IGNORED

Post your collecting goals for 2021

I should be able to finish my CIB US Castlevania set this year. All I need are the manuals for Bloodlines and Dracula X, a CIB Portrait of Ruin (which I used to have), then just pick up physical copies of the reboot games.

Will continue working towards a CIB US N64 set as well though there's no way it will be finished this year. I'm about at the halfway point. Hopefully I can pick up at least one more component of the big ticket items. Didn't get anything for them in 2020, though good progress was made on the mid-tier items.

Also: finally get a box for Mega Man 2 as that's the last of my all-time favorite games that isn't CIB (not counting PC games at least).

• Like 4

Here is my list of goals I realistically hope to complete in 2021!

Get these games:
- Dragon Quest IV: The Guided Ones (DS version)
- Dragon Quest V: The Heavenly Bride (DS version)
- Dragon Quest VI: Land of Illusion (DS version)

[EDIT: I am shaving out Atlus for the time being so I can build a TRPG collection.]

This year I plan to complete my Dragon Quest game collection. It is a greatly toned down version when compared to how I was collecting in 2017. Plus it allows me to add a few titles when/if all of my collection can be sent off to WataGames for grading.

Plus if I can return to Japan this year I also hope to find time to revisit ARTNIA, Luida's Bar, and Akiba's Square Enix Cafe. Just to see if they have any exclusives that interest me.

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 5

I have no specific goals at this point other then to get a copy of Chibi-Robo. I’m continuing to add to my GameCube collection, reacquiring a pared down collection I had sold off, when I find stuff I want at a good price or through trade. Otherwise it’s just getting games as I come across them for my new Switch console. Why did I wait so long on this system? It’s fantastic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nrslam said:

My goal is to have less at the end of the year than I have now.

Couldn't agree more.  You'd be shocked at the G1 Transformers, various other vintage items, including some games I pulled off my shelves in the last couple of weeks and started stuffing on ebay just before the year ended to take advantage of the freebies.  I'm lowering the totals on all sorts of stuff.

• Like 3

Things have gotten really competitive around here Famicom wise, and with covid-19, I don't think now is the right time to shoot for some obscure carts I want from countries with less-than stellar postal systems. And the local games I am missing, I haven't found over the past ten years so I won't set expectations there.

That said, I'm going to set a few goals.

#1: I want to get more homebrew / indie games, both for NES , Famicom, and possibly some for Game Boy. I've really been getting into these recently, and I sort of see it as the new frontier.

#2: I plan to reinventory everything, and try to organise it somewhat better. I'm at the point where I need to stuff items in totes, or have it all spilling over into my living room, which I don't want. Thing is, although I collect games and enjoy multiple aspects about them, it's only just one small portion of who I am as a person. The shear volume of games would make many people think otherwise, and as such, I just prefer to keep it in the game room.

#3: I want to curate my collection of and trim some of the fat. And there's a lot.

#4: Grab a few more cheapie og Xbox Taiwan releases?! Maybe even grab an Xbox so I can try them out 🤣

#5: Actually do more gaming.

• Like 4

I have just a few goals because I feel like I don't really have a focus right now.

1) Reach 4000 games in the collection (I'm at almost 3600 right now);

2) Reach 350 3DS games (I'm at 300 games right now);

3) Complete the Brazilian GBA set (I'm missing just 1 manual but this is more a luck thing than money since I've been looking for a CIB copy of this game for more than one year and have yet to find it);

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

Be more appreciative of what I already have in my collection. Not lose sleep on items I’ve just missed out on through auctions. 

Pending on if and when we have a pandemic resolution in 2021, I’d like to buy myself a new house, have a decent gaming room display instead of housing them in boxes and letting them suffer in darkness. 😢

• Like 3

For my personal goals, I want to cut back a bit on buying games and invest that money in getting my battle station operational. I already have a couple of TVs setup and all of my games are shelved, but I need to finish hooking up working hardware and start buying cap kits and batteries for replacements. I can do that work, I've just not prioritized it much in the past 5 years I started seriously collecting.  I have a lot of really classic games for systems like the Genesis but I can't play them because I've not prioritized recapping my model 1... for four years.

