IGNORED

Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 246/303

Splain

9 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

not sure really, just didn't know because I thought we were thinking about adjusting points.  Figured I would get the input while the pain was fresh in your head 😆

It not that bad of a game its just incredibly underwhelming. But speaking of painful games, I forgot to mention to the thread I started South Park Rally. 

Fun Fact I wasn't aware of, when you save the game your only saving the things you unlocked. NOT your place in the championship. So imagine my dismay when I Loaded up my save to find I had to start the championship from square again. I think there are 14 "races" in the mode so I have to dedicate some time to do it straight thru.

• Wow! 2

Events Helper · Posted
13 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It not that bad of a game its just incredibly underwhelming. But speaking of painful games, I forgot to mention to the thread I started South Park Rally. 

Fun Fact I wasn't aware of, when you save the game your only saving the things you unlocked. NOT your place in the championship. So imagine my dismay when I Loaded up my save to find I had to start the championship from square again. I think there are 14 "races" in the mode so I have to dedicate some time to do it straight thru.

oof, that sux.  Im working this weekend, maybe on monday i can knock out another game, my 10 that are on the way should be here by then. 

So the typical Jeevan pep talk.  Let's keep this up guys.  We are well over target for the month, almost ahead by 1 month!!!!!!  Lets keep it going!!!!  Also, i got next week off so there is that, but i got some stuff to make sure i get done, so I will dedicate as much time as possible and get as many as i can knocked out.  I will commit to 2 for sure, but hopefully 4 or 5.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, RetroMichel said:

Hey guys, RetroMichel’s here to help you !

I beat Banjo-Tooie. It was the XBLA version, but that should count, right ?

I wish I’d forget everything about that game...

Just so I can discover it again for the first time and be amazed by its wonderful and magical universe.

3C4E1979-8B9D-41EE-B97A-B63576A552B3.jpeg

I still haven't played Tooie, despite having loved the 1st game when it came out.

• Angry 1

Events Helper · Posted
47 minutes ago, RetroMichel said:

Just so I can discover it again for the first time and be amazed by its wonderful and magical universe.

3C4E1979-8B9D-41EE-B97A-B63576A552B3.jpeg

I'd count it, but idk, is it the same, only remastered?  anyways, welcome aboard, hope to get this done this year, why not?  🤷‍♂️

• Angry 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RetroMichel said:

What's up! For anyone unaware, @LeatherRebel5150 started this thread for the first time in 2012, then it changed hands a couple of times, and then @RetroMichel ran it for 3 years in a row. It's going to be a good year! Now we're at 50 games.

• Angry 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I still haven't played Tooie, despite having loved the 1st game when it came out.

I rented Tooie as a teenager. I remember expecting it to just be "more Banjo Kazooie" but for some reason, it felt like some of the magic was missing. I didn't get all that far through it though. I definitely hear good things about it.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 50/303

I don't think it's an emulator. It does remaster some assets (UI stuff mainly), and the game overall runs much smoother. It's a very good port.

It is completely the same game though. Outside of Nintendo references being removed, they left everything intact, and completing it is really no different from completing it on an N64. Or at least no difference from completing it on an N64 emulator. In my opinion.

Edited by Sumez

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, OptOut said:

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOT ON MY WATCH BUDDY! 😡

@RetroMichel You pick up a damn N64 controller, stamp that cart into the machine and get cracking, Banjo-Tooie is worth playing through twice! 😤

doesn't splain emulate?   🤣

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Splain said:

I like your passion. What N64 game you working on, Opty? 😄

Hmmm... Well I DID finish an N64 game last night actually! However, two problems...

First, I started it last year because I just have ZERO time to do anything these days so it takes me like MONTHS to complete a single game.

Second, it's 40 winks, which was unreleased so it's not on the list! This is the Piko interactive licensed reproduction of the game, which actually is well worth playing IMO.

I am thinking about starting Shadowgate 64 next however, so I'll be back in June or whatever when I finish it! 😛😉

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Ooh, it would be neat to add 40 Winks to the list. Maybe that will be DLC/post-game after we finish them all.

