IGNORED

Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 246/303

Splain

Events Helper · Posted

Ok, so I borrowed a power supply from a guy at work for my n64.  Turns out, it works like its brand new!!!!!!!

So crazy that no real good aftermarket ps have been made for the poor red headed stepchild of nintendo 😞  

Anyway, went ahead and and did this:

NFL Quarterback club 98 beaten with the best team @ZeldaFan042

3nUNPYX.jpg

That's how Favre does it buddy!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, McBryce said:

I also made it about 1/3 of the way through Quest 64, so I should have that one done soon.

First time playing it, I thought I was supposed to hate this game?

You're not, it's just a tired played out meme before they were even called that.  Final Fantasy trolls loved to use it as the excuse why n64 sucked.  I think it was mostly penis envy because Square promised to deliver a 3D final fantasy, but it still was the same flat combat system from Nintendo.  Quest though really did a full 3D JRPG combat and all, and it works.  Sure you can tank the game and club most stuff to death and just take the beating and heal when needed, but if you really work the system it's a really great little game with a really bad rep it didn't deserve fanboys imposed on it that stuck.

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

Lol I love Quest 64.

I see you have good taste. 😄

I don't usually look in here, gameboy is my grounds mainly.  But I was really curious, now that the cat is out of the bag this year, will Dinosaur Planet qualify if it is found that it can be completed?

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 121/303
Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I don't usually look in here, gameboy is my grounds mainly.  But I was really curious, now that the cat is out of the bag this year, will Dinosaur Planet qualify if it is found that it can be completed?

Eh, maybe if we finish everything else first. 40 Winks isn't on the list either. Yet.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You're not, it's just a tired played out meme before they were even called that.  Final Fantasy trolls loved to use it as the excuse why n64 sucked.  I think it was mostly penis envy because Square promised to deliver a 3D final fantasy, but it still was the same flat combat system from Nintendo.  Quest though really did a full 3D JRPG combat and all, and it works.  Sure you can tank the game and club most stuff to death and just take the beating and heal when needed, but if you really work the system it's a really great little game with a really bad rep it didn't deserve fanboys imposed on it that stuck.

I see you have good taste. 😄

I totally get it. The slander was outrageous. “If FF7 was on N64 it would take 7 cartridges!!!”

Total bullshit. This game is fun and the battle system has some nuance. I just wish all the elements were equally effective. I’ve been pouring everything into Earth and Water and it is working out fantastically. 

Events Helper · Posted

Think Imma start nuclear strike, it looks like the jungle strike games for snes and i really enjoyed those.  Ill start it over the weekend and hopefully finish it by monday!!!!  We shall see, might take a bit to get into it, but just so nobody starts it, ill start it when i get home tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Splain said:

Eh, maybe if we finish everything else first. 40 Winks isn't on the list either. Yet.

Strange, hadn't noticed, considering it had I thought a PAL N64 release int he day didn't it?  Piko did get it out so it's officially modern released at least.  I'll be curious to see what happens with DP, it's under construction now trying to stop the crash bugs, implement any intended disabled stuff, etc to try and to get to stable completion.

9 hours ago, McBryce said:

I totally get it. The slander was outrageous. “If FF7 was on N64 it would take 7 cartridges!!!”

Total bullshit. This game is fun and the battle system has some nuance. I just wish all the elements were equally effective. I’ve been pouring everything into Earth and Water and it is working out fantastically. 

Pretty much and I got so fed up with it.  I got FF7 around that time, to me, the superior PC version.  Most dump on it, but it had better resolution, and if you could run the yamaha sound synthesizer the music was notably nicer too.  As far as Quest goes, you're doing it right building those two out as a priority.  Wind I'd put some in, the multi-gust attack does some serious spread damage worth considering, but I'm thinking you like throwing those big boulders around.  One thing I admired about the game was them intentionally flipping the bird to other JRPG makers.  Yet another game, the world knows you're out to save it, so what do they do in Quest?  Free room at the INN, free supplies when you need them.  Other games... pay up or get out.  It was a nice nod to the nonsense.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Strange, hadn't noticed, considering it had I thought a PAL N64 release int he day didn't it?  Piko did get it out so it's officially modern released at least.  I'll be curious to see what happens with DP, it's under construction now trying to stop the crash bugs, implement any intended disabled stuff, etc to try and to get to stable completion.