It's time to stop packing the shelves for a bit and start getting to work.  In fact, I'm not afraid of the work because I enjoy it.  I just don't prioritize my extra cash to buy the parts and components I need, but at least I got a head start on some of that in Q3 of 2020.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Things have gotten really competitive around here Famicom wise, and with covid-19, I don't think now is the right time to shoot for some obscure carts I want from countries with less-than stellar postal systems. And the local games I am missing, I haven't found over the past ten years so I won't set expectations there.

That said, I'm going to set a few goals.

#1: I want to get more homebrew / indie games, both for NES , Famicom, and possibly some for Game Boy. I've really been getting into these recently, and I sort of see it as the new frontier.

#2: I plan to reinventory everything, and try to organise it somewhat better. I'm at the point where I need to stuff items in totes, or have it all spilling over into my living room, which I don't want. Thing is, although I collect games and enjoy multiple aspects about them, it's only just one small portion of who I am as a person. The shear volume of games would make many people think otherwise, and as such, I just prefer to keep it in the game room.

#3: I want to curate my collection of and trim some of the fat. And there's a lot.

#4: Grab a few more cheapie og Xbox Taiwan releases?! Maybe even grab an Xbox so I can try them out 🤣

#5: Actually do more gaming.

Not sure if I can help out at all, but there is a store I go to that has famicom games in boxes behind the counter that you have to ask for. As far as I can tell, I’m the only person buying anything out of them the last few years. 
I would be willing to see if there is stuff you want/need.

• Like 1

Looks like I got a negative reaction (maybe? what's Wow mean when you say your goal is to downsize?)

A picture being worth a thousand words: here's part of my collection being boxed up for moving (ignore the obvious garage junk in the corners):

20210104_084117.jpg.ca4c493082f365ee3ecd4eea5d51aecf.jpg

This is only 25-30% of the collection that I need to pack up and move, too.

Edited by nrslam
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

19 minutes ago, nrslam said:

Looks like I got a negative reaction (maybe? what's Wow mean when you say your goal is to downsize?)

A picture being worth a thousand words: here's part of my collection being boxed up for moving (ignore the obvious garage junk in the corners):

Not negative. Not gonna lie, I went to see if you had a FS thread up right away.😁

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nrslam said:

Holy shit, bro! Hit me up if you have some good CIB stuff to sell. It's easier to ship things away than it is to move them! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Not negative. Not gonna lie, I went to see if you had a FS thread up right away.😁

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Holy shit, bro! Hit me up if you have some good CIB stuff to sell. It's easier to ship things away than it is to move them! 

Its gotten too late in the moving process to deal with selling and shipping individual items, so I don't have a choice but to move it now and thin it later. Which is why that's my 2021 goal.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nrslam said:

Its gotten too late in the moving process to deal with selling and shipping individual items, so I don't have a choice but to move it now and thin it later. Which is why that's my 2021 goal.

I feel ya man. I also moved this year and it always makes me want to downsize. Good luck with the move!

I started 2020 with something like 120 manuals to go in my Genesis set, and I’m now down to 60. I’d like to cut that number in half yet again over the next year (I’d prefer to just knock them out completely, but there are certain manuals that I haven’t seen for sale in any fashion in months and months).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nrslam said:

I recently moved too and it had me questioning why my collection was so big.  If you want to part with some Dreamcast stuff, let me know!  Lol.  Good luck with the move btw

5 hours ago, Nickfraun said:

I’m gonna get a Stadium Events. Had a seller back out a the last minute a few months back...But 2021! I’m gonna get it. Anyone here who see this and is contemplating selling theirs shoot me a message 

Good luck man. If you stumble on a CIB copy for sale in your search, let me know...

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I don't have any specific expansion goals really, other than finding any Mint Sealed / CIB games of interest that I come across.

I do have a pruning goal, need to trim the collection a bit.  Constant struggle of running out of room.  I also don't want to pass down 3,000 games to my children when I go.  I'm only turning 37 this year but I do want to refocus my collection a bit.  Natural progressions of a collector!

• Like 3