IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

@BeaIank

I should've known that you'd been too quiet for too long. Just drop in to say you've dusted off Lemmings and you're thinking about Arkanoid next. Outstanding! Do you have an NES-to-USB adapter for your computer? I have one, and it was pretty easy to use, but I've never tried to plug my Vaus controller into it before.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, nerdynebraskan said:

@BeaIank

I should've known that you'd been too quiet for too long. Just drop in to say you've dusted off Lemmings and you're thinking about Arkanoid next. Outstanding! Do you have an NES-to-USB adapter for your computer? I have one, and it was pretty easy to use, but I've never tried to plug my Vaus controller into it before.

I have been really busy with work lately and in the last month busted my left wrist pretty bad, but I have been slowly chipping Lemmings away a few levels every night for a while now, all set up to finish it on my birthday.

I don't have one of those adapters, but I will look into it though.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 592/677

I put a couple of hours into Super Spike V'Ball this afternoon. The control scheme feels a little too complicated. I was definitely diving away from balls when I was waiting under them to bump/set (since the "A" button controls both of those moves). I can see where this game is a classic to someone who may have grown up with it, but I'm not sure I will have the patience to master the complex moves needed to outsmart and outmaneuver the tough computer teams at the end of the World Cup. By the way, why is World Cup required for this game? The U.S. circuit apparently has an ending with a nearly identical end screen.

I will probably be starting Roger Clemens MVP Baseball this week, unless someone is already playing it or eager to clear it for the first time. It'll be a nice de-stresser while I'm trying to learn a few new games.

Also, is anyone currently playing Destiny of an Emperor or planning to imminently? A nice, turn-based game may be less aggravating to me right now.

13 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Sailed around Africa/Asia/Europe with a short stop at Australia last night. Gonna do some requests for the king and then tackle the. New world today. Not sure how long Uncharted Waters is, but feeling like I'm at least over halfway.

Just keep doing errands for the King, and at some point when your rank is high enough, a final "important errand" will be triggered.  The weird thing, for me, is that this final job is always triggered before I get the top rank available in the game, so I don't know what you would have to do to max out your rank before that last job comes around...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just keep doing errands for the King, and at some point when your rank is high enough, a final "important errand" will be triggered.  The weird thing, for me, is that this final job is always triggered before I get the top rank available in the game, so I don't know what you would have to do to max out your rank before that last job comes around...

It's so slow raising my rank now that I can't just find new ports. Tracking down pirates and tasks to raise your game is a pain now. Also ship battles suck. I really enjoyed the first half of the game, but the back end is dragging hard.

Edited by Crabmaster2000
Spelling

On 3/2/2021 at 11:56 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I never figured that one out either. I usually end a couple of ranks below the top.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 594/677

I never did get any thoughts on the question I asked the other day. Why is the World Cup listed as necessary to clear Super Spike V'Ball?

I just played through and won the American Circuit. After winning those five matches against U.S. teams, I did get a nice ending with music, a nice trophy screen, credits, and then The End.

World Cup is seven matches long, against tougher computer players. I couldn't do better than the fifth opponent when I played there. I just went to YouTube and saw the ending on World Cup. It's literally the same exact thing, except it has a different trophy screen (and the trophy for World Cup is much larger and more impressive).

I'm about to start Roger Clemens MVP Baseball.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

6 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I never did get any thoughts on the question I asked the other day. Why is the World Cup listed as necessary to clear Super Spike V'Ball?

I just played through and won the American Circuit. After winning those five matches against U.S. teams, I did get a nice ending with music, a nice trophy screen, credits, and then The End.

World Cup is seven matches long, against tougher computer players. I couldn't do better than the fifth opponent when I played there. I just went to YouTube and saw the ending on World Cup. It's literally the same exact thing, except it has a different trophy screen (and the trophy for World Cup is much larger and more impressive).

Where do you see World Cup listed with Super Spike? They come together on a multi-cart, but that's crossed off on the list, and both are listed individually.  World Cup was already beat, and Super Spike V'Ball is listed at 6 (+1) points.

4 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

Where do you see World Cup listed with Super Spike? They come together on a multi-cart, but that's crossed off on the list, and both are listed individually.  World Cup was already beat, and Super Spike V'Ball is listed at 6 (+1) points.

On @scaryice's list of special conditions for beating games, there is an entry for Super Spike V'Ball and it says that we must win the World Cup mode of that game. I am asking for clarification on that, since World Cup just seems like a harder version of the American Circuit. Winning either mode brings up an elaborate ending, and those endings are 90% identical. There's no condescending "Play it on hard next time" fake ending message for beating the American Circuit.

30 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

On @scaryice's list of special conditions for beating games, there is an entry for Super Spike V'Ball and it says that we must win the World Cup mode of that game. I am asking for clarification on that, since World Cup just seems like a harder version of the American Circuit. Winning either mode brings up an elaborate ending, and those endings are 90% identical. There's no condescending "Play it on hard next time" fake ending message for beating the American Circuit.

The conditions say "Super Spike V'Ball    Win a World Tournament" ... not World Cup... maybe the terminology there is wrong?... I mean I guess scary can answer but I don't see what you mean...

