IGNORED

Friend gave me his old WiiU for Christmas....got it fully set up last night.....uh....wtf

trj22487

11 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

The thing I love about the Wii U is the opportunity for asymmetric multiplayer. Nintendo Land is just too cool with a group of four people.

It's just a shame it never took off and Nintendo was unable to effectively promote it. Games like Nintendoland showed a real promise of new gameplay experiences, and that's something I'm interested in. Quite frankly, I'm no longer interested in slight graphical upgrades to the same games again and again (sometimes literally), which is why I don't see the attraction of PS4/5 and XB1/whatever the new one is called.

• Like 2

Glad you got one!  Tons of fun games on it.  I got one in '14 and played it regularly for a long time, to the point where I've beaten al.ost every game in the library that I wanted to beat. 

It's still our Netflix box and I still occassionally play it.  A great console and glad you're getting into

BTW I have a WiiU and I'm glad to have it and I'm even more glad that the Switch is learning to be itself.  There's already a WiiU.

Say is there anything a WiiU Homebrew ready WiiU can do that a Wii Homebrew ready Wii cannot?  Or is it still too early to be thinking about doing things like that?  The 3DS system software was just updated so Nintendo is not quite ready to fully let it retire just yet...

11 hours ago, Estil said:

Say is there anything a WiiU Homebrew ready WiiU can do that a Wii Homebrew ready Wii cannot?  Or is it still too early to be thinking about doing things like that?  The 3DS system software was just updated so Nintendo is not quite ready to fully let it retire just yet...

The Wii U is more capable machine just overall for homebrew.

The 3DS had an update but the homebrew patch came out the next day. As long as you're up to speed on the scenes, you'll never guess get locked out of an old Nintendo console that has custom firmware. 

Wii U had a slow start but it is a great system with a solid foundation of games. It's a shame that it was a commercial flop. I think Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be the Switch but just couldn't quite get there in time. Between the horrendous marketing, it needing to be closely tethered to the console, and tough 3rd party development with the gamepad it's not really a surprise where it ended up. The release of BotW on the Switch was the dagger in the heart for the system but a decision that ultimately launched the Switch into massive success.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I still think the games with good tablet support are pretty unique and give the Wii U one advantage over the Switch. Nintendo Land really showed what could have been possible with multiplayer but it was never taken advantage of for the most part. That game is really fun though and I've had a blast playing at parties and with my wife. There's lots of really good 1st party titles that you can get for next to nothing these days.

• Like 1