IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Finished Jordan vs Bird. First two modes went pretty quick, but 3 pt shooting took some practice. I get the criticism, but its far from the bottom of the list for me. The 1 on 1 seems broken when you first try. I dont think the manual mentions it, but you can hold down B as a seemingly unlimited turbo button. That makes it a lot more playable. The dunk contest is a little frustrating because I cant score as high as the cpu and dont know why, but the cpu misses some making it easy to clear. 

Not a great game, but not godawful by any means in my book. I think itd be a crack up to play it 2-player

Yeah, I didn't mind Jordan vs. Bird too much at all (I beat it for the completion effort 2 years ago, I think it was?). (EDIT: Ha, it was 2016 -- yikes!)

The slam dunk contest was irritating, but the main game seemed heavily loaded in favor of Bird to me -- you can just nail 3-pointers all day, and attrition will gradually give you the game even if Jordan scores more often.

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

Yeah, I didn't mind Jordan vs. Bird too much at all (I beat it for the completion effort 2 years ago, I think it was?). The slam dunk contest was irritating, but the main game seemed heavily loaded in favor of Bird to me -- you can just nail 3-pointers all day, and attrition will gradually give you the game even if Jordan scores more often.

True about bird. Once you learn how to rebound, you can really take it to jordan between 3s and little step back jumpers after boards. I blew a few 15+ point leads because of the most irritating feature of any game I've played recently - if you press the start button during any event, it resets the game. I am constantly having to come and go and its second nature to press the freaking start button to pause. 

6 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Bard's Tale is done. It's a pretty fun game, but that final boss is brutally hard. I had to max out to level 36 and it still took a few very annoying tries.

I missed Ultima: Exodus last year, so I'll try it now

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

Interesting that you say that, I beat TBT for the first time (last year I think?) and I didn't remember maxing out my characters. Just went back and checked and I was level 31 for everyone except one guy was 30. It was definitely a difficult game though, and some of the long dungeons with bosses at the end are brutal on your MP. Fortunately some of the final tiers of spells are also stupidly strong.

4 hours ago, Red said:

Well, my beat a new NES game everyday for as long as I can attempt ended yesterday.  I started playing Silk Worm, but was having trouble with the last stage. 

I'll give Silk Worm another try later today.

I had a similar experience with Silk Worm when I attempted to beat it a few years ago. The game is fun and the challenge is manageable up until the last stage, where it suddenly turns to brutal and borderline unfair IMO.

@Red you were playing as the heli I am guessing? I was too when I was playing it. I’ve heard that playing as the jeep has a steeper initial learning curve, but it’s actually easier to beat the game... I’ll reattempt the game some day with the jeep.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Shatterhand and Slalom are done.

I've been watching a Twitch streamer try to beat Slalom for the last few days and he's having an awful time. His goal is to beat just one mountain and it still seems insurmountable. It looks like a tough game.

17 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I've been watching a Twitch streamer try to beat Slalom for the last few days and he's having an awful time. His goal is to beat just one mountain and it still seems insurmountable. It looks like a tough game.

It is difficult, but I think it's fun. It's another of those random games I played a lot as a kid. I like the black box sports games except for Volleyball. The controls are so bad that I can barely win a game.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

I had a similar experience with Silk Worm when I attempted to beat it a few years ago. The game is fun and the challenge is manageable up until the last stage, where it suddenly turns to brutal and borderline unfair IMO.

@Red you were playing as the heli I am guessing? I was too when I was playing it. I’ve heard that playing as the jeep has a steeper initial learning curve, but it’s actually easier to beat the game... I’ll reattempt the game some day with the jeep.

I also had the same experience with Silk Worm.  I never ever back down on a game when it gets hard; I just hunker down and 'GIT GOOD' no matter how long it takes, but with Silk Worm I just could not beat the final boss, and so I actually gave up after umpteen-thousand attempts and walked away.  By the time I gave up, I had every inch of every level of that game memorized.  I also used the heli, but maybe I should try again someday with the jeep...

• Like 1

Blues Brothers is done.        F This stupid game.  It's not crazy difficult but the rules are irritatingly inconsistent.  If you're lookin' for some awkward spastic platforming to up your game on though, give it a shot.  It's like Mario/Luigi put on suits and ties, gorged on coffee/candy and ran around a world designed specifically to mislead.. Ugghhh.