BTW everyone, I'm ok accepting the XBLA version of Banjo Kazooie or Tooie, or the 3D All-Stars version of Mario 64. But I'm assuming those versions are 99.999% faithful to the originals, with only graphical tweaks, and it sounds like some scrubbing of references in the Banjo games. The 3DS remakes of the Zelda games have differences that actually affect the gameplay, so they aren't accepted. But we can totally discuss it if someone's opposed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Splain said:

Ooh, it would be neat to add 40 Winks to the list. Maybe that will be DLC/post-game after we finish them all.

Well, there are two playable characters in 40 winks which I believe play through different paths in each level or something... So I might swing back round to it and play through it again as the other character at some point!

18 minutes ago, Splain said:

BTW everyone, I'm ok accepting the XBLA version of Banjo Kazooie or Tooie, or the 3D All-Stars version of Mario 64. But I'm assuming those versions are 99.999% faithful to the originals, with only graphical tweaks, and it sounds like some scrubbing of references in the Banjo games. The 3DS remakes of the Zelda games have differences that actually affect the gameplay, so they aren't accepted. But we can totally discuss it if someone's opposed.

Honestly, I would have played the N64 version normally for this thread, but I was playing Rare Replay lately and thought of you guys when I completed Banjo-Tooie. Sure, there are some changes to the XBLA version, like references to Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and other more recent Rare games. However, I would say it is 99.999% faithful to the original.

BTW, I'm looking forward helping you guys a lot this year !

• Like 1

Didn't the remaster of Banjo Kazooie have some kind of change to collecting notes to make it more like in Tooie, so that they stay collected and you don't have to get all 100 in a level without dying?

This topic seem to be making decent progress. I'll mostly be busy with the NES this year but I'd be willing to play/replay the following games if nobody else gets to them by October and the topic seems otherwise within reasonable striking distance of its goal:

• Hybrid Heaven
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Rayman 2
  • Quest 64
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Paper Mario
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Mischief Makers
  • Bomberman 64 (good thing it's any ending, getting the good ending for this is kinda painful!)

Additionally, if Ogre Battle 64 isn't done by November, I could spend a month or two playing the first three games of that franchise.

Could maybe try some other games too if needed near the end but probably won't be playing any fighting, sports, or racing games.

Edited by MagusSmurf
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Oof, that's true, here's what looks like a credible rundown of differences:

https://banjokazooie.fandom.com/wiki/Banjo-Kazooie_(Xbox_Live_Arcade)
https://banjokazooie.fandom.com/wiki/Banjo-Tooie_(Xbox_Live_Arcade)

I'd say that's a pretty significant difference that invalidates the XBLA version of Kazooie. I don't really know enough about Tooie to understand some of the differences mentioned in that wiki.

Made it through San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing. I have a lot of fond memories of the first two Rush games from back in the day - my brother and I spent countless hours (especially with Rush 2) messing around, looking for all the hidden keys, trying to see how far we could jump our cars, finding secret areas, etc. We played them more as sandbox/exploration games, which is their strength. Playing through this now as an actual racing game? Frustrating. I had to restart most races countless times until I could piece together a good enough run.

I may eventually get to the others in the series, but for now I need a break from Midway games.

897920740_SanFranciscoRush-ExtremeRacing(U)!-210129-152809.png.386b05bf40c446f565b5e559a2149a9e.png

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

So, I first played Razor Freestyle Scooter 2 years ago, and it took me probably an hour a day for 3 days to really get the hang of things and nail down the trickier goals. Last year I played it again, and it took 2 hours in 2 days. I found the cart recently at a local shop so I picked it up. I thought I'd get it started, and that I'd finish it tomorrow, but I just slammed it out. Next year it won't take any time at all!

VnuT3sA.jpg

When I was a kid I though it was cool to peel the silver foil off of gum wrappers and stick it to other things. I had hoped to cover the entire N64, but I didn't get far.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 52/303