Pretty much and I got so fed up with it.  I got FF7 around that time, to me, the superior PC version.  Most dump on it, but it had better resolution, and if you could run the yamaha sound synthesizer the music was notably nicer too.  As far as Quest goes, you're doing it right building those two out as a priority.  Wind I'd put some in, the multi-gust attack does some serious spread damage worth considering, but I'm thinking you like throwing those big boulders around.  One thing I admired about the game was them intentionally flipping the bird to other JRPG makers.  Yet another game, the world knows you're out to save it, so what do they do in Quest?  Free room at the INN, free supplies when you need them.  Other games... pay up or get out.  It was a nice nod to the nonsense.

I noticed that. Very refreshing. No bulky menus or hundreds of pieces of equipment to manage.

I’ll take your advice and start putting some points into wind.

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 122/303
4 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

Hercules the Legendary Journey is done.

6FBE82C2-91BF-447F-A449-BEF79D219E00.thumb.jpeg.fb5b51e66a2cbc9627cc6105ba5da8bf.jpeg

How was it, ever tried Xena either?  I loved those shows in the day, just so well done with just the right about of cheese but wrote the games off as just licensed garbage from what little I saw with pics in Nintendo Power.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

How was it, ever tried Xena either?  I loved those shows in the day, just so well done with just the right about of cheese but wrote the games off as just licensed garbage from what little I saw with pics in Nintendo Power.

Hercules was mostly a Zelda lite. The combat is more inline with a beat em up. Then to change up the game play a bit there are two additional characters that you use to complete different sections of the game. I enjoyed it, nothing amazing, but a fun change of pace.

Now the final fight with Ares kinda sucked. It took me 30 minutes. Because you just slowly chip away his health. I could get one or two hits before I would have to run from his attacks. Not hard just time consuming. 

Xena is a fighting game. With about the same controls as MK4. 

Edited by themisfit138
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 125/303

Pod racer is finally done. I got first on every race but one (the last snow one, took second). At some point, Ill go back and remedy that and beat the 4 optional races for a perfect completion, but Im pod raced out for now. Boonta classic took me a lot of tries. 

20210228_215401.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 7

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 127/303

@ZeldaFan042 How did you beat the Turok games so easily, especially the second one? Any advice? Because we had Turok 2 back in the day and never managed to get past level 4. That was a total beast of a level. It tends to get really difficult and has long, maze-like levels, imho.

I've started Hexen yesterday and put several hours into it. There are only few levels but they are massive and intertwined, so that it can be really challenging to find out how to progress, because you have to backtrack all the time to figure out what certain switches do.

Also, it's really frustrating that the power ups are only temporary or that they can break. You have to put a lot of effort into finding a piece of armor or a shield only to then realize that they seem to break after a few hits. I thought that they were permanent upgrades that would reduce damage, but unfortunately no. It doesn not work like in an RPG.

So I easily spent one or two hours trying to unlock the bonus level and beating it, where I was rewarded with a complete set of armor and an invincibility item. But, and here's my problem with this, I had to do so much fighting just to get there and that bonus level was also filled with incredibly difficult enemies, that alle the armor upgrades I received were gone by the end of that level! Then what's even the point of such a bonus level? It takes so, so much time and effort and you're left with pretty much nothing. That frustrated me so much.

Furthermore the battles tend to get a little bit tedious since you basically only have one type of weapon, which means that every battle is pretty much the same. Maybe it was a mistake to play Doom 64 before Hexen, because that had way more variety and the shooting was more fun and satisfying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

How did you beat the Turok games so easily, especially the second one?

I definitely wouldn't say it was easy haha. I've been slowly chipping away at both of them all week. I try to just work my way through one level at a time, and if I get too frustrated I put the other game in for awhile. 

• Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted

Mostly done with Nuclear Strike, taking a break......might try a sporty ball game or something later too.  Just figured I would update with some progress.  Loving Nuclear Strike though.  Very reminiscent of the snes strikes.....Loved those games growing up.

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 128/303
  • The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 129/303
  • The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 130/303
Events Helper · Posted

All-Star Baseball 99 done.  I'm actually surprised, I am liking these games.  They are not bad games at all.  Who would have known that I would like sportyball games.

GLA6zoF.jpg

Was da yankees.  They seem pretty OP, but 🤷‍♂️ better for me.  I think I will move on to 2000 now.  Maybe beat it tomorrow after work, see how well the yankees hold up on that game 😊

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 131/303