Edited by PII
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PII said:

Blues Brothers is done.        F This stupid game.  It's not crazy difficult but the rules are irritatingly inconsistent.  If you're lookin' for some awkward spastic platforming to up your game on though, give it a shot.  It's like Mario/Luigi put on suits and ties, gorged on coffee/candy and ran around a world designed specifically to mislead.. Ugghhh.

Blues Brothers.png

Haha I put that one in last year. I cant remember how many games were still on the list, but it was a fast oh hell no, Ill find something else. Even being short and high points, not worth it. I have a wide strike zone with what I can enjoy playing and that thing wasnt even close. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Haha I put that one in last year. I cant remember how many games were still on the list, but it was a fast oh hell no, Ill find something else. Even being short and high points, not worth it. I have a wide strike zone with what I can enjoy playing and that thing wasnt even close. 

Wide strike zone, I like that; same here.  I wouldn't say that I didn't not not like it at all but.... 

Good graphics although lacking in detail.  Great 8-bit renditions of Blues Bros. Music. Nothing bad to say there...

Very frustrating.  Nearly (or just maybe totally) impassable areas without taking a hit (usually I like this.) Inconsistent controls/enemy spawning/enemy behavior...    ...at the very end there's an area with spikes all around you and normally when you die it starts you right where you left off but on my penultimate run I died with one life left and it starts me elsewhere in this little safe spot surrounded by spikes with literally no safe way out because the only way in or out is on a moving platform a mile away.  Ugh.

Programmers must have had a deadline and or just didn't give a whup.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Khromak said:

Interesting that you say that, I beat TBT for the first time (last year I think?) and I didn't remember maxing out my characters. Just went back and checked and I was level 31 for everyone except one guy was 30. It was definitely a difficult game though, and some of the long dungeons with bosses at the end are brutal on your MP. Fortunately some of the final tiers of spells are also stupidly strong.

@Gaia Gensouki

Khromak, I had no issues until the last boss (Magnar). I wasn't even remotely low on MP during the other boss battles.

Do you have any advice on how to beat Magnar? It seems like if he keeps casting Restoration, then you're boned and will eventually run out of MP and need to restart. I had 2 warriors and the bard with Battle skill pummeling him and then the sorcered conjuring wind dragon and the two wizards healing and casting Dragon's Breath once in a while. It really seemed to come down to him not deciding to cast Restoration for several rounds on my 4th attempt.

Do I only need to do one loop for Low G Man?  If so, it is done.

6 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

Yes, I've been using the heli.  I tried with the Jeep a few times, but didn't get very far.  I could see how the stages might be easier with it since it seems some of the enemies will leave the jeep alone.  The bosses seem harder though.  I had some trouble even hitting the first boss.

I played a couple more times today but didn't do any better.  I'll try again tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I also had the same experience with Silk Worm.  I never ever back down on a game when it gets hard; I just hunker down and 'GIT GOOD' no matter how long it takes, but with Silk Worm I just could not beat the final boss, and so I actually gave up after umpteen-thousand attempts and walked away.  By the time I gave up, I had every inch of every level of that game memorized.  I also used the heli, but maybe I should try again someday with the jeep...

Ah, two other people who had the same problem.  Good, it's not just me.  I'm still losing a few lives in the second to last stage.  I'm hoping that if I can no death it until the last stage, all the extra lives I'll have accumulated will get me through it.  So far I've only reached the final boss once with one life left.  It ended so fast that I can't say I'll even know what to do next time I get there!

4 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Do you have any advice on how to beat Magnar? It seems like if he keeps casting Restoration, then you're boned and will eventually run out of MP and need to restart.

That's exactly what happened to me over and over again and why I disliked the end of the game so much. It's even worse because you have to fight your way through that extremely long and difficult dungeon first before you even get an attempt at the final boss.

My party was also completely maxed out and I only managed to beat him once I got rid of my thief and leveled up another magician to cast that ultimate spell which deals a lot of damage. Btw. do you use a map for games like these and do you draw them yourself or take some from the internet?

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 330/677