IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

2 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

I probably just remember Nobunaga being better because I beat it the same time I beat Shingen the Ruler (which isn't a Koei game), and Shingen required a lot of grinding, but Nobunaga was a lot easier. After awhile all these games blend together. Uncharted Waters is much better than those, though. UW2:NH is one of my favorite games on the SNES.

Yeah Shingen is very bland and monotonous

Graphics Team · Posted
19 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I think topping the high score as part of claiming a repeating arcade game is most applicable to a short game like Donkey Kong that may only have five or fewer distinct levels to loop. A longer game like Mappyland is to me more like playing Super Mario Bros or Contra. Sure, the game keeps score, but you're more chasing after the final screen than racking points. Besides, I'm sure you broke the default high score at some point knocking off the lower levels.

15 hours ago, scaryice said:

As nerdy said, that's mainly there for arcade-style games where there isn't an obvious loop point. I don't think it really applies to games where you can continue infinitely. So I'd consider it beaten already.

Sick - I guess that makes sense for a more progression-based game. Glad to knock another one off the list! Today I'm gonna work on Bucky O Hare, then!

-CasualCart

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Dammmmmn, I was going to do tmnt 3 this weekend and rc pro am soon after. Doug apparently stole my playbook waterboy style. 

I've actually been trying to knock off games that I've finished in the weekly contests before. TMNT 3 is a personal favorite and it had been a while since I played RC Pro Am.

Graphics Team · Posted

Bucky O Hare is clear!

I really need to figure out a more effective strategy against the toad boss with the mech legs - it takes me over 10 minutes to beat him using my "play-it-safe" dodging routine haha. This game is always a blast, though!

-CasualCart

928840890_BuckyOHareClear.jpg.829c4f5a45acdf8d46cf8f93f8238774.jpg

• Like 1

Captain Skyhawk is done. No end screen photo becuase there really wasnt one. There was a mission accomplished message after you beat the last boss. By the time I grabbed my phone, it was on a game over screen. WTH would you put a game over screen in after the end?

Generally though, that game is awesome in my book. All the Milton Bradley (marble madness, California games, captain Skyhawk) games I can think of are great

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Captain Skyhawk is done. No end screen photo becuase there really wasnt one. There was a mission accomplished message after you beat the last boss. By the time I grabbed my phone, it was on a game over screen. WTH would you put a game over screen in after the end?

Generally though, that game is awesome in my book. All the Milton Bradley (marble madness, California games, captain Skyhawk) games I can think of are great

I would say Jordan v. Bird is NOT great, though. One of the worst actually.

2 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

I would say Jordan v. Bird is NOT great, though. One of the worst actually.

Challenge accepted! I played through it last year but cant remember if it was fun. Ill pop it in and see if it meets my weird standards. It was def popular, but I never played it until last year

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Challenge accepted! I played through it last year but cant remember if it was fun. Ill pop it in and see if it meets my weird standards. It was def popular, but I never played it until last year

It's pretty easy to "beat", but I would put it in the bottom 5 worst licensed NES games of all. The graphics are horrible. It barely even qualifies as a "game". I looked back at my notes when I last played it: "There are different "modes" but they are all very simplistic...this is 1 step above Atari Basketball". LOL just my opinion of course, I'm sure some people out there love it!

Also, I am stunned to notice that it's worth 8 points. I should grab that, it really is easy to beat.

Edited by WashYourFace

On 1/7/2021 at 6:23 PM, Crabmaster2000 said:

I'll start 2021 off with some KOEI games. Finished Nobunaga's Ambition just today. Going to start on the 2nd one tonight or tomorrow. 

Nobunaga - Ending.JPG

Nice. You did beat the 50 fief scenario right?

Did you use the ninja exploit? That removes most of the tedium of the game since you can conquer a large portion of the fiefs without a battle.

7 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Yeah Shingen is very bland and monotonous

@WashYourFace@Crabmaster2000 There is a guy who has a couple of speedruns of Shingen on youtube. Basically, by switching between your two starting territories, you can quickly grind to a high level, then strategically battle each daimyo with a very limited force. It turns a 25-30 hour game into a "quick" 5-6.

• Wow! 1