Edited by WashYourFace

8 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I guess it's one of those legacy conditions from AdamL's faq. Nobody's brought it up in all the years of doing these threads. Given that it has the same ending with it clearly saying "The End," I get why it would make sense to count it just from playing the American circuit. On the other hand, you could argue that it's technically not a difficulty option since it never mentions anything like that. I mean, it is in everything but name, but... If I was playing it and I only wanted to play one of the two, I would pick World Cup since that just seems more important than American. Actually, I would probably play both for my own peace of mind. Maybe that would be a better condition in the future? It's like if you were playing a war game, and the options were "conquer Canada" or "conquer the entire globe," it would feel weird to call it beaten after just taking Canada. For now, I'll go ahead and count it as cleared for 2021.

Interestingly, the Japanese version has only one mode and you have to basically play through both circuits at the same time - although, it has a separate difficulty option. That might the fastest way to clear it in the future:

https://tcrf.net/Super_Spike_V'Ball

2 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Apparently I was only a Baron and not a Count like I thought. Man the late game in this drags so much. Hopefully today I can finish it up today.

I don't remember it dragging that much, but I've only played the game once, and that was when I beat it several years ago. (I played New Horizons a lot more). But if you think this drags late game, then get ready for Pirates. Because it definitely does, if you want to get over 100%. (I think you only need 95 though to get the highest rank, but still)

10 hours ago, scaryice said:

I guess it's one of those legacy conditions from AdamL's faq. Nobody's brought it up in all the years of doing these threads. Given that it has the same ending with it clearly saying "The End," I get why it would make sense to count it just from playing the American circuit. On the other hand, you could argue that it's technically not a difficulty option since it never mentions anything like that. I mean, it is in everything but name, but... If I was playing it and I only wanted to play one of the two, I would pick World Cup since that just seems more important than American. Actually, I would probably play both for my own peace of mind. Maybe that would be a better condition in the future? It's like if you were playing a war game, and the options were "conquer Canada" or "conquer the entire globe," it would feel weird to call it beaten after just taking Canada. For now, I'll go ahead and count it as cleared for 2021.

Interestingly, the Japanese version has only one mode and you have to basically play through both circuits at the same time - although, it has a separate difficulty option. That might the fastest way to clear it in the future:

https://tcrf.net/Super_Spike_V'Ball

I don't know about the war game analogy.

Another sports game that has a similar vibe for me is Super Play Action Football on the SNES. It gives you three options when you start it up: High School, College, and Pro (NFL? I can't remember if it has an NFL license or not as I haven't played it in years). High School is really easy, but only has a single-game mode. The Pro mode was so hard I don't remember ever winning a game. But on College, you could play either a single game or an 11-game regular season plus a bowl game if you did well. I actually won several national titles on the college level back when I played a lot of SPAF 20+ years ago, but like I said above, I don't remember ever winning a single game at the Pro/NFL level.

With a sports game, more prestigious circuits (NCAA vs. NFL in SPAF or American Circuit vs. World Cup in Super Spike V'Ball) seem to me to be an obvious opportunity to have a difficulty switch without using the word "difficulty."

I really don't see an issue with having to complete both American & World Cup for the clear of Super Spike V-ball. I mean, they're both part of the game...

It's been awhile since I've played it but I do recall World Cup being being significantly more difficult than American Circuit. But once you get the hang of it, it only takes like 30-40 minutes to get through WC.. So it's not like it's some 40+ hour slog like completing a season of Bases Loaded.

Put in a lil more work and embrace the challenge, Nerdy! You got this!

10 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Apparently I was only a Baron and not a Count like I thought. Man the late game in this drags so much. Hopefully today I can finish it up today.

Yeah, it drags near the end if you're hunting for an ending so that you can move on to other games, but if you're playing it without that end-goal in mind (and since it's one of the only open-world sandbox games on the NES, it's kinda refreshing to not have to play it that way), triggering the final mission is more of an alarm clock going off to let you know that you've probably played long enough and it's time to finish up and get on with your life... 🙂

I’ve been working on Knight Rider. I figured everything that’s still on the board and hasn’t been cherry-picked is going to be frustratingly difficult - and holy hell Knight Rider delivers in spades!

Pretty steep learning curve to get the hang of things, but once you do it isn’t too too crazy.... until you get to the final level + boss gauntlet. “Karr” the final boss battle is straight up obnoxious. Like, it’s hard enough just to get to him, by then he’s too fast and deals too much damage. So frustrating.

I’m gonna continue to grind it out... Anyone who’s tackled this game in the past have any thoughts/advice?

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, it drags near the end if you're hunting for an ending so that you can move on to other games, but if you're playing it without that end-goal in mind (and since it's one of the only open-world sandbox games on the NES, it's kinda refreshing to not have to play it that way), triggering the final mission is more of an alarm clock going off to let you know that you've probably played long enough and it's time to finish up and get on with your life... 🙂

I dunno about that. It's literally just the same missions you've been doing the entire game over and over and over again with very little variety. This would get repetitive and monotonous for most players even without hunting for an ending. 

Speaking of which I spent 3 hours trying to track down a pirate that was never where I was told he would be. Eventually got fed up and went back to the king to cancel the mission and attempt a new one, sailed literally one screen away and the pirate I was hunting for appeared on screen......

I am definitely now a count though so hopefully I can get this done over the weekend. 

• Haha 1