IGNORED

Any reason why this MTPO cart is going for $100?? Not a 5 screw.

Ninja Warriors

13 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

It's a second print with a nice label, but that's about it. Maybe sham bidding or confused bidding? There is no way the winner will pay up though.

I know the white bullets are 1st print run and command a slight premium, but I did not know if there was a rare version outside of a 5 screw.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:15 AM, Tanooki said:

Stimulus stupidity part 2.  The money just started getting doled out within the last few days.  $600/head in the house.

I get that theory, but there are like 20 carts available with BINs in the 30 to 40 dollar range. And that always seems to be the case with these crazy inflated auctions. There are always much cheaper/better BIN options. Thats why I tend to think its shill bidding. Sale will never go through, but if you do this a few times and the sales make there way to GVN and price charting, you can raise the cart price artificially. At the risk of sounding like pat the nes punk, that is a real risk for the video game market. You couldnt do that with stocks or other commidities. SECC would hammer you quick. But it wouldnt be hard to do with retro video games and there isnt any real legal risk that I know of. 

On 1/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, NESfiend said:

I get that theory, but there are like 20 carts available with BINs in the 30 to 40 dollar range. And that always seems to be the case with these crazy inflated auctions. There are always much cheaper/better BIN options. Thats why I tend to think its shill bidding. Sale will never go through, but if you do this a few times and the sales make there way to GVN and price charting, you can raise the cart price artificially. At the risk of sounding like pat the nes punk, that is a real risk for the video game market. You couldnt do that with stocks or other commidities. SECC would hammer you quick. But it wouldnt be hard to do with retro video games and there isnt any real legal risk that I know of. 

To be fair I think it is a bit of both.  Shills make things worse playing price games to drive up sales, or as the media language would say 'fake sales' using 'fake news' of those sales.  You create a bunch of fake news on puffed up moved items, then some others will think they can get it too.  Then you get the whole circular death spiral of...damnit it's going up mentality I have to act now.  Couple that with the promise of free money and if you're not needing to use/save it on something else, you get loose and stupid with it. That whole abusive commodity market crap is exactly why I've mostly given up buying old games because it's a racket, and I'm fed up with being pushed around by it more or less.

The winning bidders activity is weird. It is a new account (6 fb), and on the time I'm writing this post, he is the leading bidder on 4 different items ending in the next 2 hours. Three of them video games, and the fourth "Toys & Hobbies > Collections & Lots".

I don't know about you guys, but if I was new in ebay I'd wait for my first order or two to be delivered, see how it goes, before I go on a shopping spree.

Also, note that he probably set an automatic bid for over $100 on it when it was $30 or something. So it's not "being carried away", he actually planned and intended to pay a ridiculous amount.