IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

@WashYourFace@Crabmaster2000 There is a guy who has a couple of speedruns of Shingen on youtube. Basically, by switching between your two starting territories, you can quickly grind to a high level, then strategically battle each daimyo with a very limited force. It turns a 25-30 hour game into a "quick" 5-6.

Hm, thanks for the tip! I haven't played it in some years, but I'll make note of it in case I play it again!

2 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Nice. You did beat the 50 fief scenario right?

Did you use the ninja exploit? That removes most of the tedium of the game since you can conquer a large portion of the fiefs without a battle.

That exploit only works on the lowest difficulty, which, in my opinion, isn't really beating the game.  On the hardest game setting (50 fiefs, skill 5), assassinations only work for the first couple of really weak daimyos, and then you have to skillfully gain territory for the rest of the game (bid or conquer).  Yeah, it takes a ton longer, but it's also a much more satisfying victory...

5 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

It's pretty easy to "beat", but I would put it in the bottom 5 worst licensed NES games of all. The graphics are horrible. It barely even qualifies as a "game". I looked back at my notes when I last played it: "There are different "modes" but they are all very simplistic...this is 1 step above Atari Basketball". LOL just my opinion of course, I'm sure some people out there love it!

That's because it's based on the original Dr. J vs Larry Bird game from 1983, which was probably the first ever decent basketball video game.

(I think this version was from 84)

Edited by scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 305/677
11 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Nice. You did beat the 50 fief scenario right?

Did you use the ninja exploit? That removes most of the tedium of the game since you can conquer a large portion of the fiefs without a battle.

I actually did the 17 fief scenario. Seemed like the ending was the same either way. Hope that counts, but might not then I guess.

With Firehouse Rescue done, we're officially out of 1 pointers. Or, rather, we will be when @scaryicecorrects that I've already beaten Mega Man 5. I posted it between his clear of NFL Football and Bea's Andretti clear on page 16. I can forgive him for the oversight, given that her clear was a lot more impressive than mine.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

I would say Jordan v. Bird is NOT great, though. One of the worst actually.

Finished Jordan vs Bird. First two modes went pretty quick, but 3 pt shooting took some practice. I get the criticism, but its far from the bottom of the list for me. The 1 on 1 seems broken when you first try. I dont think the manual mentions it, but you can hold down B as a seemingly unlimited turbo button. That makes it a lot more playable. The dunk contest is a little frustrating because I cant score as high as the cpu and dont know why, but the cpu misses some making it easy to clear. 

Not a great game, but not godawful by any means in my book. I think itd be a crack up to play it 2-player

20210109_110636.jpg

20210108_234647.jpg

20210108_211401.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

51 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Bard's Tale is done. It's a pretty fun game, but that final boss is brutally hard. I had to max out to level 36 and it still took a few very annoying tries.

I missed Ultima: Exodus last year, so I'll try it now

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

This was a much more positive review than @Gaia Gensoukigave it last year. He pretty well hit a breaking point after clearing that one. Ive never played it, but assume thats a big one to check off the list this early. Next time I pop in my local shop, I'll pick up a copy and check it out. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I agree with you in principle, but the winning condition for the contest is 50 fiefs.

Well, you're the Koei expert here. I guess it's different from the other Koei games because it's not really a different scenario? You're just selecting a number like innings in a baseball game, I suppose.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 312/677

Well, my beat a new NES game everyday for as long as I can attempt ended yesterday.  I started playing Silk Worm, but was having trouble with the last stage.  I decided to put it aside and try an easier looking game, Rollergames.  It was harder than I was expecting (due to the horrendous platforming) and I was unable to beat it before the end of the day.  I finished it up this morning though, so Rollergames is done.

I'll give Silk Worm another try later today.