IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

But if it does come to requiring photos of end screen, I'll have to walk away from this thread. I don't emulate games, and I don't have a smart device to easily take pictures and share them to the Internet.

The honor system has worked for a decade; I don't see a problem there.  Someone just needs to have a pm conversation with Mae and get clarification on what games s/he beat as per the guidlines and everything should be fine...

• Like 1

So I hate to wade into this minefield, but the reason I've been pretty quiet since Jan 1 is that I've been silently playing 5-6 mind-numbing games of Bases Loaded a day while most of you have been feasting on 1 and 2 point bonbons 😀. I took a screenshot of where I am right now, starting the 61st game.

IMG_2245.jpg.55651e0c296c3962c5a5cfa9b73abf46.jpg

I've gotten better so that it's about 3 hours per game, but I have had an annoying thing happen about 4 times where the game has frozen after I hit a home run after inning 6 with multiple people on base.

If Mae has won 80 games and won the pennant, then I'll chalk it up to me being too clever by half and just finish the game out for my personal list and shits and giggles. It just doesn't seem possible to beat bases loaded 1-4 along with all those other games in 11 days, though, so there seems to be a misunderstanding on @Mae247's part about the winning conditions on some of these games.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

If Mae has won 80 games and won the pennant, then I'll chalk it up to me being too clever by half and just finish the game out for my personal list and shits and giggles. It just doesn't seem possible to beat bases loaded 1-4 along with all those other games in 11 days, though, so there seems to be a misunderstanding on @Mae247's part about the winning conditions on some of these games.

At 225 games, let's say 15 minutes a game, that would take over 5 hours a day to clear all of them by 1/11. Not to mention all the other games on that list.

To be honest, Mae's clears last year were pretty suspect as well. He just happened to beat some of the hardest, most often unbeaten games on a daily basis last January:

1/19 - lunar pool
1/20 - championship pool, 1943
1/21 - rally bike
1/22 - infiltrator
1/23 - motor city patrol
1/24 - flying warriors
1/25 - dungeon magic

Most people who beat hard games celebrate more, and talk about strategies and their experiences getting through it. They don't just drop in, beat a ton of hard games, and leave without any discussion. So it's very suspicious. Plus, there's this thread which is basically the same type of behavior of something amazing every day, but with finds rather than NES clears:

And while we're on the subject, I've always felt Bea's clears were suspicious as well. I mean, when people like Daniel Doyce and Crabmaster say 'how did you do that so quickly,' they're basically saying 'you didn't fucking cheat, did you?' It's not just Championship Pool, it's many other games over the years as well. At least if she's cheating, it's been done in a less intelligence insulting way.

It makes me wonder if we've ever even beaten the whole list legit...probably not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I definitely wasn't accusing Bea of anything, just to be clear. I hated Championship Pool and was genuinely curious about how to tame that beast. She even offered to replay it and record it for those of us maniacs who want to learn how to beat that game.

I didn't want to say this outright before, but I do think Mae is rather clumsily trying to pull a fast one again. I also noticed his amazing clears last year but held my tongue at the time. He / she is the only one whose results I'm questioning, however, and hope this doesn't turn real ugly real fast.

RE: @scaryice's comments:

Most of those completions in and of themselves aren't especially suspicious. That's why my initial question was just were the terms of this challenge met? My suspicion upon first reading the second list was, "did dude just beat single games of those time sink sports games and not realize there was a season mode?"

I also checked out the finds thread you linked to. I think their luck is plausible, for a couple of reasons. First of all the stuff targeted is handheld and about 10 years old. That puts DS/3DS games into the sweet spot where the stuff is too old for modern gamers and yet too new to be "retro" yet; that translates into rock-bottom demand and reputation. Second of all, the thread petered out after about a month.

Honestly, I knew guys here 4-5 years ago who were legitimately doing stuff like that with NES/SNES stuff even after the prices had started going berserk. They were hustling really hard with the "Pawn Stars" dream of making that money on the resale. The ones who post the "buying old games" ads on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. The ones who drive around all morning on yard sale Saturdays. As someone who bulked up my collection through scavenging old collections and resale, I certainly know the thrill of the hunt. (But I did it more passively over a much longer period of time.)

If you only saw their brag posts with the piles of loot, you'd think it was miraculous (or suspicious). They got really cool stuff for cheap, at least at the literal point of purchase. But none of those guys are still into retro games now, because they burned out on the true costs of their hunting. Once you start dividing the cash value of your loot by the sheer number of hours it takes to track it all down, you realize you aren't even getting the equivalent of minimum wage. And after no more than a few months of feeding frenzy,, you quickly notice that your local market has been depleted. A finite number were produced to begin with, and you've already found most of the folks who a) still had stuff and b) were willing to sell it for "junk" prices.

