IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 99/677
4 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Athena is done. I am a sucker for Micronics ports.

Does that mean 1942 is next for you?

"A sucker for Micronics ports"... We really do have every kind of weirdo on this board, or so says the guy who unironically loves the first NES Home Alone, which I might just have to play today.

But I guess I'll start today with Mega Man 4, since Gaia seems to have passed on it.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 110/677
13 hours ago, PII said:

I think one of the most amazing thing about gaming for me is finding / playing the obscure stuff that has been frequently rejected and or just overlooked.  Even if something doesn't turn out to be a kick-ass cart, It's likely to be unique in some way.  I think one thing that turns a lot of gamers off is having to get used to unique controls over and over as opposed to playing something that feels like Mario etc.  Before I played Cool World I'd always heard that the controls sucked, but they are solid except for a quirk or two and have a unique feel that makes the game flowable and fun once you get 'em down.

I totally agree here. Unique (and in some cases ‘unintuitive’) control schemes are often too quickly dismissed as ‘bad’. And games with steeper learning curves are often written off as ‘too hard’. There’s a lot of NES games that while they aren’t great or considered classics, they’re still fun and worth playing. 

Also, Cool World has been on my radar to buy. 🙂

On a side note I ran into a strange glitch on level 7 for the first time.  After being knocked off a ledge by the level's namesake gauntlet point ("the nasty one"[you'll def. understand if you get there]) I climbed back up to the point pictured and one of the lifts was missing, making it impossible to progress.  You can't see it in this pic. but also, the platform where the little frog is in the pic didn't have it's hydraulic lift part under the platform although it would still raise up and down.  I went down and back up a few times but nothing changed back so I decided to try and jump in between the lift-platform and the ledge.  When the platform came back down I was able to shoot but officially stuck just the same with no other option than to let the timer run down.  

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 1.27.26 PM.png