would've had his story arc completed and not completely altered, and Luke would've been a true mentor to Rey instead of just showing up that one time to help her before she went to exigal.

And if you have even more time on your hands, here's a great one:

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1