As far as the suspicions towards Bea, I found those more surprising. I just assume that she and some of the heavyweights who frequent the weekly contests are just much stronger players than I am. I know that skill levels vary as much as experience levels do, and I've considered my skill level below-average for many years in relation to my experience level. I'm not fishing for pity or anything, but I was born with a few minor birth defects against my hand-eye coordination and motor/reflex quickness. I simply don't have the twitch reflexes that some of our shooter aces have. For me, beating games is a question of memory and strategy. For others with more tools in their toolboxes, they can sometimes do more and faster with less effort. (And that might speak to Mae as well...)

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted

I will just say that I will always gladly abide to give clarifications on how I have beaten any game or even further proof if needed.
I have done this before during my tenure as a competitor on the weekly contest, posting videos of certain scores, reverse engineering games to figure out how certain systems work, like the wand in Marble Madness and posting extensive details on how to score better on GnG.

CrabMaster and Daniel asked for tips on how to beat Championship Pool to either add the game to their library of beaten ones or to do it more easily in the future, so as I promised Crabmaster, I will take time on this weekend to redo my run, record the later stages and add annotations to make their lives easier.
I am pretty okay with doing that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Most of those completions in and of themselves aren't especially suspicious. That's why my initial question was just were the terms of this challenge met? My suspicion upon first reading the second list was, "did dude just beat single games of those time sink sports games and not realize there was a season mode?"

Maybe I'm just a more cynical person, I guess. I certainly hope that's the case.

19 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

As far as the suspicions towards Bea, I found those more surprising. I just assume that she and some of the heavyweights who frequent the weekly contests are just much stronger players than I am."

I mean, people have questioned that before to me, at least in pm's anyway. BTW, don't sell yourself short, you seem like a strong player to me. Plus, you never play actual hard games, so I know you're not a cheater! (lol)

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 366/677

Thank God I didn't include a cheater in my DW3 run. We spent so much time together. She had killer stats in that game, for the record. Never let me down with crits either.

I'm working on Little Ninja Brothers next - I beat it a couple years ago with a friend co-op, will be interesting to see if it's much harder to beat solo. Also mentioning this because it's a long game, so if someone else is going to take a crack at it we don't both get 90% done with it before realizing one of us is wasting our time.

@Mae247

I'm not mad at ya, and I've seen several others here simply asking for clarification.  I would simply suggest that you review the clear conditions for exceptional titles at https://pastebin.com/ADXEAdn3 and retract any claims to games that you have not met the terms for and/or reiterate the ones you have definitely beaten. I've had a few misunderstandings here in my years of participation as well. No shame in that.

• Like 1

Hey @Mae247 don’t feel unwelcome just consider that scary puts a lot of time into managing this thread and he does an excellent job keeping track of the different stats it’s also nice that he keeps it accessible by not requiring pictures but you gotta realize how it comes off to guys like him or nerdy when you drop a list of games without providing any context or checking the completion conditions, it just diminishes what they do

i don’t think just because it’s being discussed you should feel like you don’t want to contribute, there’s no shame in being good at games

• Like 1

@Daniel_Doyce

i did championship pool last month the advice I would give is to just really take your time on each and every shot, you really have to get creative against some of the later opponents.  Basically check all the different power levels with all the different amounts of spin. I would routinely spend ten plus minutes on a single shot to figure out my best option.  Another thing that tricked me was the ghost ball only ricochets like twice so sometimes it looks like it disappears into the pocket but really it’s grazing the cushion and missing.

• Like 1

0 doubt in bea's ability to beat crazy hard games becuase I have seen her play via video and seen her post endscreens to difficult games over and over for years. She also provides tips and tricks to those games whenever asked and generally posts only 1 heavy hitter in a day's time. She usually announces that she is working on it long before posting it complete as well. 

Aside from just the big list of games, the response to our inquiries was, eh, concerning? After several posts about it not being possible, only real answer addressing it is "may have misunderstood for bases loaded." You know whether you played 250 games of baseball or not in 10 days time. You would think one would quickly own that, clarify what he/she did on some of the other clears, especially long sports like goal 2 and tecmo bowl, etc. 

I saw that all Mae clears have been removed. Is that going to be the end of that or are we looking at verifying some and putting them back up there? Wondering if Id be wasting time to play through some of the non bases loaded games Mae posted as beat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I saw that all Mae clears have been removed. Is that going to be the end of that or are we looking at verifying some and putting them back up there? Wondering if Id be wasting time to play through some of the non bases loaded games Mae posted as beat. 

