IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

KickMaster is done.

Oh, and @PII

I'm flattered that you say I'm an inspiration, but I've never beaten some of the games you cleared today. You have taken down some high-point stuff. I suppose we all have our games that we're experts on. Not to take anything away from you, but one downside to me doing this every year is that I've really devalued some of the games I know better than most people.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

50 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

I am the very prevailer that protect right and justice.
Too bad I died twice while beating Ikari Warriors.

image.png.4bfb9acd6448da6e552d4ff0a395e32e.png

You have my respect; BeaIank; that's probably one of the hardest NES games I've ever attempted. I imagine it's fairly low on randomness, though, so probably easier to learn than some of the toughies out there.

Oh, and The Legend of Kage is done. A little annoying—I feel like sometimes it's a bit of a crapshoot whether you're going to get hit suddenly by an unexpected projectile, even when you're swinging the kodachi regularly—but at least it was short, even with three loops as a requirement.

kage-end.jpg

Oh, another thing: I might take another shot at Evert & Lendl Top Player's Tennis at some point if it doesn't get cleared early on, as the last time I beat it years ago, I don't think I *actually* beat it. The pastebin file for completion requirements says "Must win all tournaments to get the ending (add more details) rank 12 after asmik, rank 8 wimbledon"; would someone who's cleared this in a previous year be able to clarify?

Edited by Elkovsky

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 90/677

@nerdynebraskan Last year, you might recall, I didn't even get around to looking at this until mid-March and you were still active on the thread beating stuff.  Eventually I went back and read through the whole thing and realized I'd want to be relatively clear headed and present on the eve to have any shot at beating the more popular games that I like.  You've definitely beaten a LOT more NES games than I have, it's not close or even comparable, lol, but then I tend to obsess over dedicate to the kind of games a lot of folks find too overbearing or just un-fun.  All the time I spent on the Commodore as a kid probably had a little to do with that.  The more I try to define just how challenging any particular game is relative to another, the more I tend to notice how subjective it seems once I know a game inside and out.  This has easily been my favorite thread over the last year but I can't exactly say that I envy Scary's Duty to it. lol

5 minutes ago, PII said:

@nerdynebraskan The more I try to define just how challenging any particular game is relative to another, the more I tend to notice how subjective it seems once I know a game inside and out.

I have found that as well. Once I got determined to beat a game, sometimes I noticed that it isn't as hard as I thought. There are a few high-point games on here, that I don't think are really that hard (but only because I've beaten them before). Sky Kid for 9+2 points is one example. Side note, how is Crystalis 6+1 points??? In my opinion, it's one of, if not THE best game on the system, and not hard at all. Surprised it's not one of the first off the board like Dragon Warrior.

@WashYourFace That's about what I was getting at.  I generally find the values to be very suitable, but occasionally I'll be a little mystified about one or another.  I think it's really less about challenge and more about what people are and aren't willing to play without some extra kick in the pants.  Most often I'll be playing some game that has say one pain point assigned to it and find myself thinking: One point? and such-and-such has  three?  Ghosts 'n' goblins and Castlevania are hard games, but a lot of people enjoy them.  People have gained some awareness of Crystalis in the last few years, but it wasn't always so.  I grew up with that one myself and for a long time whenever I mentioned it, no one knew what I was talking about.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Strikezone1 said:

Ivan ‘Ironman’ Stewart’s Super Off Road is completed.

I know making it to track 36 suffices the win condition, but I decided to go the distance and play thru all 99 tracks.

Fun game. Probably the best racing game on the NES.

709905EE-9BB5-4EA6-A06F-A624DD6758EB.jpeg

Are you a vampire?  Where are you at?  🤣

On the floor like a kid again i suppose!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elkovsky said:

Oh, another thing: I might take another shot at Evert & Lendl Top Player's Tennis at some point if it doesn't get cleared early on, as the last time I beat it years ago, I don't think I *actually* beat it. The pastebin file for completion requirements says "Must win all tournaments to get the ending (add more details) rank 12 after asmik, rank 8 wimbledon"; would someone who's cleared this in a previous year be able to clarify?

It's got this really stupid structure where your first year on tour doesn't even really count, as you can't amass enough points to play all the Grand Slams and/or it starts midyear (I don't remember the details but it's something like that). The game is quite clear about when it ends, as it has a sequence that tells you to check out some other Asmik game (don't recall which) and has the immortal typo "THANK YOU. THIS IS A GREART MOMENT FOR ME." 😄

Skate or Die is done, and so am I for the night.

@Strikezone1@Jeevan

I'll have you know that I still prefer to sit cross-legged on the floor in front of my TV when I'm gaming, even though I have two nice recliners in my game room. Some habits do die hard, I guess.

@WashYourFace@PII

I largely agree with y'all on game difficulty being a relative thing. I think it comes down to certain types of games SEEMING harder to most players, even in a place like this, based on the dominant tastes of say the American retro gamer. Because platformers are more popular with most of us here than say, puzzle games, there are plenty of people here who have beaten CastleVania or Ninja Gaiden and not as many who are interested in playing games like Rampart. I know it took me many fewer hours to beat Rampart than CastleVania, but I seem to be in the minority of American console gamers who like puzzle games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elkovsky said:

That game is weird because you have to be the reigning champion of all tournaments at a certain point, but the first time that screen comes up you haven't had the opportunity to play all of them. You don't actually have to win every tournament for the early part of the game, but you do need a certain rank to proceed. It's probably easier just to win them all than to think about that, though. But in theory it should be faster to lose on purpose once or twice along the way.

If you got the screen where they say "This is a greart moment for me" then you beat the game.

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Skate or Die is done, and so am I for the night.

@Strikezone1@Jeevan

I'll have you know that I still prefer to sit cross-legged on the floor in front of my TV when I'm gaming, even though I have two nice recliners in my game room. Some habits do die hard, I guess.

@WashYourFace@PII

I largely agree with y'all on game difficulty being a relative thing. I think it comes down to certain types of games SEEMING harder to most players, even in a place like this, based on the dominant tastes of say the American retro gamer. Because platformers are more popular with most of us here than say, puzzle games, there are plenty of people here who have beaten CastleVania or Ninja Gaiden and not as many who are interested in playing games like Rampart. I know it took me many fewer hours to beat Rampart than CastleVania, but I seem to be in the minority of American console gamers who like puzzle games.

I do better sitting cross legged on the floor, but im old, so i spend some time on the floor then on the recliner

17 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I think one of the most amazing thing about gaming for me is finding / playing the obscure stuff that has been frequently rejected and or just overlooked.  Even if something doesn't turn out to be a kick-ass cart, It's likely to be unique in some way.  I think one thing that turns a lot of gamers off is having to get used to unique controls over and over as opposed to playing something that feels like Mario etc.  Before I played Cool World I'd always heard that the controls sucked, but they are solid except for a quirk or two and have a unique feel that makes the game flowable and fun once you get 'em down.

• Like 1

Pretty solid first 24 hours. We ended up with more games beaten than last year's January 1st, including some super annoying ones like Q-bert, Ikari Warriors, Nigel Mansell, Treasure Master, and the Simpsons trilogy. Great job everyone! It was nowhere near the record number of first day completions, but there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between that and finishing all of them (2012, 2015, 2016, 2020).

Day 1
2012 26
2013 164
2014 158
2015 131
2016 132
2017 167
2018 122
2019 73
2020 68
2021 94

• Like 1