If it makes a difference, I plan on playing Strider tonight regardless of the decision made on this so the question of whether those points are back up for grabs or not will be tested pretty soon. No need to hurry to decide this on my account, though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

As far as the suspicions towards Bea, I found those more surprising. I just assume that she and some of the heavyweights who frequent the weekly contests are just much stronger players than I am. I know that skill levels vary as much as experience levels do, and I've considered my skill level below-average for many years in relation to my experience level. I'm not fishing for pity or anything, but I was born with a few minor birth defects against my hand-eye coordination and motor/reflex quickness. I simply don't have the twitch reflexes that some of our shooter aces have. For me, beating games is a question of memory and strategy. For others with more tools in their toolboxes, they can sometimes do more and faster with less effort. (And that might speak to Mae as well...)

I played in the weekly contests regularly for the first time this year and the abilities of the regular players are frankly amazing. Bea is a mod now, but she sometimes puts up scores for fun that are verifiable and crazy. And we are lucky she is a mod and not a participant or she would probably win every week. Go back and look at the scores when she participated. They are absurd. Same goes for Red. 

Nerdy, you should get in on the contests when they resume. You dont have to finish first for them to be fun and the game selection is awesome. Lots of games you otherwise wouldn't get into that are a ton of fun playing for score. Like you, I dont have the ability to hang with the heavy players in the weekly contests, but I sure have had a good time trying. And with the competition being so tough, I do get really excited on the rare occasions I find myself on the podium, even if its just because the better players didnt like the game or put lots of time in. But yeah, I wouldnt ever doubt Bea, Doug, mbd39, deafcode, etc. when it comes to this thread. If @bertsampson ever joined in here, I wouldnt doubt him either and he would have a new forum for beating our butts. 

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I played in the weekly contests regularly for the first time this year and the abilities of the regular players are frankly amazing. Bea is a mod now, but she sometimes puts up scores for fun that are verifiable and crazy. And we are lucky she is a mod and not a participant or she would probably win every week. Go back and look at the scores when she participated. They are absurd. Same goes for Red. 

Nerdy, you should get in on the contests when they resume. You dont have to finish first for them to be fun and the game selection is awesome. Lots of games you otherwise wouldn't get into that are a ton of fun playing for score. Like you, I dont have the ability to hang with the heavy players in the weekly contests, but I sure have had a good time trying. And with the competition being so tough, I do get really excited on the rare occasions I find myself on the podium, even if its just because the better players didnt like the game or put lots of time in. But yeah, I wouldnt ever doubt Bea, Doug, mbd39, deafcode, etc. when it comes to this thread. If @bertsampson ever joined in here, I wouldnt doubt him either and he would have a new forum for beating our butts. 

Unfortunately the weekly contests require taking pictures.

i was so lazy for last year's contests. I just wanted to rank high enough to make the tournament.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Unfortunately the weekly contests require taking pictures.

i was so lazy for last year's contests. I just wanted to rank high enough to make the tournament.

I posted and removed it last night that I would send nerdy a phone that takes photos if hed use it. I thought it sort of came across as questioning his beats or lumping him in the Mae category, which was NOT at all the intent, so I removed it. But it would be fun to get him in the weeklys and Im sure there is an old smart phone in my house somewhere that Id be happy to part with if it got another good player to get involved each week. 

Nerdy, the other thing I forgot to mention that the weeklys also can provide a new experience with games you have played for years. We played SMB 1 this year for score. A totally different experience than speed running it. You would have a blast with stuff like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I posted and removed it last night that I would send nerdy a phone that takes photos if hed use it. I thought it sort of came across as questioning his beats or lumping him in the Mae category, which was NOT at all the intent, so I removed it. But it would be fun to get him in the weeklys and Im sure there is an old smart phone in my house somewhere that Id be happy to part with if it got another good player to get involved each week. 

Nerdy, the other thing I forgot to mention that the weeklys also can provide a new experience with games you have played for years. We played SMB 1 this year for score. A totally different experience than speed running it. You would have a blast with stuff like that. 

Kung Fu is another good example of this. Most people just beat the first loop and move on. Playing it for high score is a totally different beast and makes for a much deeper and more rewarding experience.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

The weekly contest is always full with extremely skilled players.
Red is mad good, he is at least twice the player I am, Bert is a cyborg, Tablew skill is legendary, Arnpoly who bested me at SMB for the championship, Guil, when he played, was out of this world. Then we also have heavy weights like mbd39, Skinny, Richard among others.
Whenever faced against those, I was never sure I could get top 3 in a given week.

If you want to test your skills for score or quick adaptability to the games variables, join them there this year.

You will all be very welcome!

• Sad 1